Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running 5w-30 in my base model from 15k to 65k. Thinking about going to 5w-20 on this oil change. I'm religious with 3k changes, and have been running Castrol Syntec. By recommendation I'd been running the 30 weight, and now I'm wondering if switching over after this many miles will cause any issues. Would still be running the syntec.

Opinions? Facts?

Thanks

Ashley

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Been running 5w-30 in my base model from 15k to 65k. Thinking about going to 5w-20 on this oil change. I'm religious with 3k changes, and have been running Castrol Syntec. By recommendation I'd been running the 30 weight, and now I'm wondering if switching over after this many miles will cause any issues. Would still be running the syntec.

Opinions? Facts?

Thanks

Ashley
pix or ban? :dontknow:

should be no issues. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I'd try what was actually recommended by acura, and see if there was a difference. I'm curious which will offer better protection, and if mileage and power are slightly affected adversely but better protection is offered by the heavier oil, then I'll stay with the 30 weight. I want the engine to last 200K plus. So if the 20 weight was recommended for purposes of eaking out a little more fuel efficiency or power, while sacrificing longeivity, then I'd prefer to use 30.

See where I'm going?

·
:lurk:
1,612 Posts
If you're someplace with hot summers (like I am), I'd stick with 30 weight. The service manual mentions something about using 10W-30 for higher temps, so I'd stick with 5W-30.

·
Retired OG
100,341 Posts
you guys are leghumpers, keep this to the lounge or BAR, just answer the question.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At work, thats why the response is a bit slow.

And I'm a guy.

Thanks for the few actual responses to the question.

Any others?

Today, by the way, its about 80. So we do have some hot summer days. Rarely does it get much hotter than 85 or so.

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
will the change cause issues....no. But if you have been running it for 50k miles then why are you switching?

·
Registered
804 Posts
The difference in 5w-20 vs 5w-30 is negligible. 30 weights generally shear into the 20 range anyway. Think of it as 30 weight beginning viscosity at the very botton end of the SAE 30 ([email protected]+100c) visc range and 20 weights being at the very top (8-9cSt) There is no penalty in wear, and many Used Oil Lab Analysis are out there with super low wear with the 20, regardless of climate. In fact, I know a guy (a Dr.) who uses Motorcraft 5w-20 in his wife's 2005 Lamborghini. If you want 30 weight for summer, go ahead...save the 5w-20 for winter, as it does excel in cold temps. Most people do like the way theor engine revs with the 20 though. On another note, skip on the synth oil unless you are going a full 10,000 miles change interval. Plain Havoline (which is blended thin for it's grade), GTX or Motorcraft can go 10k anyway. I think it's more cost/EFFECTIVE to do half as long intervals with oil that costs half as much, like 5000 miles with plain dino oil vs 10k on synth. Syntec is good stuff, but the real deal is German Syntec 0w-30 from AutoZone.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The difference in 5w-20 vs 5w-30 is negligible. 30 weights generally shear into the 20 range anyway. Think of it as 30 weight beginning viscosity at the very botton end of the SAE 30 ([email protected]+100c) visc range and 20 weights being at the very top (8-9cSt) There is no penalty in wear, and many Used Oil Lab Analysis are out there with super low wear with the 20, regardless of climate. In fact, I know a guy (a Dr.) who uses Motorcraft 5w-20 in his wife's 2005 Lamborghini. If you want 30 weight for summer, go ahead...save the 5w-20 for winter, as it does excel in cold temps. Most people do like the way theor engine revs with the 20 though. On another note, skip on the synth oil unless you are going a full 10,000 miles change interval. Plain Havoline (which is blended thin for it's grade), GTX or Motorcraft can go 10k anyway. I think it's more cost/EFFECTIVE to do half as long intervals with oil that costs half as much, like 5000 miles with plain dino oil vs 10k on synth. Syntec is good stuff, but the real deal is German Syntec 0w-30 from AutoZone.
Hmm, That sounds nice and all but for lazy oilers like moi i'll stay with 5w-20 and Mobile 1 :giggitygiggity:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts