Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok boys & girls, we are planning our yearly vacation & were considering Boston as a destination. We love to explore new cities.

What is there to do in Boston? Any really good musuems? Restaurant? Must See's?

I've read about the Freedom Trail & a couple of other things. I'm just wondering if there enough to keep us occcupied for a whole week, or if we should leave the Boston trip for a long weekend + a few days.

How's the weather up there in early Sept?

·
PM onebad 4n00ds
11,891 Posts
Ok boys & girls, we are planning our yearly vacation & were considering Boston as a destination. We love to explore new cities.

What is there to do in Boston? Any really good musuems? Restaurant? Must See's?

I've read about the Freedom Trail & a couple of other things. I'm just wondering if there enough to keep us occcupied for a whole week, or if we should leave the Boston trip for a long weekend + a few days.

How's the weather up there in early Sept?
Definitely a good choice for new places to explore. I lived in the city for 7 years and miss it more and more every day.

September is a nice time to go if you dont mind the extra traffic from the students. Make sure you dont go on September 1st because its move-in day and the whole city becomes a complete shitshow of moving trucks and mini-vans packed with co-eds.

The weather is typically really nice upper 60s-mid 70s, cooler at night but still really enjoyable.

I was never a huge fan of museums but the Museum of Fine Arts on Huntington Ave is probably the biggest and can have some cool exhibits from time to time.
www.mfa.org

There is also the Isabella Stuart Gardener Museum, right around the corner, where the largest art heist in history happened (wiki it) www.gardnermuseum.org

Id also recommend the New England Aquarium which takes a few hours to get around, they also have an Imax Theatre and whale watching boats there. www.neaq.org

The Boston Science Museum is cool too, also has an Imax and planetarium with laser shows at night :hi: www.mos.org

The Freedom trail is a good way to see downtown Boston, definitely takes some time to get around it, Id recommend going to the Union Oyster House which is one of the oldest bars/restaurants in the country and has great clam chowdah and raw bar.

Other places for good food would definitely be the North End, mostly italian food but pretty solid choices all up and down Tremont St. Go to Mike's Pastry and pick up a cannoli for dessert, you wont be dissappointed.

The duck boat tours are a bit of a money grab and are usually filled with lots of little annoying kids with duck noise makers, Id avoid them. You can probably rent a bike from a shop and get around the city easily. Stop by Boston Common and Public Gardens, its a nice place to chill out and people watch.

Head down to Newbury St for shopping, they have all the high end stores, lots of pretty faces and usually some nice cars. One street over from Newbury is Boylston where you can find The Prudential Center has some nice stores in it too, which is also attached to Coply Plaza, so if its raining or hot as fuck you can stay indoors and shop.

At 'The Pru' they have a restuarant on the top floor called 'The Top of The Hub' I have been meaning to go but my parents went and recommended it, they suggested going for lunch as their dinner menu is pricey and you can get some good value and the same great view during the day. www.topofthehub.net

If you feel adventurous head to the South End for more good food places. I havent been around town in a while but try Phantom Gourmet for reviews on restaurants. www.phantomgourmet.com.

Other places to see is Harvard Square in Cambridge, lots of good places to eat, check out Harvard University and MIT. Some really great architecture at both schools.

Faneuil Hall is the classic tourist spot in Boston, tons of restaurants inside but not a lot of places to sit down, many stores and bars and other restaurants all packed in one area. Its a good spot to go out for a drink at night. If you like asian food go to Wagamama's, highly recommended, they are huge over in Europe I guess and the only ones in the states are in Boston. http://www.wagamama.us/

Fenway Park, try to catch a game there, you can scalp tickets pretty cheaply once the game starts or try the ticket window an hour before gametime, they usually release tickets not sold at that time. Also a lot of bars and restaurants there on Lansdowne street including the new House of Blues and Jillians, an upscale bowling alley and 3 level bar. Other good places around Fenway to watch a game are Game-On and Cask-N-Flagon.

One place I've wanted to try but never been is the http://bleacherbarboston.com/flash/ its built into Fenway, accesible from Boylston St adjacent to the park and you can watch the game through the center field wall but you have to get there really early to secure a decent spot. Im not even sure if Im that dedicated and Im a Sox fan.

Any other questions let me know.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool man. Good info, I wish I could still + rep.

How's the public transportation in Boston? Do they have a decent subway system, or should I rent a car?

Most of the time, when we go to new cities we take public trans. & walk. only a few times have the cities had such shitty PT that I had to reant a car.

