Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**UPDATE PAGE 2 POST #38**
**UPDATE PAGE 2 POST #28**

so i've been keeping track of the progress i've been making on my bike. i'll keep any updates here as i make them. i keep track of my progress by the days that i work on it, cause it's pretty much an all day job. it's not actually consecutive days but when i get around to them. enjoy:

'99 R6 44k miles used.

DAY 1
PROBLEM:
bought a beat up (and attacked by decals & a chrome gas tank) used bike that needs work. turns over but rough irratic idle, difficulty starting up, bad low end power

DIAGNOSIS:
strip down and carburetor check

DAY 2
PROBLEMS:
neutral light will flicker when in gear, cluster light busted, very dirty brake fluid in front and rear, low oil and old filter, low coolant. bike still running poorly.

DIAGNOSIS:
open up cluster and replace bulb, coolant flush, oil & filter replaced (fixed neutral light in gear problem), brake fluid replaced

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qka6p1ZWNs&feature=related

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
DAY 3
PROBLEM:
dirty bike :)

DIAGNOSIS:
bike clean & degrease

DAY 4
PROBLEM:
throttle sticking to ~4k rpm after rev then slowly dropping, rough idle, low idle, difficulty turning over engine from cold start, engine dies when pulling in clutch or coming to neutral stop, low end torque gone (1.5k rpm - 4k rpm no power)

DIAGNOSIS:
after testing with water on headers trick (flick water onto headers as they are warming up, check if water evaporates slower on pipe cause of bad cylinder) bad ignition coil replaced, carb resynch w/ DIY tool

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyGRc-7Yz0o

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
awesome thread, keep updating it

·
spicy
10,841 Posts
Man darnell, that's what you've been busy with! I'd love to hvae a project bike to work on.. fuck.

·
wtfhax0r
7,507 Posts
bump for updatesssss i love this project might take up an r6 of my own

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man darnell, that's what you've been busy with! I'd love to hvae a project bike to work on.. fuck.
haha hell yeah baby pick one up and we'll get it up and running and we can CRUISE mann it'd be sick!! forreals!

bump for updatesssss i love this project might take up an r6 of my own
do it man! do the research on common problems first though too. for example the r6 03-05s are known to have problems with bad ignition coils and stalling out when pulling in the clutch (similar to the problem i was having but i figured it out), but some ppl figure it out. i'm teaching myself as i go along much like i did with my rsx, except its a lot simpler i'd say. are you looking for carb or FI?

haha thanks man!! i'm getting there slowly but surely. hopefully done completely in a couple months.

thanks for all the comments guys, i'll keep you posted. got lots of little details i'll be working on so expect nice updates :)

·
touge runner
977 Posts
faccckk.... i wanted a bike for the longest time but too bad on low funds :(

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DAY 5
PROBLEM:
broken front brake lever, ghetto-rigged master front cylinder leaking

DIAGNOSIS:
bought a whole used master front cylinder system with good lever for cheap, so why not just replace the whole thing!

and a quick pic of me and my homies bike in the garage :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts