Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
holy crap

those are swirl marks AND holograms to boot.

you have one of two options.

1.) (The best way) Is to pick up the very noob-friendly UDM (ultimate detailing machine) throw on some pads and polish and go at it. Lots of sites about how to use it, i am a constant lurker on autopia.org forums so yeah.

2.) (Not the best way) If you dont want to worry about getting a polisher, i've heard the Meguier's Scratch-X is pretty good. You apply it by hand and rub it in until your arm falls off. The process takes longer and the results will not be nearly as good compared to the UDM approach.

But, honda clear coats are relatively soft so you might get away with this method. Who knows, let me know if you need any more help.

Oh yeah, NBP ftw

·
Registered
648 Posts
1)Porter cable w/ lake country orange cutting pad and Optimum polish
2)Throw on a coat of poorboys ex-p sealant
3)Top off w/ fav wax.

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
read the stickies. search. read.

only an orbital machine with good polish (starting with something somewhat abrasive and then move on to a pure polish) is going to bring that paint back to life.

·
Professional Detailer
5,103 Posts
read the stickies. search. read.

only an orbital machine with good polish (starting with something somewhat abrasive and then move on to a pure polish) is going to bring that paint back to life.

exactly /thread

·
Swingline!!!!!!!!!!!!
108,768 Posts
machine polish > shoulder tendenitis haha

what everyone else said. use a friends buffer, or go buy one. you wont regret it

if you dont want to spend the money, the scratch x is your best option. besides that, get a wax / sealant that has a lot of fillers. you might be able to hide some of the swirls if you are lucky

·
Got another K
1,859 Posts
don't know if this will help but my car got humped.....yes humped by some kid at school with a stud belt on. and i had some minor-heavy scratching used a turtle wax rubbing compound....then used the meguirs scratch-x.....rubbing compound again....then scratch-x once more and it cleared them up better than i had expected it to. the scratch-x should deff work

·
Need Help ?
1,891 Posts
Try going with a Flex more then the UDM or the PC. Flex is the best for new comer that don't need to worry about burn through the paint. Or you can just get a detailer to detail you car for the price of any of this machine.

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
Flex XC3401VRG. A German-
tough true dual-action polisher!
Product review by Terry Freiberg

Many enthusiasts refer to the Porter Cable 7424 as a D-A or dual-action polisher. It isn't. The 7424 is an orbital polisher. This Flex XC3401VRG is a true dual-action machine. There's a huge difference between the two. With the Porter Cable 7424, the pads do not rotate, they oscillate, or jiggle, in a random pattern designed to simulate hand application. The "throw" or amount of "jiggle" is not disclosed by Porter Cable but it is very, very small. With the Flex XC3401VRG, the pads do have a forced circular motion, they rotate or "cut". Plus, as the pads rotate, they oscillate, or move, in a random pattern. Hence the name, dual action.
I dont know about you guys...but my PC does rotate as well as "jiggle"

I would not be against trying this Flex, but I doubt it does it any better then the PC. Especially on soft Honda paint.

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
Read the stickies.

You're going to have to be fairly aggressive to fix that mess.

And address the source of the problem. You are probably using cheap sponges and polyester towels which are causing the swirls.
If you don't want to invest the time and money into doing it yourself, you should at least invest in good washing gear and have a professional start you back at square 1 with a good finish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The paint is soft enough that I doubt you would have to get Optimum Polish aggressive. I bet an Orange Pad with Menzerna IP would work out close to 90% of the swirls.

But the first step. Stop going to swirl-o-matic car washes!!!!! ahhhhh!!! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts