always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Required for the swap and for the airbag to work:
Main Components:
DC5-R Steering Wheel and Airbag
DC5-R Passenger Airbag
DC5-R SRS Computer

With the included pictures, what each item looks like will become evident.

Tools:
ratchet and wrench set
Steering Wheel Puller(local Napa or Autozone has em)
Torx T30 adapter
6" or greater extention
Small Wire Cutters/scissors
Dremel or exacto knife(if you want to retain cruise control)

***Disclaimer***

Anytime you work with your SRS system, make sure to disconnect the negative terminal on your battery and wait at least 15 minutes before you start doing anything. I am not resposible for you blowing an airbag on accident, getting injured, etc. Insurance companies might not like the fact that you eliminated your side impact airbags, and your lapbelt tensioners, so I am not resposible for raised insurance premiums...

***Disclaimer***

Reactions: nsted3

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is for all of you who would like to match those nice JDM H emblems with your steering wheel emblem, or if you would like an aftermarket seat without throwing an SRS code for not having your side impact airbags plugged in. This write-up will help you eliminate your side impact airbags, keep your front airbags functional, and best of all, this is a modification that can make you money. People might thing this is dumb to do, but after all was said and done, I made about $800 from all this. the whole JDM setup was $700, and I sold my USDM airbag setup for $1500. If your interested in obtaining the parts, contact H.L. @ [email protected]. His eBay acct. is under 5400RPM. Very reliable guy, and very helpful.

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steering Wheel Removal

This is a side of the stock steering wheel. Remove the plastic plate on the side of the steering wheel. You'll see a wierd looking bolt, thats a Torx T30. Remove it. There is a similar one on the other side. Remove it as well. At this point the airbag will come out. Disconnect the horn harness, and the airbag yellow harness, and it will be completely out...

Attachments

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disconnect the Cruise control buttons

Disconnect the cruise control buttons. The harness connectors color is gray.

Attachments

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Remove the steering wheel

In the picture above, you'll notice a large bolt in the middle. Remove that with a ratchet and 4 inch extention. Next, use the steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel. There is two bolts that go into the steering wheel to pull it off. I have marked where they go...

Attachments

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Finishing up the Cruise Control

Add a bracket to the JDM steering wheel so you can mount the cruise controls, and cut a hole for the controls to mount to on the steering wheel. This is where the dremel was handy...Anyways, this is where the hard part ends. Reinstall everything in the opposite order. Torque the steering wheel bolt to 38 ft/lbs.

Attachments

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Passenger Airbag Removal

First you need to pop off your glovebox. There is two clips on either side of it. Apply some pressure from the outside going in, the clips pop off, and your glovebox hangs down, exposing your lower airbag. Disconnect the one airbag harness, and remove the three nuts holding the airbag in. Put your hand on the underside of the airbag cover(yes theres room for your hand to snake its way up there), and push up. Airbag removed.

Attachments

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Changing the Covers

The JDM airbag cover has a slightly different configuration than the USDM airbag, so you need to swap them. There is six 8mm bolts on the bottom of each airbag. Unscrew them, pull off a metal bracket off each side, swap covers, and do everything in reverse order....

Attachments

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Reinstall, and the Wierd Fix

Before you drop the airbag back into place, swap the wire harness off your USDM airbags to the JDM airbags. Its soooo easy. You pop off the caps that hold the wires into place. The wires just slide out. You will have two sets of wires from the USDM airbags, but only one hole to stick them into on the JDM airbags. USE THE YELLOW WIRES. Just leave the red wires unattached. Both airbags, after you swap the wiring harnesses, will connect right up. Be careful not to scratch the dash, those three screws on the bottom of the airbag are sharp.

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost Done...The SRS Computer

Okay. 2/3s of the way there. You have to remove the center console. There is threads in here on how to do that. Its really easy. The SRS computer is on the floorboard, just right of your gas pedal/under your radio. Here is a pic of the stock unit. There is three more T30 Torx bolts. Remove them. 2 very easy to get to, one in the back thats a PITA. You will need a 6" extension more likely than not.

