Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a cybernation turbo as soon as i have enough money but unfortunatly (sort of) i have the mod bug. if i were to get the 3 inch exhaust now would it hurt my performance on my currently na car? i dont want o have to buy exhaust twice. Thanks!
 

·
...
Joined
·
6,734 Posts
No it won't hurt you. It is the same as if you were not under boost. You will most likely make more power while out of boost. Do it and be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just heard that with the loss of back preassure your car wont make the same power? i guess i am wrong here then?
 

·
...
Joined
·
6,734 Posts
When I am not under boost, I don't feel any lack of power. When the boost comes on I feel the power. You could do 4inch and it still wouldn't hurt you. Unless you have to drive over speed bumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
wdsonny said:
When I am not under boost, I don't feel any lack of power. When the boost comes on I feel the power. You could do 4inch and it still wouldn't hurt you. Unless you have to drive over speed bumps.
I would have to disagree. YOur NA car does require some back pressure that the 3" will not give you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
you dont want "back pressure", but you do want the right circumfrence piping to allow the maximum exhaust flow. This will be diffrent for na and turbo obviously. when are you planning on getting your turbo? Could you stand sacrifcing some power from your na with a 3 inch exhaust until you throw on the turbo is the question you should be asking yourself.
 

·
///M
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
driving NA with a 3'' exaust will make u LOSE power.... im waiting for boost and have my 3'' on now.. lack of power... :( loud and shit too..
 

·
...
Joined
·
6,734 Posts
Okay think about this. You are not boosting 100% of the time. The 3inch or bigger exhaust is not going to hurt you. The better the exhaust flows the better things work. Your intake is 3inches why shouldn't the exhaust be 3inches? Backpressure is a bad thing. Bent valves, backfiring, etc... But I guess the exhaust professors are in class today and I have no clue what I am talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would the thermal exhaust be supper loud with na? i am going to have to wait another year ir two untill i am able to get my turbo thanks to my warrentee and i want some bolt ons that i can just take off and put back on the stock components when i go in to have it serviced
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,800 Posts
I thought the idea of backpressure was to create a vacuum effect, thus pulling exhaust out faster, ideally increasing the rate of exhaust flow... more flow = better gains.
Therefore a good exhaust will be a balance; too small (too much backpressure = bad = backfiring farts), and too big would not allow for "optimal gains" since although it's capable of allowing more gas out, it's not flowing as fast; less volume per time is escaping.

The power oriented exhausts (not the show and sound ones) seem to lean towards a slightly larger than stock 2.36"-2.5" system, and 3" for forced induction applications.

I don't think that a 3" would hurt, but I think it would be less-than-optimal for N/A gains.

That's what I gather out of the whole thing, but I think wdsonny would have a much more hands-on and experienced opinion since he runs a 3", and the supercharger isn't boosting unless under hard acceleration.
 

·
...
Joined
·
6,734 Posts
Thank you. It's about time someone logical posted up. I have no problems with a 3inch. It is not loud to me. The 5zigen Fireball is way louder. The exhaust has a throaty kind of growl to it. Not sure how it sounds for a turbo type car. But when the SC whines up, it overpowers the exhaust and all you hear is that scream.

Frosty said:
I thought the idea of backpressure was to create a vacuum effect, thus pulling exhaust out faster, ideally increasing the rate of exhaust flow... more flow = better gains.
Therefore a good exhaust will be a balance; too small (too much backpressure = bad = backfiring farts), and too big would not allow for "optimal gains" since although it's capable of allowing more gas out, it's not flowing as fast; less volume per time is escaping.

The power oriented exhausts (not the show and sound ones) seem to lean towards a slightly larger than stock 2.36"-2.5" system, and 3" for forced induction applications.

I don't think that a 3" would hurt, but I think it would be less-than-optimal for N/A gains.

