Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
馃枻 02 type-s 馃枻
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry for the long story.

I just made an account and this is my first pit stop, haven't even explored the site yet. I hope theres someone out there that can help me on this problem though. I have an 02 rsx-s that's pretty stock with 108k mileage on it right now. Bought it used back in 05 with 50k on it. Had sis bf check the car out for me. He said its good so I believed him and bought the car and my first oil change and mechanic says it needs a new clutch asap. Wtf was all I kept saying. Anyways, money was tight so I babied it and held out and drove grandma style until 80k and then it went out and I installed a new clutch. Fast forward until 2 days ago.

Husband drove out of parking lot from work, loud crazy clunking noises started with white smoke coming from under hood. He used whatever energy left and turned car back into parking lot. Looked under car and found metal pieces all over. My client from work has an autobody shop and had a mechanic take a quick look at it. He says he think its a blown motor but wasn't sure yet until he takes engine apart.

I asked him if it was something I did or was it preventable and he said no. He said I actually kept the car in really good shape and that it just happened. I got confused on how a really good maintained car gets its motor blown out of nowhere. I dont race, I dont rev high, and maintenance was on schedule. So wtf? Was it the idiot who sold it to me back then that started all this, he did burned out the clutch at 50k so who knows what that did? I really dont think its me though.

Im no pro when talking about engines so thats where I need help from u guys. If it is a blown motor and I need to swap engines, what's the price on something like that? My client's husband gave me a rough estimate on how much this would cost. Used engine $3500 and labor $1700. Does that sound right? I did some research last night and I thought my estimates were kinda high compared to what Ive read. Co-workers are telling me to get a new car. I said hell no dammit, Im keeping my car forever, its my first baby and I cant afford to get a new car with payments anyways. Just bought a house recently. Any suggestions on where I can buy a low mileage one? Stock? JDM? Any helps appreciated. Thanks.

Registered
Sorry to hear about your car issues. Were there any signs of wear prior? Was it low on oil? I believe our cars burn a bit of oil. Anused engine can be less that $3500 but I don't what the prices in Chicago is like. I would shop around. Labor prices depends on how much a shop wants to charge you. Some places can be cheaper than $1700 if they are slow and need work, you can negotiate prices. If you were to pay full price at $5200, you may be better off just getting another used car and selling your car if money is tight.

Registered
What did you mean by "looked under the car and saw metal pieces all over"??

If money is tight you could save yourself a few thousand bucks by buying a k20a3 instead of a k20a2. A used a3 goes for around 500-900 vs 2500-3500 for the a2. It would at least get the car back on the road.
Also be very careful if you plan on shopping for a new used type s engine. They are getting harder to come by and a desirable engine. You could easily end up with one that's in just as bad of shape as the one you're pulling out if you don't know what to check for.
Guys on here do a pretty good job showing the condition of their engines for sale, might even find someone local to save on freight
Also eBay, but again be careful.

Registered
First i'd have to say that its really terrible to see such a low mileage engine go like that; if it is indeed the engine then it might have been oil starvation what blew it. However, id have to agree with last user; what do you mean with metal pieces all over? can you track down where there coming from? maybe a picture will help. Second, those prices you got quoted are ridiculous. you can probably get a brand new k20a2 long block at that price. My advice to you would be search around for different shops and if possible ones that deal with hondas mostly. Also, shop around for a k20a2 long block from a junkyard (Go here-http://www.car-part.com/) make sure you get warranty on it and have it shipped to whoever is installing it. Should be no more than $2000 for the long block with decent mileage; as far as labor costs i would pay no more than 1000. A small repair shop might be able to do it for $700. Lastly, i would not recommend at all getting a k20a3; even though it is cheaper, components such as the ecu, are different and the car would perform poorly.

Registered
馃枻 02 type-s 馃枻
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What did you mean by "looked under the car and saw metal pieces all over"??

If money is tight you could save yourself a few thousand bucks by buying a k20a3 instead of a k20a2. A used a3 goes for around 500-900 vs 2500-3500 for the a2. It would at least get the car back on the road.
Also be very careful if you plan on shopping for a new used type s engine. They are getting harder to come by and a desirable engine. You could easily end up with one that's in just as bad of shape as the one you're pulling out if you don't know what to check for.
Guys on here do a pretty good job showing the condition of their engines for sale, might even find someone local to save on freight
Also eBay, but again be careful.
He looked under the car after he got it back in the parking lot and saw 1-2 inch chunks/pieces of unrecognizable metal on ground that looked like something got blown up. He and a co-worker tried to look where it came from but couldn't find the source, my car is pretty low btw so I dont think they could of seen much if it wasnt jacked up. Moneys tight but not that tight but I dont want to buy a new car with payments. I can do up to 4000. Thanks for the info on what engines I should get. Im gonna look everyday on here if any guys are selling any. :thumbsup:

Registered
馃枻 02 type-s 馃枻
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First i'd have to say that its really terrible to see such a low mileage engine go like that; if it is indeed the engine then it might have been oil starvation what blew it. However, id have to agree with last user; what do you mean with metal pieces all over? can you track down where there coming from? maybe a picture will help. Second, those prices you got quoted are ridiculous. you can probably get a brand new k20a2 long block at that price. My advice to you would be search around for different shops and if possible ones that deal with hondas mostly. Also, shop around for a k20a2 long block from a junkyard (Go here-http://www.car-part.com/) make sure you get warranty on it and have it shipped to whoever is installing it. Should be no more than $2000 for the long block with decent mileage; as far as labor costs i would pay no more than 1000. A small repair shop might be able to do it for $700. Lastly, i would not recommend at all getting a k20a3; even though it is cheaper, components such as the ecu, are different and the car would perform poorly.
Cant be oil, Im pretty good on my maintenance. Every 3K on m1 oil with kn filter. Yea, I thought those prices were high even though I dont know much about engines. Umm, the other guy says k20a3 and ur saying no, Ill definitely research on that. Thanks for ur help on the prices, really helps. Ill check that site out too.

Registered
Moneys tight but not that tight but I dont want to buy a new car with payments. I can do up to 4000.
Then do yourself a favor and buy something cheap to get you around town for the time being. Park the RSX and start rebuilding it yourself. They aint that hard to work on, and you're just asking for future trouble by buying some over priced, used engine and tossing it in your car.

Doesn't Give A F*ck
find yourself a 1k beater and use the other 3k to search for some parts. i mean, if it's possible to save the motor you have now, see how much it would be for a rebuild. then again, if you don't want to go that route, motors go for sale all the time on this site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.