Attachments

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JDM vs USDM SRS Computers

The USDM SRS computer has 3 ports, the JDM computer 2. The right ports are identical, the middle one on the USDM computer is for the side impact airbags and for the lapbelt tensioners. Since your deleteing both of them, the middle harness stays unplugged. The left harness on both computers match up 99%. To get it to fit, read on...

Attachments

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Left Plug Modification

You need to snip off the slightest amount of extra plastic. Thats what the small scissors are for. Once this is removed, it will slide in and lock into place on the JDM computer. Also, please bolt the JDM computer back in before you plug in the wires. It will make it a lot easier to get the wires to lock into place...

Attachments

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All done! Just put everything back on, get everything in order, and reconnect the battery. Last, reset the SRS computer. Here is the write-up that works flawlessly to reset your SRS computer.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=59139

After doing so, it should look like this...One sexy ass Momo steering wheel and no SRS light! I wonder if I'm the first one to do this....

Attachments

·
Gold Fancy!!
1,551 Posts
Wow!! thats all i can say. you said that this cost you about 700 dollars? what was included? JDM steering wheel and air bag, passenger airbag, computer and harnesses? i think im gonna have to do this. now i can get me some Recaro's or some Bride's./ thanks for this write up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . ohh yeah and where would you sell your stock SRS units at to get 1500? junk yard?

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Ya, you can get all the parts needed from H.L. @ the email address above. All the parts were around $700 including shipping...Momo steering wheel, both airbags, and the SRS computer. Here is one of his auctions for the needed passenger airbag and srs computer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33695&item=2466973912
$200 shipped for those parts. :) All you would need would be the steering wheel/airbag. I sold my stock stuff on eBay for $1500. They're not going for as much anymore, but you could still get at least $1000, and that'll still pay for this mod, and net you some extra cash...

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
And also, this might be even easier than my write-up. You might be able to not the cable reel and that part from the junk yard to make this work. Im thinking that there is a 90% chance that you can just swap the wires on the airbags and get it to work. (ie.move the wires off the usdm drivers and apssengers airbag to the JDM airbags. There is two caps for wires on the US airbag, and only 1 on the JDM airbag. You would just leave 1/2 of the wire disconnected after the swap. I'll post some pics today when I get home from work) I was afraid to change the wires when I did this, but after I was done, I came accross another set of airbags, so I was like, WTF. I'll toy around. The wires are held on by caps, that pop off sooo easily. No sodering required. Just pop off the cap, slide the wire out, and slide the wire into the JDM airbag. If I were to do it again, I would try that first...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Just a piece of advise. Your post mentions disconnecting the battery, and waiting 15 mins. A better idea would be to find the capacitor for the SRS system and discharge it manually. Theoretically, a capacitor will hold its charge indefinitely. This is not exactly true, but the capacitor does tend to hold its charge for quite awhile.

Airbag 101

Airbags are not run directly off the battery anymore. This is a safety catch, seeing as how the majority of accidents tend to affect the front portion of the vehicle, and the battery is normally located in the front of the vehicle. The power to discharge the airbags come from a capacitor. This way, if in a front end accident the battery is damaged, the airbags will still go off. End of class! :)

I highly recommend finding and manually discarging the capacitor yourselves. You do not know how many times i have heard of people doing simple wiring in a car and accidently discharging the airbags. I have personally been working on an automobile with someone, heard a loud pop, and saw the person fly out of the car. Just some advise for anyone interested in trying this mod.

Good right up btw. :thumbsup:

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the heads up. But where is the capacitor? I've read nearly every page of section 23 of the helms manual, and it never mentioned this once. Hell, it said you can start working on the SRS system after only 6 minutes of the battery being disconnected...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts