Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

961 - 969 of 969 Posts

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
So followup to that conversation between me and Exedy. They claimed the issue im having where the clutch gets easier to press and slightly soft at high rpm 6500+ is NOT normal behavior... I had my master and slave both replaced with oem (em1 cmc) 2 years ago, and theres no leaks, braided line, and fluid looks clean. So thats kind of rules out. I also had Honda vacuum bleed the system and adjust the rod last year.

So knowing its not normal behavior, and theres no other apparent issues. And that I didnt have any problems like this before clutch replacement it leaves one thing left. The mechanic I had replace the clutch was a master tech for 25+ years at honda. He did an amazing job, including taking videos of the entire process. On Exedy's website they have a guide to spotting counterfeits vs real kits. Real have black hardware vs silver on the counters, The bearing size is different, the color of the metal on the clutch disk is different, and real exedy is stamped with exedy and the part number....

That being said, I found videos of him unboxing everything and he managed to record the parts. It had an oem branded throwout bearing, black rivets, disk color was correct, and even stamped exedy. So the kit is real. After more research I found countless number of people complaining about Exedy and their customer service absolutely refusing to acknowledge any issues on their behalf.

As much as I love my rsx its beginning to leave a bad taste in my mouth. outside of the occasional vtec engagement I dry it like a granny with cruise control 5 under 99% of the time. We agreed as soon as my school semester is over we are going to find a clean raptor to bring home.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Damn, sucks that Exedy still won't take responsibility, even with all that evidence. Hopefully it works out, but if not, I'm sure the Raptor will be way more fun, haha.

PS: Please let me know before you sell the RSX, I might be interested, haha

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
Damn, sucks that Exedy still won't take responsibility, even with all that evidence. Hopefully it works out, but if not, I'm sure the Raptor will be way more fun, haha.

PS: Please let me know before you sell the RSX, I might be interested, haha
I will keep you in mind. I will be living in Texas until next summer at least. But I was actually planning to keep the rsx. In the last 2 years I've only just put 6k miles on it, most of it since august with a 50 mile commute a couple times a week. It was my obtainable high school dream car, only to be topped by an EVO 8/9, and a Lotus Exige. I'm not sure if you guys keep up with the market, but early 2000s japanese cars are on the rise and fast. High mile em1 are going for 15k, Evo 8/9 are up to over 30k. This same thing is literally just starting to happen with the rsx chassis. I paid 5700 4 or 5 years ago, and now the average sale price is over 6k.

I love the RSX though. The tachometer fixed itself. I assume it has a loose connection and with the innovative mounts it might have just loosened it a bit. And the clutch issue is more of an annoyance than anything. I know its acting in a strange way that isn't intended, which is what bothers me even though it has no affect on performance.

I know I may just be dreaming at this point, but if all goes well once my degree is finished I may actually be replacing my garage queen with a Lotus.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
yeah, I was looking at getting an RSX again earlier this year, but prices are kind of insane. I agree, I think they'll continue going up a bit, especially for cars in good condition. Even at around 6k, they all had ripped seats, haha.

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
The market here in texas and from what I’ve seen, for 6k you are going to have a hard time finding something not completely ratted out with shit paint and eBay parts. I think they are going to continue rising also. They have the k20 which is arguably one of the best engines from Honda, they are manual from factory, still smallish and lightweight, and still mostly driver aid free and manual. I think the downfall of the fg civics is the fact they have eps and drive by wire and started getting larger and uglier.

on that note though, I’m not planning to keep the rsx as an investment, but because I love them. But seeing the value rise putting 50k miles on it also feels nice. Also knowing basically everything has been dealer maintained since knew and all parts on it are oem or better (no autozone or ebays) I feel comfortable in saying I have a decent example.

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
Triple post to pad that post count and thought dump.
I’ve been seeing em1s pull 10-15 with 200k miles. Cleanish gsr tegs doing 10k+. There’s no reason the type a shouldn’t see at least 10k considering it’s a better chassis in most people’s opinion

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I really miss mine, and I only had a crappy base automatic. Would love to get back into a type-S some day, but just can't justify the cost right now. Maybe once I fix up the Lancia I might flip it and look into one. Also thought about an EP3 instead, but hard to justify that over an RSX.

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
I really miss mine, and I only had a crappy base automatic. Would love to get back into a type-S some day, but just can't justify the cost right now. Maybe once I fix up the Lancia I might flip it and look into one. Also thought about an EP3 instead, but hard to justify that over an RSX.
when I was shopping around I was looking at em1, ep3, Audi A4 v6 awd manual, accord v6 manual, and preludes. My budget was about 6k back then and I didn’t think I’d find a type s for that. Ep3 and the Audi were high on my list because there were newer, manual, and a little nicer. Glad I didn’t go with an ep3. They are a little lackluster on the power. Actually I got super lucky on the rsx, a girl posted it and I went to look at it the next day and paid cash the day after. I paid 5700 which was $400 more than the trade in offer she got from Honda. (Because she wanted to pay off credit cards instead of her car loan). Up until last fall it still had the original 2004 Acura battery. And aside from an o2 sensor, the ac compressor and the clutch. It’s been stupid reliable.

961 - 969 of 969 Posts