Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a member request that I add a sway bar review thread. Please keep it in this format. Any non-review will be deleted. If you have questions about the setup, pm/email the member.

- Thanks

Brand:
Thickness: [22mm]
End Links: [stock, hotchkis, etc]
Use: [street, autox, etc]
Pros:
Cons:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
type r
22mm
stock
street and soon autoX
works very well compared to stock and is cheap
no tie bar combo with this

·
Registered
682 Posts
Front:
Brand: Toda
Thickness: 25mm
End Links: Hotchkis Competition
Use: Street, Daily Driver
Pros: Very stiff, maintains balance well, clears race headers
Cons: My installation was a pain, but it was not because of the bar (rusted stock endlinks, truncated time table)

Rear:
Brand: Cusco
End Links: Hotchkis Competition
Use: Street, Daily Driver
Pros: Huge upgrade from stock, car feels VERY stable and responsive
Cons: None yet

·
you will bow to me
3,938 Posts
Brand: Progress
Thickness [front]: 27mm
Thickness [rear]: 22mm
End Links: stock, soon to be Hotchkis
Use: street
Pros: Inexpensive, maintains stock balance
Cons: Non-adjustable, slight understeer

·
type-m?
860 Posts
Brand: Neuspeed
Thickness [rear]: 22mm
End Links: Stock
Use: Street
Pros: As with any rear sway upgrade, it reduced understeer dramatically. Mated to a stock front, there is just a tad of off throttle oversteer in turns. IMO, the subframe reinformcement plate adds cosmetic points as well.
Cons: Expensive compared to other brands, non-adjustable, 22mm will not be thick enough if you plan on adding a bigger front sway.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Brand: Hotchkis
Thickness [front]: 25.4mm
Thickness [rear]: 25.4mm
End Links: Hotchkis
Use: street, autoX, track (someday)
Pros: Good price, 2-position adjustability, handles like a dream
Cons: none yet

·
Registered
21 Posts
JDM 22 on RSX Base...feels more solid and makes a huge difference in cornering. Combined with my new Yokohama AVS db S2's...wow it's a different car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
JDM 22mm rear sway... awesome mod and cheap too. SIGNIFICANTLY decrease understeer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thickness: 22mm plus tie bar
End Links: stock
Pros: affordable, comes with a tie bar for not much more than the JDM bar, more neutral handling, less sway during aggressive cornering
Cons: big "PROGRESS" written across the tie bar can attact unwanted attention, slight decrease in ride quality/comfort from rear wheels

*great budget suspension upgrade in combination with Energy front sway bar urethane bushings and a front strut tower bar (mine is Neuspeed). Much more responsive, tight, connected feeling.

·
clubrsx NO-BODY
5,410 Posts
Front

Thickness: 27mm
Pros/Cons: Gives alot of understeer unless matched with a proper rear sway. I was running a 22mm jdm rear sway and the car was a bit scary to drive... too much understeer.

Brand: Mr. Alex
Pros/Cons: Balances the progress 27mm front bar perfectly... i have a bit of understeer... but all in all the car feels very balanced. I really want to purchase the hotchkis endlinks.. but will wait for the stock ones to break !

·
Registered
306 Posts
itr jdm sway bar
22mm
daily driver

This is one of the best mods I've done to my car. I'm on stock springs and even on the stock springs and stock tires I can really feel a big difference in handling. On ramps are a lot more fun. Body roll is reduced greatly and now the rear end actually comes around. On the shitty stock tires I can get the rear to kinda slide out as I pull out of the turn. Finally understand what oversteer is and why it can be fun/dangerous. But the jdm is good for the street. It's not uncontrollable and makes the car neutral. Changes the car to how it should handle stock.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hotchkis Competition Rear
27mm with two setting. I keep it in the stiffer of the two.
Honda ITR Front.
Custom endlinks. Basically the same spherical bearings as Hotchkis (mine are HDPE lined and I am not sure if the Hotchkis are or not), I machined stainless spacers that are larger in diameter where they mate to the swaybar, for added rigidity.

Use: Used on the street, autocross and track

Pros: Very well balanced. Swaybars have a much smaller downside than stiffer springs to reduce roll. I would always recommend swaybars as one of the most important upgrades.

Cons: If you do not have experience driving a car that can be a little loose in the rear, you may not want to go as radical with the rear bar.

·
Banned
1,504 Posts
Comptech (The no tie bar kit) w/ ES Bushings
22mm
Grey's Endlinks (7thgencivic.com)
Street/AutoX
Easy install and decreased understeer
None

·
Registered
943 Posts
Brand: Progress with tie bar
Thickness [rear]: 24mm
Progress Polyurathane bushings, progress endlinks
Pros: Inexpensive, Neutral feeling, handles way better vs. stock
Cons: None yet

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Brand: Progress Front/Rear Sway Bar Set

Thickness: 27mm front, 22mm rear

Rigidity: approx. 91% stiffer than stock (front), 80% stiffer in rear (comparing "thickness" is rediculous as bigger does not mean stiffer; design, construction, and materials are more likely to affect rigidity)
End Links: Stock

Use: Street, Autocross, Winter Autocross, Rally, Road Course

Pros: Awesome suspension mod, car handles great on any surface including gravel/ice/snow. I can go faster on gravel/ice/snow by purposely understeering into a corner for stability with late brake, and modulate brake/throttle after initial turn-in to rotate car. Car is very stable on highspeed grip cornering and also very easy to drift on pavement and gravel/ice/snow. Car drives however I want it to.

Cons: None (I would probably like to get End Links, but these sway bars dont seem to be of any harm to the stock ones as they're still holding up great)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Temptazn_Mark said:
(comparing "thickness" is rediculous as bigger does not mean stiffer; design, construction, and materials are more likely to affect rigidity)
Actually diameter will effect the "stiffness" (or more accurately the Moment of Inertia) more than just about any other factor. Unless the competitors swaybar is made out of a much softer alloy like aluminum or even titanium, the larger diameter will be the stiffer bar. Quality or grade of steel will effect strength, but not stiffness. Strength is not the same as stiffness.

·
Registered
42 Posts
quick question i have an 04 type s and some one told me not to bother buying a new sway bar but to find someone with an 05 and get theres is the 05 rear sway alot better than the 04 or should i just get a new one not oem

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Todd said:
Actually diameter will effect the "stiffness" (or more accurately the Moment of Inertia) more than just about any other factor. Unless the competitors swaybar is made out of a much softer alloy like aluminum or even titanium, the larger diameter will be the stiffer bar. Quality or grade of steel will effect strength, but not stiffness. Strength is not the same as stiffness.
Sorry, what I meant to say is it can sometimes be inaccurate to compare thickness and comparing the actual % stiffness increase over stock in most cases (in my mind at least) will be more accurate because it rules everything out in the variations in design among different companies. (sorry if that sounds kindof confusing, but you know what I'm getting at?)
:driving:

1 - 20 of 149 Posts