Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my engine is blown, and i need to put in a new one ASAP, as i need to sell it. i have a good deal on a '05 accord k24a4. i've heard u could put it in a rsx, as the tsx k24a2 which ive heard a ton about swapping.

so i was wondering what else i would need for this swap to sell it, especially with the ecu. also heard some stuff about the timing chain, different pistons, type-s head, and mounts. i'm gonna have a garage do the swap cause i dont have the time and my tools are out of state. any help would be great. if it doesnt seem that plausible money and time wise, im just gonna put a k20a2 back in.

and in case you're wondering about how the engine blew, the auto-tensioner went, and so the timing chain skipped.

·
One race car :(
4,528 Posts
From what I gathered, you need the k24 timing chain, cover and chain guides. To rev higher you need the type-s oil pump and plug up an oil hole in the 2.4 block.

If you're using the k24a4, you need to replace the pistons to either TSX/CR-V or get aftermarket ones. Rods can be retained unless you want to replace those, too.

EP3 Idler pulley and CR-V passenger side mount will also be needed. I also think a couple of sensors but can't remember them now..

I'm also in the process of swapping in a k24a4 and I'm about to place one big order for everything I need. All of the above plus IB spec rods and wiseco 12.0 CR pistons.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanx. i really appreciate it.

any chance you'd be willing to make a complete list of what you're putting in for the swap not saying im gonna fall it word for word but it would be really helpful. also do u know if anything has to be done with the ecu, i would assume so?

·
One race car :(
4,528 Posts
So far I have:

IPS K2's
CAI, K24 SSR header, custom 3 inch exhaust
Type-R transmission
K-Pro
RBC manifold
Hondata IMG
RC 440cc injectors

K24A4 block going in
K24 timing chain, cover, guides
K20A2 oil pump, guides and chain
K20A2 crank baffle
CR-V timing mount
EP3 Idler pulley

If you plan on using the oil cooler, you'd have to tap open a small hole where the fittings go through. I think you also have to use the k20a2 water pump if you decide to go with the oil cooler. Thats all I can think of for now..

·
Registered
631 Posts
what does the a4 come out of? and i thought a k24 swap was only good if you put the k20 head on

·
regrets selling the rsx
1,195 Posts
a4 block comes out of the accord. the k24a2 out of the tsx has a very similar flowing head like the k20a2. so you can pull some good numbers with a full tsx engine. the other k24 engines have lesser performance oriented head designs. so people swap the k20 head on it for better performance potential.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I hope you realize that the k24a4 is a huge downgrade from your a2...The head is a bottleneck and you have to fix the waterport issue. My buddy in an ep3 has the k24a4 w/ tsx pistons/rods and p&p head with stage 2 s2 cams and he only made high 100s in hp and tq....kinda not worth it. Not trying to bash you cuz you gotta do what you gotta do when your motor blows but don't expect for it to be anywhere close to as fast as it was. Oh and you cannot put the a2 head on the k24a4 without swapping out the pistons since the k24a4 has dome pistons that will hit your valves on an a2 head.

·
12.92 @ 106.8mph
1,555 Posts
I hope you realize that the k24a4 is a huge downgrade from your a2...The head is a bottleneck and you have to fix the waterport issue. My buddy in an ep3 has the k24a4 w/ tsx pistons/rods and p&p head with stage 2 s2 cams and he only made high 100s in hp and tq....kinda not worth it. Not trying to bash you cuz you gotta do what you gotta do when your motor blows but don't expect for it to be anywhere close to as fast as it was. Oh and you cannot put the a2 head on the k24a4 without swapping out the pistons since the k24a4 has dome pistons that will hit your valves on an a2 head.
What head is he running? If he is running a k20a2 head then something is wrong...I don't think anyone in this thread was talking about using the k24a4 head

·
i love light house
4,469 Posts
i did this swap my kpro died, two important questions

1 will a tsx ecu fit the plugs so i can my fucking car on the road? does the fact that the car is supposed to be DBW make a difference?

and two will a type s ecu be a bad idea to run on this motor as long as the car is babied?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Also gonna need pistons, Either k24a1/a2, or aftermarket. The k24a4 has different specs on the pistons and what not from a k24a1/a2, you A2 head will not work with the k24a4 stock pistons, and stuff, different lengths. A2 head will be very unhappy when a Piston comes smashing into it. Many have done this swap on ephatch, all needed aftermarket stuff for the k24a4 with a2 head. Your Ecu will work just fine with K-pro, just upload the proper base map and go from there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts