Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently sold my 02 type s of 3+ years but I wanted to share what suspension mods I did to make my RSX handle incredibly well. I know there is two decades worth of forum material on suspension but from the many hours of research I’ve done when building my RSX for heavy canyon use, I never found threads stressing the importance of a few absolutely key components. I bought almost most of these parts used but in good condition, as I did this all age 16-19, I was on a budget.

First Mods: Tein Basis Z coilovers, Progress sway bars 27mm front 24mm rear, Rear Camber kit.
These were the basic first things, and while the car looked nice, the handling suffered incredibly, no it was not improper installation or alignment, it was the fact that the entire suspension geometry was completely ruined. Steering felt vague and heavy, with having to turn the wheel a significant amount to get turned. Even after I installed the SHG steering rack slider. (Which is also a must mod)

Now the MOST IMPORTANT mod that it seems like very few people do are doing are ROLL CENTER ADJUSTERS (RCA), aka extended lower ball joints.

I installed the buddy club RCA’s along with 0857 inverted tie rod ends together and the transformation was incredible. (Both of these I bought new). The angle of the tie rods was extremely steep due to the drop so these flipped them to mount underneath. When you lower the RSX the front lower control arms become very flat, almost parallel to the ground depending on the drop. The RCA essentially lowers the outer side (hub side) of the control arm, fixing the arm angle and essentially being back to stock geometry, just lower.

If your RSX has the same steering feeling as mine did after a significant ride height drop (>1.5”), you NEED RCA’s. There is relatively very little info on RCA’s on CRSX; threads say “Only if you go to the track”, or “small difference in bumpsteer“. Don’t listen to that. RCA’s do so much more on this car then reduce bump steer, they allow your car to have the precision of stock steering responsiveness while allowing you to reap all the benefits of stiffer and grippier aftermarket suspension.

I still had stock wheels and Bridgestone Potenza’s on the car this whole time. So if I still had the car I would have obviously done different wheels and tires, lsd, and prob 3way adjustable coilovers. In my opinion, type r/aftermarket control arms are kind of a waste of money UNTIL you have done the other mods I mentioned above. I also believe that RCA’s are more important than poly bushings, but obviously poly will help, just marginally compared to these.

For the inverted tie rod ends, the 0857s I believe were custom made by a CRSX user many many years ago, it was a miracle to find them brand new but I believe the next best thing would be the inv rod ends from K-tuned.

I know for some of you reading this you already know how crucial RCA’s are, I am no suspension expert but I’ve driven so many cars with JUST coilovers/lowered suspension that now have tons of dead steer, bmw’s, vw’s, honda’s, Z’s everything. I installed all these parts myself on the car, and I’ve had a blast with my RSX over just these few years. I cannot stress enough how fantastic it drives, with very little understeer, torque steer, or bump steer and extremely precise and controllable. These cars are fantastic in so many ways, so don’t let MacPherson strut suspension stop you from making a track beast. I hope that somebody benefits from this post or is able to fix the steering issues they are having. I am happy to share all my pics/info etc. from the process.

Full List: Tein Basis Z coilovers, Progress sway bars 27mm front 24mm rear w/ adjustable endlinks, Rear Camber kit, SHG steering rack slider, Buddy Club Roll Center Adjusters, 0857 inverted tie rod ends, and of course, a good alignment.

Long Live the Roll Center Adjuster.

·
Registered
2004 Acura RSX Type S
3 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently sold my 02 type s of 3+ years but I wanted to share what suspension mods I did to make my RSX handle incredibly well. I know there is two decades worth of forum material on suspension but from the many hours of research I’ve done when building my RSX for heavy canyon use, I never found threads stressing the importance of a few absolutely key components. I bought almost most of these parts used but in good condition, as I did this all age 16-19, I was on a budget.

First Mods: Tein Basis Z coilovers, Progress sway bars 27mm front 24mm rear, Rear Camber kit.
These were the basic first things, and while the car looked nice, the handling suffered incredibly, no it was not improper installation or alignment, it was the fact that the entire suspension geometry was completely ruined. Steering felt vague and heavy, with having to turn the wheel a significant amount to get turned. Even after I installed the SHG steering rack slider. (Which is also a must mod)

Now the MOST IMPORTANT mod that it seems like very few people do are doing are ROLL CENTER ADJUSTERS (RCA), aka extended lower ball joints.

I installed the buddy club RCA’s along with 0857 inverted tie rod ends together and the transformation was incredible. (Both of these I bought new). The angle of the tie rods was extremely steep due to the drop so these flipped them to mount underneath. When you lower the RSX the front lower control arms become very flat, almost parallel to the ground depending on the drop. The RCA essentially lowers the outer side (hub side) of the control arm, fixing the arm angle and essentially being back to stock geometry, just lower.

If your RSX has the same steering feeling as mine did after a significant ride height drop (>1.5”), you NEED RCA’s. There is relatively very little info on RCA’s on CRSX; threads say “Only if you go to the track”, or “small difference in bumpsteer“. Don’t listen to that. RCA’s do so much more on this car then reduce bump steer, they allow your car to have the precision of stock steering responsiveness while allowing you to reap all the benefits of stiffer and grippier aftermarket suspension.

I still had stock wheels and Bridgestone Potenza’s on the car this whole time. So if I still had the car I would have obviously done different wheels and tires, lsd, and prob 3way adjustable coilovers. In my opinion, type r/aftermarket control arms are kind of a waste of money UNTIL you have done the other mods I mentioned above. I also believe that RCA’s are more important than poly bushings, but obviously poly will help, just marginally compared to these.

For the inverted tie rod ends, the 0857s I believe were custom made by a CRSX user many many years ago, it was a miracle to find them brand new but I believe the next best thing would be the inv rod ends from K-tuned.

I know for some of you reading this you already know how crucial RCA’s are, I am no suspension expert but I’ve driven so many cars with JUST coilovers/lowered suspension that now have tons of dead steer, bmw’s, vw’s, honda’s, Z’s everything. I installed all these parts myself on the car, and I’ve had a blast with my RSX over just these few years. I cannot stress enough how fantastic it drives, with very little understeer, torque steer, or bump steer and extremely precise and controllable. These cars are fantastic in so many ways, so don’t let MacPherson strut suspension stop you from making a track beast. I hope that somebody benefits from this post or is able to fix the steering issues they are having. I am happy to share all my pics/info etc. from the process.

Full List: Tein Basis Z coilovers, Progress sway bars 27mm front 24mm rear w/ adjustable endlinks, Rear Camber kit, SHG steering rack slider, Buddy Club Roll Center Adjusters, 0857 inverted tie rod ends, and of course, a good alignment.

Long Live the Roll Center Adjuster.
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I currently have Ktuned rcas, i have heard pros and cons of inverted tie rods. I just got hardrace tie rods but for some reason i wasnt aware that inverted tie rods are also roll center tie rods? I just seen it called that which sparked the research. So i should not install my new inner/outer tie rod set and get inverted/roll center tie rods instead?

My car handles really well but I did notice it lose responsiveness when i swapped coilovers and lowered it a little more. From Tanabe Sustecs to Fortune Auto w/ swift 10/14k coils. The roll center ball joints and lcas didnt seem to make a ton of diferrence and now i have a feeling why. I need to complete the steering with inverted tie rods? I just want to be sure before i order inverted tie rods. Man i waited almost 3 months for my tie rods too!

Btw stock inner tie rods ok? I was lookomg at the Hardrace roll center outer tie rods.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts