Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone I know just got some body work done due to an accident. and my friend bought a protectant on his ccar when he bought it. when he asked the body shop manager about how long the stuff would realistically stay on he said maybe a year or so.

He then said you need to start waxing. After all that though he went on and on about using carnuba and that's what he uses when he details cars. and said that you sould not use synthetic polymers because it's hard to get it off and really hard to do paint work on a finish with it on.

is this true? I'd never heard it before. I wasn't there so I couldn't question him about it. but my friend told me because he knows I use zaino.

So any body shop guys know if this is true or is this guy talking crap?

thanks

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I used zaino on my car and got my bumper repainted. The body shop had a hard time getting the clearcoat to stick on the parts that weren't repainted. I only needed about a six inch scratch repainted, but they removed the clearcoat off the whole bumper, when they finished painting the scratch and added the clearcoat, there were parts of bumper where the new clearcoat was bubbling up. All they did was smooth it down by buffing it. So far the paint and clearcoat have been fine, its been about 5 months now. They said it was a pain in the ass, but that everything is fine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use nufinish 2000. I use carnuba very very rarely.

one thing to keep in mind when having body work done is dont wax ..polish or anything for about 60 days after the paint job. even after that I would avoid carnuba and just use a polish like nufinish

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
There is nothing wrong with carnaubas and, in fact, if you're not someone who's using Zaino, you're most likely using a carnauba (Mother's, Meguiar's, Zymol, ...). Protection does't last as long as synthetics but most avid users will swear by them since they usually give an enormous amount of shine and luster.

I understand what the body shop guy means about synthetic waxes...they are highly durable so may be resistant to any type of body work like repainting. Synthetic waxes should be easy to remove with some Dawn detergent. You don't want to use this for a normal car wash, but it can be helpful before a wax since it will take off all residual wax giving you a nice clean surface to work with.

Shouldn't it be to your benefit if the wax is "hard to get off"? That means it's doing it's job by protecting your finish. Now, from the body shop's perspective, they'd like a nice clean unwaxed surface to work with and carnaubas are much more easy to remove.

And as for the protectant that "lasts a full year", not likely.

·
Registered
214 Posts
na nufinish wont last a year. its easy as hell to apply/remove and does a good job of protecting without building up (and ya, shines like crazy). I use it about once a month.
I do carnuba 2 to 3 times a year for protection.

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
vandeetz said:
He then said you need to start waxing. After all that though he went on and on about using carnuba and that's what he uses when he details cars. and said that you sould not use synthetic polymers because it's hard to get it off and really hard to do paint work on a finish with it on.

is this true? I'd never heard it before. I wasn't there so I couldn't question him about it. but my friend told me because he knows I use zaino.

So any body shop guys know if this is true or is this guy talking crap?

thanks
A little rubbing alcohol or a fine cutting compound and synthetics come right off. It's bonded better, it's not bulletproof.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Mothers Reflections. It is the easiest polish I have ever used. You can polishing you car in about a half hour if you don't stop. Its so easy to take off to.It gives the car the smoothes finish that I have ever felt. Give it a shot you wont be dissapointed. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts