Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 962 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured id do this thread so noone has to ask questions anymore...if there is nething i didnt answer feel free to ask an ill be glad to help u out..i did like 10 sets of rims already cuz once everyone liked mine we went nuts an did alot of them.

Me(rsx type s) an my friend(wrx) were bored of our stock rim color so we decided to have a lil fun on our first day of break..here it goes:

Tools Needed:
-400,600,1000 grit sandpaper(water proof for wetsanding)
-Impact gun(to get rims on/off)
-Jacks
-Jackstands
-Extra Rims if possible so car isnt nig rigged on jackstands liek ours were
-Blue Painters Tape
-Index Cards
-Time

1.Get your Rims off with a quick visit to Newark...make sure you have either other rims to sit your car on...or jacks an jackstands to set ur car on for the duration of a day

2.Clean Your rims using soap/ water/acetone as good as possible

3.Wetsand your rims...first using 400..then clean them...then using 600..then clean them...then using 1000...then clean them

4.Clean rims again using soap water and acetone as good as possible

5.Dry the rims as good as humanly possible...use towels..sun..hairdryer..wahtever needed

6.Put index cards around the edge of the rim to protect tires from overspray

7.Shake your spray paint very well

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
8.Put blue painters tape around your valvestem to prevent it from being painted and begin spraying first coat...very very very very very very light coats...should use like 5-7 coats of the paint as light as possible..i used all of my 2 cans in the lightest coats possible allowing 20 mins between each coat for drying...spray in a circular pattern we started from valvestem and slowly worked inwards

9.Let dry for about an hour after all coats fo paint are actually done

10.Clearcoat Clearcoat Clearcoat Clearcoat Clearcoat( THats right..about 5 coats).....2 cans i used in the same painting motion as the regular paint...

11.Let dry for as long as possible..somewhere thats over 40 degrees

12.Leave you poor cars sitting on jacks an jackstands : (

13.Your Done! Bolt your rims back on an drive away..finished pics wil be coming tommorow were trying to find a good photoshoot spot for the new rimmms

Thanks for All the help to all my friends and all the jacks an jackstands that were abused all day...ne questions feel free to pm me or watever to ask

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no doubt..ill have them up 2morow afternoon..the pics i ahve now make them look bad an we want to get a pic together so theyll be up 2morow

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeap i did the center caps in black ..the pics of those will be up 2morow..we also fileld the hole from my liscense plate bracket on my front bumper..painted the shift knob numbers an did my dome light red so il try to get as many pics an diys 2morow done as i can

·
baby buffett
13,383 Posts
im sorry but....light green on silver?

maybe on etreme setups but thats just gonna look freakin weird.

·
Formerly Trvotypes
7,220 Posts
nice write up.. i cant wait to see the green

·
i love light house
4,469 Posts
not to be a dick or anything dude, but after more thought, why the fuck would you paint ur rims green!??!!?! the wrx will look sick, but chances are you're gonna be like wtf did i do that for and have to paint em all over again. why not bright orange?!

·
Registered
201 Posts
dude sweet guide... IDK bout green also. I feel like it's not gonna be that tight, but I'll reserve judgment until some pics...but lets seem them pics of them on the car playa.

1 - 20 of 962 Posts