·
PM onebad 4n00ds
11,891 Posts
Cool man. Good info, I wish I could still + rep.

How's the public transportation in Boston? Do they have a decent subway system, or should I rent a car?

Most of the time, when we go to new cities we take public trans. & walk. only a few times have the cities had such shitty PT that I had to reant a car.
Its a decent system, fairly easy to navigate, its not on a grid like NYC but people are usually friendly enough to point you in the right direction.

You can get a week pass that will give you unlimited travel on the buses, subways and the inner harbor ferry for $15 which is a good deal even if you plan on making it a long weekend. Each trip is now $2.00 cash or a slight discount if you get a pre-paid reloadable 'Charlie Card' It would allow you to make multiple stops all over the city, which is probably the way to go, you can walk a lot of places but going from say the MFA to Faneuil Hall or Cambridge, you would definitely want to take the subway/bus.

Definitely wouldnt rent a car. The Blue Line goes right to Logan airport, a bus picks you up at the terminal for free and drops you off minutes away at the station. Takes maybe 10minutes to get downtown.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool.

It's still up in the air. Every time I go down to meet with my engineers, I get reinded of how cool new downtowns are. We have really fond memories of walking around cities while people are hustling to & from work.

On the other hand, we've both been working pretty hard & wouldn't mind just relaxing, so we are looking in to All Inclusive hotels in Jamiaca (which we've been to & was great) & Cabo San Jose in the Mexican part of Baja. Both have great reviews, all you can eat & all you can drink top shelf liquer.

Regardless, if we don't go to Boston now, we will definately go in the near future.

·
PM onebad 4n00ds
11,891 Posts
Cool.

It's still up in the air. Every time I go down to meet with my engineers, I get reinded of how cool new downtowns are. We have really fond memories of walking around cities while people are hustling to & from work.

On the other hand, we've both been working pretty hard & wouldn't mind just relaxing, so we are looking in to All Inclusive hotels in Jamiaca (which we've been to & was great) & Cabo San Jose in the Mexican part of Baja. Both have great reviews, all you can eat & all you can drink top shelf liquer.

Regardless, if we don't go to Boston now, we will definately go in the near future.
Sweet, hit me up on the PM if you have any ?s in the future, I dont check here that often anymoe.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Best option:

Dont.

There are always those who don't like a place for one reason or another.

When I posted a similar thread in the Canada forum for tips on my trip to Montreal & Quebec I got of "this place sucks" & "go somewhere else, there's nothing to do here" replies.

That trip turned out to be one of our favorites. It was fucking awsome & many fine memories were created.

I mean, it's not like I'm asking for advice on my vacation to Compton.

·
1,200hp stable... Bitches
7,473 Posts
Definitely a good choice for new places to explore. I lived in the city for 7 years and miss it more and more every day.
That's because you moved to canada.... hell, I'd miss newark if i somehow moved up there.

Go take a shit on fenway paaaaak for me while you're there lol
^^^^.... this. :thumbsup:

On a serious note, boston is cool... my favorite place there is F1 go kart racing.

·
ICUStalking
10,193 Posts
There are always those who don't like a place for one reason or another.

When I posted a similar thread in the Canada forum for tips on my trip to Montreal & Quebec I got of "this place sucks" & "go somewhere else, there's nothing to do here" replies.

That trip turned out to be one of our favorites. It was fucking awsome & many fine memories were created.

I mean, it's not like I'm asking for advice on my vacation to Compton.
The people suck. Their sports teams suck. They speak less english than a group of illegals running from the INS.

Upsides: Sam Adams Brewery, the aquarium if you like that sort of thing. And good restaurants but thats to be expected from a large city. And some American history.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't hate the Patriots/Celtics as much as I hate the Jets & Knicks (& their fans)

I speak more Spanish here than I do English, so that's not a problem, unless their bi-ligual is some other language.

I do like Sam Adams & aquariums. American history is pretty cool.

·
-
8,935 Posts
If you like this sort of thing, I saw the Boston Pops at christmas and they were incredible...

Im not sure how often they play at the hatch shell (along the Charles) but if you can see them, do it!

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you like this sort of thing, I saw the Boston Pops at christmas and they were incredible...

Im not sure how often they play at the hatch shell (along the Charles) but if you can see them, do it!
ok, what are they ?

we've run in to a couple of concerts while on vacation that were pretty cool. While in San Fran we actually saw 2, a jazz concert going on at Yerba Buena Gardens & then a few days later a classical music concert at Golden Gate Park. Both were very cool.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.