Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying an used RSX Type-S to build for Targa Newfoundland 2006, and I want some help with which parts would be more suited for a week long rally style road race. Turbo or SC? Suspension? I'm currently look at a Tein setup including the their EDFC. engine management and VTEC controller? either or neither? how about the stock rims? or would I need to upgrade? if so what size? and tires will have to be long lasting. I'll need comfy but aggressive seats. Upgrade the brakes? probably but what? Anything that you know would be a smart upgrade. Also, racing computers and other navigation needs. Price will be an issue, but I know you get what you pay for. Also, must of it will be DIY with the help of a buddy, so try to keep that in mind!

Thanks for your help. And check out there website, some people are already resistered for 2005 and there car pics and pis from last year are there.

www.targanewfoundland.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How about a good bodykit? One thats cheaper then a Mugen, but actually creates downforce. Cam gears? CAI or Icebox? Clutch? Engine mounts? Strut and/or sway bars? Would I need a wing? They do reach high speeds in a couple of the Targa sections. But I want it to still be stylish!

·
Registered
656 Posts
sanfordracing said:
I'm buying an used RSX Type-S to build for Targa Newfoundland 2006, and I want some help with which parts would be more suited for a week long rally style road race. Turbo or SC? Suspension? I'm currently look at a Tein setup including the their EDFC. engine management and VTEC controller? either or neither? how about the stock rims? or would I need to upgrade? if so what size? and tires will have to be long lasting. I'll need comfy but aggressive seats. Upgrade the brakes? probably but what? Anything that you know would be a smart upgrade. Also, racing computers and other navigation needs. Price will be an issue, but I know you get what you pay for. Also, must of it will be DIY with the help of a buddy, so try to keep that in mind!

Thanks for your help. And check out there website, some people are already resistered for 2005 and there car pics and pis from last year are there.

www.targanewfoundland.com
Sign up for Tuner Transformation and see if they'll do your car. They've already done one Targa Newfoundland car. They have yet to do an Acura RSX so maybe they'll jump all over yours if you tell them you want to run the Targa Newfoundland.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, ahhh, where do they tape Tuner Transformation???? I'm in Newfyland, probably just as cheap to do it myself, well maybe not but atleast it'll be what I want. They've done pretty shitty stuff one there!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looks like a pretty cool race!
Before you decide what mods- you should probably decide what your budget is and what class you can afford to run. Just browsing the class rules- standard, modified, and unlimited- it looks like even a "standard" class car could still be expensive to setup- especially with all the safety equipment you'll need.
Looking quickly at the standard class- besides the safety equipment- you can go with
17x7.5 wheels with some good street tires- maybe even some higher wear R-Compound tires might be OK.
cat-back exhaust
Brake cooling ducts
Performance Brake pads, lines, and fluid
Coilover shocks/springs (though it looks like ride height is limited so you can't adjust it too low)
Camber plates
Swaybars are open but you probably only need the rear swaybar

Just that stuff probably adds up to over $4000-$5000. Plus, you'll need all that safety equipment. It looks like the results are handicapped based on class, so I think you'ld be better off going all the way in the standard class, than going half-assed in the modifed or unlimited class (if your goal is to place higher).

·
Registered
656 Posts
sanfordracing said:
Yeah, ahhh, where do they tape Tuner Transformation???? I'm in Newfyland, probably just as cheap to do it myself, well maybe not but atleast it'll be what I want. They've done pretty shitty stuff on there!
As far as I know, Toronto. I know someone who knows someones who knows someone who lives in Toronto whose car was featured on TT (Mini). I also heard the Scion owner had to drive from Boston to Toronto to be on the show.

Hey, if they put $2000 USD to $10000 USD into your car, I'd say it'd be worth the trip.

If you say you want to enter the Targa Newfoundland, they WILL make mods to your car for the rally. Basically, you'd get a true rally car back! Check out Episode #5.

On the other hand, if you say "well i don't know what i want done to my car", they'll probably screw it up with all kinds of crappy stuff.

Basically, if you got a goal, they will definately follow it. If you blabber on about nothing, then they'll screw around with your ride. Like what they do or not, they follow what their owners say pretty good. For example, the STI owner wanted a sleeper...so they took off everything that made it an STI. Get what he asked for!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts