Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do I have swirl marks? What causes them? My car has only seen 7000 miles and has been garaged since bought, and has been washed and waxed often.

-Is the culprit the buffer I use?(It's an older one that doesn't uses foam pads, but ~10inch 'bonnets')
-Is my California car duster causing this?
-just wear and tear from parking outside for ~8 hrs while at school/work?
-rough sponge?

Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
im not too sure, but when you are applying wax, or washing the car. are you doing a circular motion? insead of an up and down, or left and right motion.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_dioxide

Pretty much imagine millions of those pounding into your car. We live in a dust environment where we will get pelted by those every day. And Silica is so fine and hard that it will easily swirl up your car. Obviously there are ways to avoid it. One way is to add coatings to your car such as wax, the point of a clear coat is kinda the same thing except to protect paint. You can slow down, driving faster will increase the speed of silica. Garaging it is also a great way. But once it leaves the garage you have so much stuff that can harm it. The wind moves silica around, the rain isn't pure H2O, debris kicked up from other cars. Even washing your car will create swirls. Towel drying causes swirls, the best way to dry a car is to blow dry it. More dust/dirt particles will stay in the water drop until it falls off the car from blowing it off as opposed to directly putting a towel on and grinding dirt into the clear coat again...

Also, imagine yourself on a motorcycle with a short sleeve shirt. It's night or dusk, 0% chance of sunburn. You ride at 140mph+, come back with what looks like a sunburn when in reality its silica attacking your skin at 140mph+.

If you want a car to be perfect just leave it in the garage, otherwise just let it go and just try to make it look acceptable. But 7000 miles garage sounds kinda fast if your seeing swirl marks already. I went 25k with minor marks on the car.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I know it's only avoidable to a point, I just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything to speed up the process. The marks are nowhere NEAR as bad as the ones I've seen in those professional detailing threads, but they still are there(maybe that's just the perfectionist part of me speaking).

I do wash and wax it a lot; I guess my main question is "Is anything I'm doing to care for my car(read orignal post bullets) creating swirl marks(specifically the rotoray buffer)?"

·
got swirls?
2,366 Posts
improper washing techniques!
:iamwiths:

what causes swirls? theres alot of ways to create swirls

cheap microfiber. dirty california duster. trapped dirt inside your sponge. it could be your buffer too. try using those foam pads made for your 10" buffer they sell some at pepboys for like $6-$9/each

what kind of buffer do u use anyway?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:iamwiths:

what causes swirls? theres alot of ways to create swirls

cheap microfiber. dirty california duster. trapped dirt inside your sponge. it could be your buffer too. try using those foam pads made for your 10" buffer they sell some at pepboys for like $6-$9/each

what kind of buffer do u use anyway?
:ugh: how cheap? Like Target brand cheap?
How dirty? My duster is still red, the other one that I never use anymore(had it for years) is solid gray.

Don't know what type of buffer it is, we've had it forever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts