Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I went to go change my oil for the first time since I bought my RSX today.
Jacked the car up crawled underneath and hated the feeling. that filter is a total bitch to reach! Im gonna be taking it in this time I think.

so im gonna go synthetic to stretch my oil changes out further.

anybody use 5w-30 mobile 1 for their base RSX? I used it in my triumph (see avatar to the left) and I guess I pretty much prefer that for synthetic. (castrol for normal oil)

does anyone know what the recommended changes are for synthetic with the RSX? for my bike it was 6000 miles or 6 months and it took a friggin beating!

I would think the RSX would be about the same..
 

·
OG Member
Joined
·
21,422 Posts
some people use mobil1 5w30 because it was easily accessed but mobil1 released 0w20 not too long ago.

filter is hard to access if you are doing from under the car. you can access the filter from the top of the car. it is much easier and less messy (for you).

you can change your oil/oil filter every 5k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
just had my dealer put in mobil 1 5w-30 not too long ago. can't say i have any complaints myself, tho any differences are probably just in my head, lol. but it's worth it for the peace of mind alone, and i mean, 25 or so more bucks for the synthetic every 5-7k isn't really going to break anyone, i don't think.

btw, i think the intervals should still be the same regardless of which kind u use. technically, u probably could stretch it out longer by a bit with synthetic, but i don't think the manual mentions this, and i don't think it's necessary. just change every 5k or so and u'll be fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stryker said:
some people use mobil1 5w30 because it was easily accessed but mobil1 released 0w20 not too long ago.

filter is hard to access if you are doing from under the car. you can access the filter from the top of the car. it is much easier and less messy (for you).

you can change your oil/oil filter every 5k

ya know I looked down the top of the engine before I went under the car to find the filter. I couldnt see it so then I crawled under and still didnt find it.

to make long stories short, I gave up trying to find it. the diagram in the manual seems a bit off, then again maybe its me.

anyway, after reading your post I went back out to the car this morning, looked down and presto. ya the filters gonna be a peice of cake (thank GOD!)

so I guess i'll go grab some synthetic after work and change my oil myself :p

thanks for the nudge in the right direction!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,091 Posts
sawwbuzz said:
so im gonna go synthetic to stretch my oil changes out further.
..
how long an interval are you planning on leaving your oil changes?
in dad's Odyssey we used Motul 8100 and changed it after 10,000km and the engine oil was gone...bone dry.. :nervous:

also i used Motul 300V on my base rsx and after 8000km it was already running pretty low...
but i'm sure 6000km should be ok..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not sure really. Probably 6000-6500 miles and no longer than 5 months. checking it every 1500 to 1700 miles. I'll change the filter out at every oil change as well.

honestly if you change out your synthetic every 3000-4000 miles your just pissing it away. you may as well use conventional oil because theres really no advantage at all to using synthetic if your gonna keep a standard oil change routine..OR your vehicle is race only (which if thats the case the oil will be changed after every race). Pure synthetic can last 12,000 to 15,000 miles or be changed once a year. Problem is, the filter needs to be changed between 6000 and 7000 miles. Might as well drain the oil and change the filter and oil is my logic.

It may keep your engine a bit cooler, but if your just driving street you wont notice it. all I know is I used synthetic oil for years in my motorcycle and that engine literally cooked and I revved it constantly. recommended change per manual using mobile 1 was 6000-6500 miles or 6 months with a fresh filter. My dad uses it in his RV and changes every 7000-7500 miles.
your engine oil burn off could be a factor of your oil weight. but ya 10000 miles I would imagine your gonna lose some oil even if you match your specs on weight.
Just FYI, if you switch to synthetic on a high mileage vehicle ..theres a possibility it will ruin your seals and increase oil consumption dramatically. ditto with a car pre-break.
Some vehicles like my triumph were designed only to use synthetic so..the seals are different. not sure if any cars are the same way, im sure there are but probably your high end sports cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,437 Posts
I change it at 10kmis even if past 6 months. Lookup the oil analysis that several of us had done.
Pu a catch basin of rags under the filter since it will drain down in to the subframe member. Also, the oem filter needs a LOT of force to get it off, I used a 18" pipe wrench.
sawwbuzz said:
Im not sure really. Probably 6000-6500 miles and no longer than 5 months. checking it every 1500 to 1700 miles. I'll change the filter out at every oil change as well.

honestly if you change out your synthetic every 3000-4000 miles your just pissing it away. you may as well use conventional oil because theres really no advantage at all to using synthetic if your gonna keep a standard oil change routine..OR your vehicle is race only (which if thats the case the oil will be changed after every race). Pure synthetic can last 12,000 to 15,000 miles or be changed once a year. Problem is, the filter needs to be changed between 6000 and 7000 miles. Might as well drain the oil and change the filter and oil is my logic.

