Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Base Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On average I get around 150-180 miles on a full tank, with an average of about 12mpg. Replaced my spark plugs last week and got 160 miles on the last tank. I drive almost daily in the city and I don't get the chance to floor it too often either. I turn the car on and off multiple times a day as well. Could it be that an O2 sensor is starting to go bad and the car is burning too rich? The exhaust tip is completely covered in soot. I have no lights on the dash and my transmission is just fine. Tried some fuel injector cleaner and didn't really make a big difference. Is there anything that could be affecting fuel economy?

·
Registered
2006 Vivid Blue Pearl RSX Type-S/1995 Delsol VTEC
30 Posts
Replace your air filter, check your calipers to make sure none of them are seized and dragging the pads, run your tires at proper PSI, remove everthing that you dont need in the car like cloths, books, etc, remove and inspect your O2 sensor.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,235 Posts
don't ignore the visible evidence, your engine is running far too rich hence the black tailpipe. either the ECU is sending bad info to the O2 sensor (usually because either the ECU is malfunctioning or it's getting bad data from another sensor like the TPS or IAT) or the O2 sensor itself is the problem. rather than randomly replacing parts (unless you are pretty sure that it's the O2 sensor) take it to a garage (someone with a propoer honda scanner is preferred) and have the car put on the diagnostic scope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts