Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Tein Type HG...here is a question for a select few lol

2K views 27 replies 3 participants last post by  Temptazn_Mark 
#1 ·
Alright. so here is the deal. I am very into rally, and i am beginning co-driving with a friend as of now. I just dont have the resources to get a rally prepped car at the moment. well, it just so happens hes going to be racing mitsubishi as they are VERY loyal to those who race with their cars and provide excellent pay out and travel expense. anyways, i know it goes against what most here enjoy doing with their rsx's, but i LOVE throwing mine around on snowy backroads near my cabin, and gravel in the summer. Its no WRX but i would not mind joining him in a FWD class either. i just wont find another car as reliable and gas efficient as this one that will accept such beatings.

I probably wont be taking my car into rally, i'll eventually prep another car, but for the time being i was looking into the Tein Type HG's which are their gravel/rally coilover setup. I've heard amazing things, but not much for the RSX even though they do make for the DC5 chassis.

Can anyone help me out or point me in a direction? I want the setup so i can toss the car around a little harder without worring about having a pussy street setup. The roads in my city are pure shit anyways so everyday driving is punishment enough.

Will these in turn be ok for tarmac handling if i will be taking some windy mountain journeys?

Thanks in advance for any help. and if your against an RSX getting dirty, go expand your horizons.

See less See more
#3 ·
Dood. Go find a prepped rally car.

Cheapest and best place to start.

Best bang for buck, spare parts, previous owner has experiences with good and "weak-links" in the car, etc.

Good, you're in Manitoba. Check out Rally West. Series you'd be running through is WCRC (Western Canada Rally Championships). Also, go buy yourself a current rulebook. I have one but its from like 2007.

http://www.rallywest.com/
www.edmontonrallyclub.ca
www.cscc.ab.ca
www.rallybc.com

#5 ·
I don't know about those Tein HG's.. but I can definitely tell you that Koni Yellows would be bad for off-roading. They cannot handle the rough roads (even though out West here, a lot of our roads are groomed and not that rough compared to many other stages in Canada, US or across the world).

Koni Yellow = blow out.

#6 ·
I have HotBits coilovers. Not bad, the shocks are very good and the car is well dampened. Unfortunately mine are beat to shit and need a rebuild.

Many rally guys I know locally run HotBits (if they're going for a lower-budget setup). I have a friend selling an Open-Class Eagle Talon Tsi AWD with DMS (Drummond Motorsports) coilovers. I think the motor for that talon needs a rebuild though.

#7 · (Edited)
wow thanks for the quick posts! i definately have browsed specialstage and my friend is also on their farely often. I am not looking for a full rally prep car just yet as i only hope to start co-driving as of now. I just dont have the funds for another car as of yet.

my main goal right now is to find a good susp. setup for the rsx seeing as i need one bad, and want something that will take the abuse when i do have some fun. Just something to handle bumps and dirt here and there while still maintaining composure on tarmac or everyday roads. im sure with the rally design they will hold up better on our shitty potholed roads here as well which is a plus...

but dont worry, i will be looking for a rally prep car in the future as i really do look forward to getting into some racing! thanks for the links, they will DEFINATELY come in handy as well! its good to know some rally fans browse the site :D

#8 ·
I see what you're going with here with the Teins.. Even though I said those things about Koni Yellow.. if you're not stage rallying, I'd probably use the Koni's..

I've used them on my RSX in Rallycross before.. Feels fricken awesome! Damn!

There's a guy here with a built production rally car that does stage rallying in the states. Custom suspension I think. Not too sure how they class their cars down there.. but I think its our P3 equivalent.

Me driving my friend's Skyline GTS-T (Front Mount, 400whp, Garrett GT35R)

Me driving my friend's base RSX

Me driving my RSX

In a friend's black 4 door Civic.

Me in my Suzuki Swift GTi rally car.

RSX again.. check that countersteer.

#10 ·
Its been said by many a club racer.... Never race with a car you can't afford to walk away from. I would say its safe to assume that it goes double for rally.

#11 · (Edited)
amen to that. which is why im gonna prob. start racing with an older subaru of wrx nature hopefully. :)

im just looking for a decent susp. setup for my DD rsx and my main concern i guess was as to whether or not the tein type HG will do well daily driving and when being tossed around during some spirited driving on ash-vault (specifically on windy mountain roads on my road trip to BC this summer)

#12 ·
Don't get AWD as starting car.

One reason why I stayed away, I was worried it would "handicap" my learning.

Another thing is AWD eats through tires faster than FWD or RWD.

I have a friend that races in a Group 5 Corolla GTS (RWD) and he's beaten Open Class subarus/evos before (more than once actually)

#13 ·
hmm interesting. well my plan was to pick up an older awd, i know i would stand no chance in any of the classes i'd be put in so i'd just keep it as a project and slowly prep it for rally while i learned to drive it etc. while in the mean time i could keep driving my fwd, and co drive with my friend in a fwd class.

#15 ·
i wish we were lucky enough to get rallycrosses. i've heard rumor of ppl wanting to start it but it just isnt going through. the closest thing i hear of is ice racing which doenst happen often but i've still been meaning to go.

#19 ·
the pics of the lancer with all of the decals, etc. is a full rally prepped car. the drivers name is jody i believe, they do extremely well in their class in the CRC and he is one of the most helpful ppl ever. he is so passionate for rally and getting people involved in it so hes been helping me along the way as well. i have heard rumor of a CRC event coming to manitoba, the first one ever here i believe. im pretty pumped to volunteer at the event as it would be my first event ever. anyways, im getting off topic but its enjoyable to take the rally talk off of the rally specific boards and onto other forums and find other ppl who enjoy it :)

#21 ·
yup well i plan on road trippin to the ojibwe forrest rally in august is it? thats the one just south of the border from me i believe. im also swinging through calgary sometime this summer on a roadtrip for some fun in the mountains and staying at a campground owned by a friend of my dads. should be fun but i want to get my car setup a bit better for it :) i've been told that the roads around the campground are quite popular for the spirited driver so i want suspension done and hopefully have my k24 finished by then. big goals for a college student but we'll see how she goes lol

#23 ·
thats a good question i have to confirm which ones they are. all i know is the campground is called panners campground or goldpanners campground or something to that effect. i have it google mapped to here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...+Hwy+6+RR+3,+Cherryville,+BC+V0E+2G3,+Canada+

thats just a generic route that googlemaps gave me. i have yet to choose the best and most fun route. plus we are doing a week so we will have plenty of time to explore.

i was also looking into this:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/jdascollas/school2.html#overview

every heard of, experienced or known anyone doing that?

#27 ·
see i have no training but i have a decent amount of snow driving experience at the roads near my cabin. we set up parameters, start and finish lines and go for best times, its fun and surprisingly gets us a ton of good practice and experience in diff. conditions. i just figured a 'good' training school will teach me more about braking technique and points, cornering techniques etc. as i've never been instructed on it, i've only watched and learned. we also dont have any good road courses here so winnipeg is the wrong place to be for anything except quarter mile (boring).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.