Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
VTEC Connoisseur
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I Recently put a k20z1 head on my k24a2 and swapped the cams to kelford 179-a's. I set the TDC and all the notches and arrows lined up. Out of random gut instinct I decided to turn the crank pulley. after a few rotations the TDC did not line up again. Is this normal? I haven't started the motor yet so I don't know how it works yet. Also what are signs that my cam timing is off? will the car make a distinct noise? will it lope really funny or idle surge?

TIA

·
Cone Killer
517 Posts
So I Recently put a k20z1 head on my k24a2 and swapped the cams to kelford 179-a's. I set the TDC and all the notches and arrows lined up. Out of random gut instinct I decided to turn the crank pulley. after a few rotations the TDC did not line up again. Is this normal? I haven't started the motor yet so I don't know how it works yet. Also what are signs that my cam timing is off? will the car make a distinct noise? will it lope really funny or idle surge?

TIA
Did you get at least 2 full 360 degree rotations out of the crank?

·
VTEC Connoisseur
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I decided to go back re-time the cams. You guys were right I was off by a couple teeth. While I was in there I replaced the Tensioner and the chain. The car now starts smoother but I still have 2 CEL's P0369 and P0344. I know for a fact these cams are timed correctly now but idk why these codes keep popping up. I will be taking it to get tuned in a week or 2 but I want to take it to the tuner with as few problems as possible.

Are these codes something that pop up with upgraded cams and can be fixed by tuning? or Do I need to keep working at it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That could maybe be fixed with adjustable cam gears?? I dont think tuning will fix the mechanical timing issues.

·
VTEC Connoisseur
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late update but it turns out I'm just stupid lol I mixed up the pulse plates on the intake and exhaust cams

·
Registered
947 Posts
Had the same issue last night, my aftermarket harness was pin incorrectly for the vtc sensor and i had to install the stock one back on and i accidentally criss-cross the cam sensor plugs and had the same error codes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts