Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time i wash my car, it just doesnt shine anymore, not even after a good waxing. I think its because i used tshirts to wash/dry my car up till last month *smacks self*. Under the sun, all I can see are these darn spiderwebby swirls all over my car. :( I own a black rsx...so these things really really show up. After browsing around in the forums, I have made the following conclusion (plz correct me if im wrong):

On my next wash, i will get rid of/hide the swirls by using ScratchX, followed up by a Zaino z2 or z5 polish, then a nice wax (meguires?).

will this pretty much solve my problem?

·
Registered
384 Posts
you might just need a full detail if you were washing cars with a Tshirt.
Take a day out of your life and dedicate it to this.

1: Wash your car well.
2: Clay every inch of it.
3: wash it again. Dry it with lint free towels. ( you can get a pack of 12 at costco, these are yellow and super super soft)
4: Zaino Z1 Polish Lok, just apply, do not remove.
5: apply Z5, and Use a lint free cloth to buff it with.

if needed, apply second coat of Z5, and damn boy take care of that car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i use a chamois to dry right now. would this scratch up/make swirls on the car? I've heard of washmitts doing that but i cant find anything on the forums about chamois putting swirls or scratches on the car.

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,812 Posts
i think the only downside for a chamois is that it takes a long time to dry the car. The whole dry, wring, dry, wring some more process seems to make people stay away from it. I use a chamois to dry my car, and i like it. But of course, i have a lot of time in my hands. Others prefers other drying components since they dont have much time on their hands. Shit, i've even heard of someone drying their car off with a leafblower on these boards. Maybe that should do the trick, instead of using t shirts. :laughing:

·
Go Hokies!!!
407 Posts
i'm dealing with the same problem. Here are some tips that people have given me. Make sure that you have a quality wash mitt and that you are using the two bucket method, one for suds the other for rinsing. Instead of using a chamois try picking up one of those big blue mf towels from autopia or premiumautocare.

I dont think you should use stratch x for the whole car, i believe it is meant for small areas. Try picking up some #9 which is not that abrasive. Try going to autopia.com or properautocare.com to read up on proper detailing techniques. These sites are really helpful.

About zaino, never used it before. try nxt wax it works pretty well for the amount you pay. just my 02

·
Registered
211 Posts
sithlord said:
hmm...how about z5 + z2 + Meguire's NXT? ;)
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Meg's NXT system designed to do the same thing as Z5+Z2?

BTW, I tried the leafblower thing to get the water out of the mirror housings and mounts...didn't work too well for me, just wound up blowing teeny little droplets all over spots I had already washed/dried. :thumbsdown:

My big blues came in today...looking forward to getting them out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Lakers4Life said:
I tried using that, didn't work to well for me..
still got alot of swirls :(

The obsorber cham works good. I have a black s and the Meguires gold class works real nice you may want to try it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:) thanks guys. but i more question. when applying wax, will any applicator do? ie: 100% cotton terry, mf, foam, etc?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I use the foam applicator that came with my meguire's wax. I know they make terry cloth applicator you just have to find them......check autozone or some place lik that.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
sithlord said:
On my next wash, i will get rid of/hide the swirls by using ScratchX, followed up by a Zaino z2 or z5 polish, then a nice wax (meguires?).

will this pretty much solve my problem?
No - it will only hide it. Get them taken care of . . . get if buffed, if you wont do it yourself. $100-150 an dit should look like new - then start over with proper care and products . . . :wavey:

·
Registered
214 Posts
if your getting swirls and you /think/ its from your chamois... you're using the chamois wrong.

actually with anything you use to dry wether its a chamois or Big Blue, you want to spread the cloth out and lay it on your cars surface...and pull it across. For the sides spread it out and keep it spread by using your hands on the top and bottom and drag it in one direction.. dont ever fold it up and move it in circular motions. you get more scratches from drying than anything.

clay bar is your friend ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just an update because I'm so happy...

I used the Big Blue towels for the first time this past weekend, and they're WONDERFUL. :love: Before I got them, I used a water blade and the absorber... it took forever to dry, and I wasn't at all happy with the results. The BB towels cut my drying time at least in half, and left the car looking great!

·
Registered
336 Posts
scratch x doesn't work. You can do a detail yourself if you have the proper tools or take it to a pro and pay about $150-$200 depending on condition of vehicle. BTW, that price should include interior detail as well. Now, if you're serious about exterior car care get yourself a PC7424, its worth everydime, you get good results and you don't have to worry about burning paint.

If your paint doesn't shine after waxing then you need to get the paint polished/cleaned first. all wax does is put a temporary gloss on your car, but if its dirty underneath then it really is only "temporary". I'd recommend the following steps:
1. Wash car, i use zymol autowash and a sheepskin mit
2. dry car, i use a chamoise and my shop vac to suck water out of the damn side mirrors
3. Clay bar the entire car, you surface should feel as smooth as glass before you proceed.
4. Get a paint cleaner/polisher, i used DACP but there are tons to choose from such as medallion paint cleaner and Einzett. These remove swirls. Start with a light abbrasive product and work your way up.
5. Seal/Glaze the paint. This step brings the shine back to your paint. I use meg's products, mostly since i'm only an enthusiast.
6. Wax the car, several light applications are better than one fat one. I like NXT and Zymol. Gold Class i've heard is good. there are more expensive options out there as well.
7. You can top the wax with something else if you like or leave as is.

Notes: Make sure you take your time, and that you use high quality clothes. Foam applicators are good for applying wax. Microfibre towels are good for removing waxes and polishes. Be sure to always use a clean cloth, and don't use the same one for more than one type of application. Also, don't wax or remove wax in a circular motion, use a back and forth or up and down motion. Circular motion makes swirls. Well, thats all for now. email me if you like, maybe i can help you out some more. good luck.

Wil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts