641 - 660 of 666 Posts

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
let us know how it turn out

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Hey Mustclime, just read the suspension stickies. Great info.

My current suspension setup! Not my daily driver. Would like to bring this to either track or autoX soon after suspension/alignment/Bbk complete.

Volk se37k 17x8.5+45 wrapped in 255/40/17 Azenis 615k Fronts
17x7.5+48 wrapped in 225/45/17 Azenis 615k Rears
Ichiba 15mm hubbcentric spacers with studs front 10mm rear
RSD 10kg/mm f 16kg/mm r 560/896 lb/in 4/9 clicks clockwise
Todds custom tie rods
0857's customsteering bracket
Spc Front camber bolts 1 per side
Rear ingalls camber kit
Front em2 15.9 mm front sway
DC5R front brace
DC5R rear gussets
Mugen mid bar
Quaife LSD
Getting an alignment/corner balance real soon

Not sure on my current ride height at the moment but I'm not too low

Photo for ride height (unsure of exact drop). 1 finger in two wheel well and tire
[/QUOTE]

Note LCA angle is flat

Changed the rear drop to 1.7" I can put 3 fingers in btw wheel well and tires. It's a bit high it seems so I'm gonna go back down to about 2.2"

1) Need help deciding on which rear sway bar to get, I understand that this is where I want to go stiff or larger diameter??? What size should I aim for? I should get solid right?
2) Need help deciding an preload (damper adjustment) for RSD's. Just not sure where to start.
3) LAstly, I think I broke one of my RSD's because now when I turn the adjustment knob it just keeps clicking in either direction by more than 15 clicks, I can just keep on turning either way.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Nice....as for sways...I would start with a 05 type-s rear sway(21mm) and if you feel you have to much rear roll...then go with the cusco 25mm rear sway.

Yup, sound like part of you damper is messed up.

no such thing as perload....you have strait rate springs. On strait rate springs, you compress them a inch(25mm) ...you have just reduced your suspension travel by 1 inch...thats it.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Nice....as for sways...I would start with a 05 type-s rear sway(21mm) and if you feel you have to much rear roll...then go with the cusco 25mm rear sway.

Yup, sound like part of you damper is messed up.

no such thing as perload....you have strait rate springs. On strait rate springs, you compress them a inch(25mm) ...you have just reduced your suspension travel by 1 inch...thats it.
Would it be better to go straight to a 25 mm sway like the cusco you mentioned instead of starting with the smaller one? And would it be bad to get an even bigger rear sway?

Car is still on the rack but what can I expect with my ride/handling since I don't have a rear seat at the moment?

Also I just replaced the dampner knob which broke when I must have turned past its limit but it's an easy fix. Must be sung the wrong term when I said preload. I'm basically trying to figure out how many clicks I should set my front and rear dampners to start with. Should I start with 4 in the front and maybe 8 in the rear since from what I've read in the stickies that we need a higher spring rate in the rear. Although I don't think making the dampner stiffer will necessarily affect spring rate right? Should my rear dampner stiffness be double the fronts?

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
See My stickie on sway bars in the autoX section....with sways, bigger is not better. You want to run the smallest you can...

http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=657092

what the rear seat weigh? Like 40 lbs? Not going to do much.

I am guessing the knobs are not that well calibrated....Do a little reading on shock dyno's....the dampers are not that accurate.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Ok I'll try to get my hands on a type s rear sway
I set my dampners at 4 clicks in the front and 9 in the back for starters

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Planning on having a 3 point front strut bar made. Will the attachment to the front cowl be a sufficient attachment point without addition of any solid metal piece connecting to the firewall?

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
look at you splash tray by the wipers...thats your strut tie bar. they are not really needed on the ep3...bushings....very needed.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Thoughts on this statement about buddy club red on k series website? Didn't know increasing dampning force also increases spring rate.

"The basic compression (softest setting) offers excellent comfort for daily street use of the suspension kit. About 4kg/mm spring rate increase is expected with the damping force set to all the stiffest settings."

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
It really dosn't unless you are putting in one of those magnetic suspension setups they use on high end cars. Higher compression damping can make it feel like you have increased spring rates, it may even kinda feel like it....BUT, go into a long turn or on a skid pad and give the car time to set and it will lean over. I am not a fan of high compression settings, they tend to blow dampers on hard hits. Dampers should not be used to offset low spring rates, they should be used to control springs.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I read the sticky but I don't get why we can't lower rear much
I mean I get why lowering the front to much is bad because of LCA angling upwards but not sure what the logic is with the rear.

I edited post #642 with pictures of new drop
Rear currently 1.7" drop but didn't measure what it was before. I can put 3 fingers btw tire and fender. I'm probably gonna drop another 0.5" to make 2.2" drop. Do you think I would be ok with this drop I. The rear or will this negatively affect handling?

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
look at the shocks? How much travel do they have?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Ok will be ordering the energy suspension black bushing kit tomorrow but do you if this would be better for the front since it will also adjust caster. I don't think my rsd's have any caster adjustment.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'm also planning on getting this ASR subframe brace but I'm trying to figure out if it will work with any rear sway like the dc5r or type s sway. Any idea based on pix. It looks like it will fit to me but not sure. What end links would you recommend since I no longer have my rear oem links?

Edit:
Actually the more I look at it the more I think it should fit since it will use the oem ep3 brackets which should attach to the same location that the brace will attach to on the subframe

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
So I got my ES bushings but they are for the rsx!bwould they work in a ep3? I was told since Ep pins smaller diameter than rsx ones then there could be a little bit of play and I risk bolt slipping after alignment.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Yes they work, never hear that about the pins.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm going with that same setup - Type R sway with ASR brace, and did a lot of research. It should fit fine.

BTW - It's at JHPUSA for $181 with shipping included. That might save you a couple of bucks vs buying it at PJDM.

641 - 660 of 666 Posts