Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Custom intake with y for short RAM and ca intake combo.... Any thoughts of this and is it ready worth... Pretty much what I'm tryna have people to consider if u can get the best of both words with this setup

·
Sith Lord
3,746 Posts
The air is going to travel the path of least resistance.

Therefore you will be offsetting the bonus of having the CAI because of the fact it will prob be pulling hot (faster moving) air in from the short ram.

just get a CAI with a rubber elbow like the injen one and keep a short ram in the trunk so you can swap it out when it is raining (if that is your holdup on the CAI)

What is the reasoning behind you thinking a dual intake is a good idea to begin with?

·
Look fast. Drive slow.
1,350 Posts
I have no complaints with my SRI, unlike most the filter isn't sitting by the header lol, its grabbing fresh air coming in the upper grille.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The air is going to travel the path of least resistance.

Therefore you will be offsetting the bonus of having the CAI because of the fact it will prob be pulling hot (faster moving) air in from the short ram.

just get a CAI with a rubber elbow like the injen one and keep a short ram in the trunk so you can swap it out when it is raining (if that is your holdup on the CAI)

What is the reasoning behind you thinking a dual intake is a good idea to begin with?
my guess would be that with a CAI and a SRI connected with a Y, there would be two entry points for suction of air to pull from and therefore more air being pulled in..

mythbuster it? :dontknow:

·
gingers have no souls
1,828 Posts
what i would use at the Y is a remote exhaust cut out valve. that way you would have the option to switch between the two different intakes with a push of a button or switch.

·
Super Moderator
23,794 Posts
what i would use at the Y is a remote exhaust cut out valve. that way you would have the option to switch between the two different intakes with a push of a button or switch.

OMG that just sounds fucking stupid to put it bluntly :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:laughat:

You want more air go BOOST

·
gingers have no souls
1,828 Posts
not as stupid as when you would switch to your makeshift short ram during a sudden storm in the rain. besides if op were to do that i would recommend the cold air as primary intake and at the Y a filter attached.

·
LessGOmoarSLOW
422 Posts
I kinda like that idea of exhaust cut out intake for rain situations. but other than that is sounds like a over expensive waste of time/space in your bay. Plus dont they make a piece for higher up the pipe to prevent hydrolocking?
I agree that if you want more air. force it in!

·
FS: Vtec Fluid
228 Posts
This isn't going to work man. Have you ever had a crack in a straw and tried to drink with it? The suction only brings in air from the crack (SRI in your case) and not from the end of the straw in the soda (CAI in your case). The CAI end will have more resistance than the SRI because of the bend near the filter. Even if you got it to flow evenly between them, you'd still be ruining your cold air when it hits air from the warm intake. ...also you won't be getting any extra air to the engine this way. Not going to work man.

·
0 Posts
I like DIY mods as much as the next guy and have a some pretty whacky things to my car over the years but if there is one area where people will keep looking for the silver bullet that does not exist, it is air intake for the DC5. There are plenty of ways to put a K&N element into your car that uncorks the inlet tract but unfortunately, pretty much all of them involve "breathing hot engine bay air". It's like, there are only so many ways to actually get cool, fresh air into the engine bay of the DC5, and they have all pretty much been explored.

Hoods and ducts? Sure go for it. Show me one of those that doesn't hack the car to pieces or cost a million bucks to make maybe 5 more horsepower.

Not hating on the idea, just saying that this horse died a long time ago.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I like DIY mods as much as the next guy and have a some pretty whacky things to my car over the years but if there is one area where people will keep looking for the silver bullet that does not exist, it is air intake for the DC5. There are plenty of ways to put a K&N element into your car that uncorks the inlet tract but unfortunately, pretty much all of them involve "breathing hot engine bay air". It's like, there are only so many ways to actually get cool, fresh air into the engine bay of the DC5, and they have all pretty much been explored.

Hoods and ducts? Sure go for it. Show me one of those that doesn't hack the car to pieces or cost a million bucks to make maybe 5 more horsepower.

Agreed. After years of entertaining all sorts of "creative" ideas and running a gutted airbox with a DIY Mugen vent, I got a shovel, buried the stinking carcass, and bought an Injen CAI. Guess I've been running it about 4 years now. I've no complaints. I wrapped it with foam pipe insulation and foil tape; that helps keep the temps down in city driving. The only new thing I see coming is the silicone CAI from Hybrid Racing; that should suck up a bit less heat from the engine bay... or just insulate a metal one.

·
Registered
864 Posts

:iamwiths:

Just so you guys know, all of these stupid mods probably make such a small difference. Look at this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Not a "Y" in a pipe, but it's a similar concept. Says the difference in pressure drop between no filter element and a high performance one is minimal. IE, all of these changes everyone talks about on intakes are so stupid. They're not very noticeable at all.

The only new thing I see coming is the silicone CAI from Hybrid Racing; that should suck up a bit less heat from the engine bay... or just insulate a metal one.
Also 9 / 11, I'm going to take some metal insulation tape and wrap it around my short ram and see how the IAT's look on an OBD scanner for kicks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
not as stupid as when you would switch to your makeshift short ram during a sudden storm in the rain. besides if op were to do that i would recommend the cold air as primary intake and at the Y a filter attached.
I've had a CAI on my '04 RSX-S for close to 3 years now, it's lived through WA rain, CA rain, TX rain, NM rain and SC rain. Some of which were heavy enough down pours that visibility was near 30-40ft in front of me max and on the freeway. I've yet to have any issues with it. Just don't drive through puddles like an idiot and I can't really see you getting enough water up to where the filter in a CAI sits to worry.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I sourced out a Comptech Icebox, one of the best options imo. It better's regular tube intakes in such that the intake bring air into a camber. The Filter is raised I the upper half of the chamber giving extra protection from sucking in liquid, and being it's cold air, does give a mild hp increase

·
0 Posts
I sourced out a Comptech Icebox, one of the best options imo. It better's regular tube intakes in such that the intake bring air into a camber. The Filter is raised I the upper half of the chamber giving extra protection from sucking in liquid, and being it's cold air, does give a mild hp increase
Just my opinion: The Comptech Icebox is really not any more "performance" than stock. And I owned one for several years.

I can tell you that it will not make much power over stock because the ignition tables when I had it n the car were a lot closer to the stock airbox than to the true cold air intake. It is a lot quieter, though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts