Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
941 - 960 of 982 Posts

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
Hey all. Been awhile since I came here. Thought I’d stop in for an update. I had a motorcycle accident last summer leaving me jobless so decided I’d finish my degree. 1 year left and I’ll have my bachelors in computer science.

as far as the car, I’ve still got it, and I only drive it once a week. Just hit 186k and the original clutch just started slipping. Gonna go with an exedy stage 1, and if I can find one, an act 11lb flywheel. Anyone had luck with comp clutch flywheels? I know there clutches are junk

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
My clutch and flywheel from them are fine.
good to know, i went with the exedy stage 1, and the 11/13 lb (cant remember) comp clutch flywheel. looking at reviews a ton of people were complaining about their comp clutch clutches shredding after about 10k so i played it the safe route. cant go wrong with an oem manufacturer.

I got a 25 year master tech from honda doing all the labor for $450 so felt like that was a steal of a deal and hes doing a great job. even sends me videos here and there of the work, and gave me a call to say he loved the car and how clean it was. While he is in there, he said my vtec solenoid was leaking, so hes replacing the gasket, and the oil cooler hose. I'm so anxious to get it back, break it in, then dump it for the first time ever. I never dumped the clutch or launched because i didnt know how much life it had left

·
Waifu Deluxe
795 Posts
Yeah, I don't really ever trust a lot of peoples reviews. A lot of people cut corners when working on their own cars. Some of the stuff I see on reddit is just sketchy sketch and they don't realize long term ramifications of what they consider small things.

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
Got my car back today. First of all, the guy who ended up doing it did an AMAZING job. He was so thorough he even cleaned each nut and bolt as well as the trans case, and while he was in there he did the vtec solenoid gasket because it was leaking, and cleaned the entire back side of the block.

now, this car has livened up a bit and is not very easy to drive right now. So on the oem clutch, the pedal felt kind of pressurized almost like a brake pedal, very smooth all the way down, easy to tell where it was grabbing. he said hit was because the TOB was toast and grimy. the new clutch, the pedal is very springy. its almost like an on/off switch. I cant dog it for another 400ish miles for break in, but i can already tell its peppy and takes off nice and smooth from about 1k rpm in 5th gear

·
Waifu Deluxe
795 Posts
Yeah I just have an OEM clutch and whatever the first lightweight clutch is, nothing super aggressive. I believe it was +/- 1lb of the dc5 ITR flywheel so it should've been perfect for my car. I have no complaints with it and it did exactly what I wanted it to, the revs climb easier for heel toe.

·
maison ikkoku ftw
429 Posts
it's good to read some actual reviews of rsx parts/car updates, thanks for posting piller and rickster

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
To the guys who regularly go to Tail of the Dragon (Matthews, Baur, Doug, anyone else I might have missed), how do you know what weekends are "empty?" I really want to make a trip down there this summer with the TVR, but I don't want to end up going there the same weekend one of the huge groups is there.

·
ジェームズ
5,285 Posts
yo. long time no talky talky

the jasons only log in here like once a year lol. better off texting them. doug pops in randomly from time to time

·
ジェームズ
5,285 Posts
its been months since i've logged in. bought myself another grom. promptly took it apart and had it in pieces for a month or so waiting on parts. cam, intake, and a bluetooth ecu. i can tune on the fly from anything bluetooth capable, so really just a phone because i'm not riding around with a tablet or laptop lol. pretty cool toy, gonna be zooming around town with my grom all summer.

i have a big bore kit, oil cooler, cam chain tensioner, and just waiting on a new oil pump before i throw the big bore kit in. shipping times are killing me just waiting on an oil pump, probably the cheapest part that i bought for this thing so far

big grom group at the dragon june 11th so don't go that weekend unless you want to do 30 mph the entire weekend

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
I think my new Exedy stage 1 has a problem already. Drives fine normally, but as soon as it hits 6k rpm in any gear the pedal develops more play at the top and feels easier to disengage. as soon as it gets to the next gear or rpm drops all is well again. From what im seeing thats because the weights that are normally supposed to clamp harder are actually causing it to clamp less under load

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Came super close to buying an RSX last night. Got the deal all figured out, but then decided I don't really have a good place for a 4th car right now, so would rather spend that money on a high-lift garage door so i can put in a lift and have more room later for cars I don't need, lol

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
Well my tachometer ALSO quit working. I also got an email back from exedy who is claiming I likely got a counterfeit from amazon. The seller has amazing ratings and listed it as a genuine exedy part. The kit even came with the oem throwout bearing so I'm not sure what to believe. But exedy did confirm that my clutch is not acting normally. I am just about on my last leg with my rsx at this point. All these little issues are adding up and I'm beginning to think of a replacement... Me and my girlfriend have been looking at used 6.2L raptors, and I've been looking at a 2015+ mustang gt

·
「リンディ」
1,369 Posts
I miss this forum.

See you fools in another few years.

941 - 960 of 982 Posts