Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the deal. Im not looking to spend crazy money, and im not looking to make insane numbers either. my power goals are 250 to 270whp..here are the parts so far

Cheap turbo kit from ebay: 800 bucks
kpro:700 bucks
walbro fuel pump: 50 bucks
fuel injectors: 350
afr and boost guage: 100 (try to find them used or score a deal)

anyways the entire build will cost around 2 grand..I know im cutting corners ecspecially since i wont be replacing the clutch..but I dont plan on taking the car to the track or doing any hard launches..just a few street pulls, and some antilag to flex on the ricers..overall i just want the car to be faster then stock, and make some cool turbo noises...the car is an 02 type s..188k..still runs and drives perfectly..pulls hard...so yes the motor is high mileage i know..anyways would this be worth doing? btw i will be tuning it myself with a buddy who knows his way around kpro supposedly..anyways post your thoughts on this..

·
GTX35R
30,385 Posts
So......

IMO if you're looking for 300 or less then go all motor. With basic bolt ons and stuff you can get pretty close to that. The reason I say that is because there is no cutting corners when it comes to going turbo. You cut corners you will blow your motor or something.

That being said what you have listed seems good. Few things I noticed that are missing

1) Fuel Feed and Return Lines? Depending on your injectors and stuff you may be limited by what the stock system can handle no matter what injectors and pump you put in it.
2) No sure what's included in the ebay kit, but things like wraps for your stock hoses, vacuum tubing, wastegate, dump tube, bov, misc parts. How much of that is included in the kit
3) Exhaust?

Your tune is really going to be important. Stock you're running a high compression piston so making sure you avoid knock is important. Having someone tune it who knows what they are doing is important. Again if you want the turbo noises that's cool. You have to decide if the extra wear and tear on the motor is worth it.

·
I Hate Honda's
1,119 Posts
I'd say trash that plan or go supercharged. Don't budget build a turbo you'll end up spending way more in the end to get it right.

·
GTX35R
30,385 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Not sure if your ebay kit comes with an intercooler but you will need that also. And like everyone has said, you do not want to go cheap with a turbo build. That ebay kit might be cheap, but you will end up "upgrading" most of the parts.

Also if you upgrade the injectors, you will not need a return fuel line for the HP that you want. I ran a Greddy kit for over 15 years with 650cc injectors and no return line. A proper tune is key. After getting tune with my greddy kit, I had over 300 HP.

And like someone said, you will need an exhaust
GL

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You need to address how you'll hook up the exhaust, and you'll need a better BOV and waste gate. You'd get by with stock clutch and have some fun. Not sure if you kit has fuel regulator and at 300 you probably don't need bigger injectors. Or build it and run it and replace what lets you down. Look how many factory turbos don't have any of the fancy stuff and make extra power, but remember the equation. Lots o pile of money to make >HP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You will get by a few months on your stock clutch but it will be the first thing to go. I know cause I was at 280hp and 200ft lbs of torque from a supercharger. If you want cheap and reliable for around 2k go with supercharger by it used with aftercooler and skunk 2 throttle body. Take it to a professional tuner not just a friend who says he knows a bit when you boost your engine ot needs to be remapped by someone who knows what they are doing not someone who has watched a few videos and changed a few things for basic bolts on.

·
Always on TDY...
2,153 Posts
I'd say trash that plan or go supercharged. Don't budget build a turbo you'll end up spending way more in the end to get it right.
Agreed 100% based on your power goals.

·
Registered
77 Posts
heres the deal. Im not looking to spend crazy money, and im not looking to make insane numbers either. my power goals are 250 to 270whp..here are the parts so far

Cheap turbo kit from ebay: 800 bucks
kpro:700 bucks
walbro fuel pump: 50 bucks
fuel injectors: 350
afr and boost guage: 100 (try to find them used or score a deal)

anyways the entire build will cost around 2 grand..I know im cutting corners ecspecially since i wont be replacing the clutch..but I dont plan on taking the car to the track or doing any hard launches..just a few street pulls, and some antilag to flex on the ricers..overall i just want the car to be faster then stock, and make some cool turbo noises...the car is an 02 type s..188k..still runs and drives perfectly..pulls hard...so yes the motor is high mileage i know..anyways would this be worth doing? btw i will be tuning it myself with a buddy who knows his way around kpro supposedly..anyways post your thoughts on this..
the oem clutch will hold about 260ish anything above that on my 03 that was about 290 it is a pain in the dick to shift at high rpms and if your in a low gear with lag and the turbo spools it will slip like a mother fucker. I’d at least run like a stage 2 cheapo clutch or so. Even a carbon Kevlar disk would help I’m sure.
Also mileage means nothing on a K if it’s been taken care of. I had a full greddy kit on 10psi (tiny turbo) stock mounts and everything it was quick. It was boosted from 122k all the way to 220k miles. 0 problems. I think it’ll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts