Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

941 - 960 of 962 Posts

·
SVT Cobra Type-S
5,614 Posts
the pictures of the steps won't show up on a pc or mac for me, it says the person moved or deleted the files? I would like to make my stock rims black for the time being until I have enough money to afford the 18' black rota slipstreams that i want
simple

All you need is your car, 4 cans of black plasti dip, spray can handle (immensely helpful,) some tape/index cards (optional) and a whole bunch of time

1) take wheel off car
2) clean wheel
3)tape or place index cards between wheel and tire to prevent from over spray (but if you're doing black, you probably don't need to do this)
4) spray the dip evenly over the entire wheel in broad sweeping motions. don't focus on one spot. it doesn't matter if the first few coats aren't even, that's what the next coats are for
5) you can do as many coats as you want. as long as the black is even, you'll be good. usually people do 3-4 coats. allow 10-15 minutes drying time between coats
6) let it dry for at least 12 hours
7) put them back on
8) bauss it up :iptf:

·
SVT Cobra Type-S
5,614 Posts
forgot to put up pics of my recent endeavor with the metalizer

the finish is a little uneven. I seemed to focus too much at the base of the spokes by the tires with the metalizer. that stuff is kinda tricky to work with, plus it was my first time. 3 coats of black on both sides of the wheel and about 4 coats of metalizer. I think I only used 2 1/2 cans of black and 2 cans of metalizer

picking up some black lugs in a week or so. curious how they'll look with this color

·
Registered
25 Posts
forgot to put up pics of my recent endeavor with the metalizer

the finish is a little uneven. I seemed to focus too much at the base of the spokes by the tires with the metalizer. that stuff is kinda tricky to work with, plus it was my first time. 3 coats of black on both sides of the wheel and about 4 coats of metalizer. I think I only used 2 1/2 cans of black and 2 cans of metalizer

picking up some black lugs in a week or so. curious how they'll look with this color
This gold is a bit greenish isn't it? good paint job tho. :thumbsup:

·
SVT Cobra Type-S
5,614 Posts
This gold is a bit greenish isn't it? good paint job tho. :thumbsup:
every body has been saying that!! I put down at least 4 solid coats of black before doing the metallizer! :run: I personally don't see it. I might be blind though lol I don't get it. It's making me kinda mad :mad:

in case you didn't know, the previous color was green, so I guess it might be possible that it's showing thru. But thru 4 coats of black??

·
Registered
25 Posts
every body has been saying that!! I put down at least 4 solid coats of black before doing the metallizer! :run: I personally don't see it. I might be blind though lol I don't get it. It's making me kinda mad :mad:

in case you didn't know, the previous color was green, so I guess it might be possible that it's showing thru. But thru 4 coats of black??
Lol, Subaru's famous gold rims are embedded in my mind. I compared yours with Subaru's.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Painted rims is cool and all, until you need new tires and the machine chips them, it's more economical to have them powder coated

·
Registered
77 Posts
Painted rims is cool and all, until you need new tires and the machine chips them, it's more economical to have them powder coated
Baking wheels at too high of a temperature can cause the alloy to become brittle. It is not a good idea to powder coat wheels, especially if you aren't 100% sure what your wheels are made of. Most places that powdercoat do their baking at a certain temp, and probably won't worry about the wheels specific makeup. I wouldn't recommend powder coating wheels, just paint them. I painted mine before I had tires mounted and there weren't any chips after. Take your wheels somewhere that knows how to mount tires properly and you won't have any chipping issues.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i have a question: i'm looking at some second gen typeS rims and the owner spray painted them white... if i use a paint stripper will it damage the Oem finish? thanks

·
Type Slow
4 Posts
question, I have already sanded my wheels. I'm going to be using primer, should I use black or grey primer? I'm trying to go with a really bright white. And when painting the white, do I let it dry then add the 5 coats of clear? Or do I add clear while the white is still drying? help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You don't want to put any clear on until the white is dry. You want to use a Grey primer black would just be harder to cover imo. Patience is needed if you want it to turn out good. Thin coats!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I figure id do this cord so nobody has to inquire questions to any further extent...if there is nothing i did ‘nt reply feel free to inquire an ill be pleased to lend a hand u out..i did like 10 sets of rims before now cuz once everybody liked me we go silly an did a lot of them.[url=http://www.contenthoop.com/preventativevehiclemaintenance/
8315/] PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE[/URL]

941 - 960 of 962 Posts