It may keep your engine a bit cooler, but if your just driving street you wont notice it. all I know is I used synthetic oil for years in my motorcycle and that engine literally cooked and I revved it constantly. recommended change per manual using mobile 1 was 6000-6500 miles or 6 months with a fresh filter. My dad uses it in his RV and changes every 7000-7500 miles.
your engine oil burn off could be a factor of your oil weight. but ya 10000 miles I would imagine your gonna lose some oil even if you match your specs on weight.
Just FYI, if you switch to synthetic on a high mileage vehicle ..theres a possibility it will ruin your seals and increase oil consumption dramatically. ditto with a car pre-break.
Some vehicles like my triumph were designed only to use synthetic so..the seals are different. not sure if any cars are the same way, im sure there are but probably your high end sports cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya I think I got oil all over the sub frame. hope it didnt run into any vital parts such as any housings made of rubber.. ya it was really dark when I changed it. im gonna go outside now with a rag and check it

Luckily the car already had at least one oil change since I bought it. I was able to take the filter off with my bare hands :D

I will add though, I should have LISTENED to the ClubRSX forums when they said to buy a 5 quart container of oil and an EXTRA quart. Even though the manual says 4.2 quarts with filter for base and 4.8 quarts for the type-S, the car took about 5.3 quarts with a filter... So I had to go back to walmart and buy an extra quart.

thanks guys!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
spoke to the service manager @ the dealer last night and he said that the engines are made for oil changes every 10,000 miles (5,000 under hard driving conditions). he also told me it was pointless to use synthetic because it really has no effect on our engines. and if you drive hard anyway, you should change it every 5k. no point in wasting money on synthetic if you're gonna dump it every 5k. just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
Synthetic protects engine components - hot and cold - better than conventional. Period. Longer change intervals are not the only reason to switch to synthetic. And not everyone who uses synthetic extends their oil change intervals, BTW. The bottom line is that if you can afford a high quality synthetic it's a good thing.
he also told me it was pointless to use synthetic because it really has no effect on our engines.
This quote is ill-informed. There is a plethora of data suggesting that synthetic offers a multitude of advantages over conventional oil. Do some searches and read-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
blackandred said:
Synthetic protects engine components - hot and cold - better than conventional. Period. Longer change intervals are not the only reason to switch to synthetic. And not everyone who uses synthetic extends their oil change intervals, BTW. The bottom line is that if you can afford a high quality synthetic it's a good thing.

This quote is ill-informed. There is a plethora of data suggesting that synthetic offers a multitude of advantages over conventional oil. Do some searches and read-up.
The real place that synthetic oil stands out is in hard use. Due to the nature of the oil consitency synthetic does not start to break down until it is much closer to its coke point than with convential oil which has a wide range oil in it. If you talk to the Mobil engineers they will tell you that the additive package is very much the same between the synthetic and normal oils. This is the reason that the OEM cars do not extend the oil change interval with synthetics - this according to a Mobil Engineer for whatever its worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
blackandred said:
Synthetic protects engine components - hot and cold - better than conventional. Period. Longer change intervals are not the only reason to switch to synthetic. And not everyone who uses synthetic extends their oil change intervals, BTW. The bottom line is that if you can afford a high quality synthetic it's a good thing.

This quote is ill-informed. There is a plethora of data suggesting that synthetic offers a multitude of advantages over conventional oil. Do some searches and read-up.

i just figured that i would listen to an individual that deals with nothing but acura's. who better than the dealer. not to say that synthetic has no effect on other engines, i have used synthetic on all of my other vehicles and will continue to use it on all of my future vehicles. i was simply re-stating what an acura service manager told me. nothing more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
who better than the dealer.
IMO, dealers, salespersons, etc., have very little knowledge of the vehicles they sell. Maybe your experience's have been different.
i was simply re-stating what an acura service manager told me. nothing more.
Thats cool. I understand how difficult it can be to make informed decisions when a variety of people are giving you different advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Synthetic also allows for quicker cold starts and resulting less wear on the starter and valve train; another good reason to use a thinner oil. The Mobil 0w-20 is now widely available and while it certainly won't pay for itself it is ideal for our cars.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top