Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
shifter to wrist twister
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just wanted to share my riding experience so far with everyone.

i'm currently riding/learning on a 2004 ninja 250 that i bought used from my friend ($1500, 2300 miles, mint condition) back in march 2007. i had no riding experience whatsoever. i only have my permit now and plan to take the MSF course within the next month or so. i read this forum and everyone recommends to start on a 250. yes, the looks of the bike might not be a appealing, but i'm on the side of skill up now, ride pretty later or hop on pretty now, fall down later.

so the first time i got on the bike, i was practicing in a parking lot. feeling out how to go from a stop for the first time, i popped the clutch and vize-gripped the front brakes, having no firm grip on the bike itself for 100 feet as i wasn't expecting that to happen. needless to say, i fell to the left, bike on top of my leg. cracked the left front signal, bent the clutch lever, and small dent on the tank.

so my buddies thought it would be better if i just hovered with the choke. so i went around couple of laps around the parking lot, getting a feel of the bike and controls. did this for about 3 days. also got a lot of tips and pointers from my friend (06 cbr600rr) who took the MSF course.

each time i hopped on the bike i felt a little more trust than the last, and showed improvement each session. i started taking it on local streets late at night. the whole time with the CBR by my side guiding me. then i started going on the highway, riding about the length of two exits and got off. each day, i just wanted to ride more and more..that's all i could think about. i used to suck coming to a full stop. but with more practice, i have no problems now. so within a month's riding time, i am able to operate a bike within comfortable means, traveling from brooklyn to staten island, staten island to jersey, brooklyn to queens. i put about 250 miles on the bike so far. i also rode my girlfriend on the back a few times and did pretty good. she said she woulnd't get on at all cuz she didn't trust my riding yet, but my friends convinced her and she said that i'm not bad. now she loves to ride on me (no pun intended lol). but i was told never to be too confident though, and i know myself that i do not have any real riding experience at all.

i've thought about upgrading to a 600. my friends said i'll be fine with the 'skill' level i'm riding at now and that i can continue building the experience on a 600. i thought to myself that i am ready to hop on a 600. so i had my eyes on the new 2007 zx-6. something about it. but low and behold, last week as i'm riding to my friend's house alone, i now have this fear. anything can happen in a split second. whether skilled or not skilled.

so two SUV's are in front of me, i'm following 1 block's distance behind, everyone traveling about 30-35 mph. all of a sudden, 1st SUV slams the brakes, 2nd SUV slams brakes harder, and having no prior experience in this situation, by instinct i stomped on the rear and gripped the front brakes. not long before i hear and feel my rear tire skid and do a little fishtail, veering to the left. then the bike topples back over the right side and went down. i hit the road hard but i didn't slide, lid never touched the ground. one of my boots came off. i got back up quickly and just wanted to get my bike back up standing. i didn't even think of any injuiries or pain. the 2nd SUV guy came out and explained blah blah, if i'm alright, how he didn't mean to blah blah. what could i do. so i said i was fine while people that saw me from their frontyard came out to help me and my bike. it was scary now that i think back on it and how it could've been worst. i also think about how i could've avoided the fall, how i could've manuevered. i feel like such a noob.

as for me, got a scraped and bruised knee, banged up rib, nothing broken though. as for the bike, right front signal gone, brake lever broke in half, front wheel alignment steers to the left. my fairings are ok thanks to the signal. i just ordered new levers and flush mounts. gonna loosen the fork to see if the alignment can be straightened. the bike still runs strong. but i'm not too sure about upgrading now. i think i should take the MSF right now. and practice hard braking manuevers in a parking lot.

sorry for the long read..just wanted to share it. thanks for your time.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
5,574 Posts
If you can't handle a 250, you need to get to an msf ASAP. All the mistakes you mentioned, they teach you how to overcome.

If you fell bc you were on the brakes too hard, imagine what happens if you're riding a 600 that has far, far, far superior braking ability then a 250.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
The ego is hurt, and you're physically injured, but the most important thing is you're ok.

Horrible things can happen on any bike. As long as you're learning from this experience, then good.

Don't listen to your friends about 'upgrading' now. Upgrade when you feel that you are ready.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
If you can't handle a 250, you need to get to an msf ASAP. All the mistakes you mentioned, they teach you how to overcome.

If you fell bc you were on the brakes too hard, imagine what happens if you're riding a 600 that has far, far, far superior braking ability then a 250.
If I'm reading this correctly, I don't think GK is saying to get the 600 because it has better brakes. The brakes will BITE, and there could definitely be more damage to you if you high side.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
5,574 Posts
Maybe I'm mistaken, but it sounds like he hasnt taken the msf yet.

And yes, if you cant handle a 250, no way in hi-zz-elle should he be on a 600.

·
shifter to wrist twister
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

i am definitely going to take the MSF course asap. it will really help and i made a mistake not doing so before i got on a bike. as far as upgrading, that is out of the picture for now. i need to to be able to handle the 250 like it's a bicycle if anything before i make a move.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
5,574 Posts
Just remember, nothing on the bike is an on/off switch (except the ignition and kill switch, but duh).

Brakes, throttle, clutch all demand SMOOTH engagement,

·
shifter to wrist twister
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ego is hurt, and you're physically injured, but the most important thing is you're ok.

Horrible things can happen on any bike. As long as you're learning from this experience, then good.

Don't listen to your friends about 'upgrading' now. Upgrade when you feel that you are ready.
i can't quite say i learned from this incident. it's part of experience, but i'm not sure how i would avoid it if it happened again. i guess that's where the MSF will be most beneficial. and after what happened, i am definitely not ready to upgrade. i guess my head got too big in the lid before that.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
5,574 Posts
Also, always, always ride as if no one can see you. You should have left plenty of space between you and the suv's in case you did need to panic brake.

Also, if you do have to panic brake, brake more with the front then the rear, bc you'll lock up the rear (as you learned).

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think everybody should take the msf period. In my class there were beginners, and there were dirt experts. Don't be a pussy and just take the class....In my opinion, the class was the best $400 i've spent in awhile.

They taught us how to do everything from scratch... Emergency break, emegency swerve, and stopping on a curve, turning, looking where you want to go etc...

i didn't ride a bike before, and now i have a 2002 f4i.. I have not had an oh shit moment yet. I'm not being cocky either. I'm taking it easy with it and i'm having fun.

I couldn't imagine myself not taking the course and getting this bike or anybike for that matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.