That's what I gather out of the whole thing, but I think wdsonny would have a much more hands-on and experienced opinion since he runs a 3", and the supercharger isn't boosting unless under hard acceleration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so if i had a cai and the thermal exhaust i would still be making ok power? i have had my car for a month and i an tired of being stock! i just didnt want to buy the intake and exhaust and then jst have it be as powerfull as stock. thanks everyone for chimming in. if i can find the exhaust used for cheap i will definatly get it now! thanks
 

·
...
Joined
·
6,734 Posts
You will be wasting time and money if you keep swapping out aftermarket parts everytime you get your car serviced. They cannot void your warranty for having aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the part affected a part of the car. I take my car to Ball Acura all the time, they know me by name. Every little thing that wears out, I have them fix it. They have yet to deny me warranty work and they won't. They tried one time and I threw the law in their face and from that point on, they bend over backwards to help me. Don't take a dealerships BS lies about parts and warranties. They are out to make money and if you let them they will rape you. But, if you stand tough they will learn they can't cheat you.

merlin2111 said:
would the thermal exhaust be supper loud with na? i am going to have to wait another year ir two untill i am able to get my turbo thanks to my warrentee and i want some bolt ons that i can just take off and put back on the stock components when i go in to have it serviced
 

·
...
Joined
·
6,734 Posts
Oh, by the way. You are not going to find the Thermal R&D Turbo Cat-Back used anytime soon. It was just released Feb. 1, 2004. Good luck and have fun. Tell us what it sounds like when you get it put on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya what is that one law called? i know it has a name but i just cant think of it. i know the exhaust just came out but it seems like alot of people are selling thier cars so you never know right. i dont know how my dealer is on warrentie stuff but hopefully they will be nice becasue i want to my door and bumper repainted soon becase the bumper is flaking off and the door has drip lines down the side. do you think they will cover thatr?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,800 Posts
merlin2111 said:
i dont know how my dealer is on warrentie stuff but hopefully they will be nice becasue i want to my door and bumper repainted soon becase the bumper is flaking off and the door has drip lines down the side. do you think they will cover thatr?
They should... unless you did something like hit something to cause the bumper to flake off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
wdsonny said:
You will be wasting time and money if you keep swapping out aftermarket parts everytime you get your car serviced. They cannot void your warranty for having aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the part affected a part of the car. I take my car to Ball Acura all the time, they know me by name. Every little thing that wears out, I have them fix it. They have yet to deny me warranty work and they won't. They tried one time and I threw the law in their face and from that point on, they bend over backwards to help me. Don't take a dealerships BS lies about parts and warranties. They are out to make money and if you let them they will rape you. But, if you stand tough they will learn they can't cheat you.
Please tell us about the law, cause I would like to be schooled up on it when I go get some warranty work.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,800 Posts
zulusTypeS said:
Please tell us about the law, cause I would like to be schooled up on it when I go get some warranty work.
Basics:
- Natural wear and tear = not covered (ie: brake pads, tires, etc).
- Damaged caused by not following scheduled maintenance = not covered (ie: engine problems because you haven't changed your oil for 35,000 miles)
- Damage caused by aftermarket part = not covered (ie: CAI filter falls off and a squirrel flies in resulting in damage)

If your part is not associated with the damage, it doesn't affect the warranty. (ie: they can't blame an engine failure if you installed springs).
More detailed, the aftermarket part has to be somehow linked as the source of the damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,623 Posts
wdsonny said:
Okay think about this. You are not boosting 100% of the time. The 3inch or bigger exhaust is not going to hurt you. The better the exhaust flows the better things work. Your intake is 3inches why shouldn't the exhaust be 3inches? Backpressure is a bad thing. Bent valves, backfiring, etc... But I guess the exhaust professors are in class today and I have no clue what I am talking about.
How are you not technically boosting 100% of the time? If you have a belt driven system that makes horsepower and the belts are constantly moving, then technically you are "boosting"......With any setup your constantly making boost unless your wastegate or other boost dumping device is open 100%.......

3 inch catbacks would be good for boost but id worry more about getting rid of the cat...you can only flow as much as your smallest pipe which in this case would be the cat...theres no point in having a cat and a 3inch exhaust
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,800 Posts
RsxManJoe said:
How are you not technically boosting 100% of the time? If you have a belt driven system that makes horsepower and the belts are constantly moving, then technically you are "boosting"......With any setup your constantly making boost unless your wastegate or other boost dumping device is open 100%.......
JRSC (belt driven) has a bypass valve when the car isn't under hard acceleration. The blower is still being turned by the fan belt, but it's not forcing air in, so you aren't boosted.

I guess they put in that feature for gas mileage/engine life.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top