Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:jigglemad Ok well I detailed the outside of my car yesterday, but I wasn't able to clean the rear hatch window at all. I tried using auto glass cleaners, but the spots wouldn't come out. The only way they'll come off is if I scratch at them with my fingernail. I had this problem with my old car as well and never found a solution. Would it be safe to try some rubbing alcohol on the window? Here are some pictures of the spots:

Please help these spots are really a strain on the eye

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the suggestion. i have no problem taking water spots off my paint, but the window is a bitch to work with.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the suggestion. is the water supposed to bead off of the glass? if so, then yah i have it on the front, but i dont think the back was protected with it (the dealer put it on during a courtesy car wash). could that be the reason why i have these terrible hard waterspots?

wow just checked out the rain-x website; i think im going to buy every product they have :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I find that vinegar works, but using a claybar on your glass is MUCH better. Also, you can even use an old claybar because it's MUCH easier to scratch paint with small debris in a claybar than it is with glass.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yah i used claybar on my paint during the detail and also tried it on the glass, but it didnt remove anything. i sprayed on the clay lube like the instructions said and glided the clay over the lube. none of the spots came out though. should i try a forced rubbing action? i didnt try it yet because i read that the clay is just supposed to glide, not rub

·
bye RSX, hello TSX
1,348 Posts
There are some products out there that can remove the spots alot quicker then the vinagear/water will. I use Glass Science window scrub and it gets alot of the spots out. I believe rain-x and novus also makes a window scrub product.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the suggestions everyone. i hope i can get these removed tomorrow. i will try out some rain-x products and see if that will do the job.

·
Registered
250 Posts
fivestarDC5 said:
Use Lime-away, i think thats the name, its for cleaning shower doors and bathroom shit. Worked for me.
this will get it off.... will probably take of your paint too if you accidently get it on there.

Water spots consist of primarily Calcium carbonate and will be dissolved by any acid. You want to use a weak acid because U dont want to mar your paint. Personally I believe pure vinegar should work fine, just soak a rag in it, ring it out a bit, and lay it out on the window for a minute or so. it should dissolve the majority of it, it'll take about 20 minutes to get the winow clean I would guess, but worth it to use vinegar over a bathroom cleaner.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Abzstrak said:
this will get it off.... will probably take of your paint too if you accidently get it on there.

Water spots consist of primarily Calcium carbonate and will be dissolved by any acid. You want to use a weak acid because U dont want to mar your paint. Personally I believe pure vinegar should work fine, just soak a rag in it, ring it out a bit, and lay it out on the window for a minute or so. it should dissolve the majority of it, it'll take about 20 minutes to get the winow clean I would guess, but worth it to use vinegar over a bathroom cleaner.
thanks youre the first one to advise using pure vinegar hehe. will pure vinegar ruin the paint if it accidentally dripped on there?

·
It Tastes Like Burning
222 Posts
a flat razor blade might work. i know it takes paint overspray off like a charm. i dont see why it wouldnt work on calcium deposits?

·
Registered
158 Posts
A little automotive paint polish seems to work quite well also - just be CAREFUL with it!

I had hard water spots like you, and I tried some 3M Perfect it III that I had leftover from a paint job - wiped it on, wiped it off, and the spots were gone. Its not something I would do every week, but it sure took the spots of fast.

--Eric

1 - 20 of 71 Posts