Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Honda injectors are notorious for making a slight clicking sound---especially upon startup and when the engine is still cold...it's just a thought.

How many miles are on your car?

Acura recommends that our cars have a valve adjustment done at or around 100K miles. Personally, I'm over the century mileage mark, and I've yet to get a valve job...no need if they're not making noise---I'm just tryin' to give you options to look for. All in all, if ain't broke---don't fix it. From what I've been told lately, since acura switched over to using a timing chain instead of a belt....the valve train hardly ever needs adjusting....and even if they were to adjust them--they may find that they would only be out of spec by a few millimeters.

Either way--crank your car in the morning, let idle for 5 or 10 minuets...listen for that sound. Then go for a drive for little while and warm up the engine and listen for it again. I think if you only hear it when the motor is cold---during warm up, you're probably fine.

Anyone else who can shed some light---please chime in.

-J

·
Crunch time
3,387 Posts
^^ well that's common for all cars after the car has run for awhile and your oil's heated up, drips and makes the ping sound. but you said it did that when it was running...make sure it's not one of your pulleys either, cuz my P/S pulley makes squeaky sounds that I thought was ticking sounds.

Quick check would be:

take off IM cover, turn car on, listen for sound, pull on the throttle cable and listen more for exactly where the sound is coming from.

EDIT:...and i doubt it's your oil...

·
Wheres the Bulkhead?
354 Posts
its the injectors ticking when the car is cold. Mine does it but once it warms up the sound goes away

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
its only got 36k on it.. Someone told me its bad oil? i dont see how that can cause ticking.. i use valvoline(sp) synthetic about every 4-5k miles. I have yet to take it to the dealer cause they are quite a ways away.
Definitely not the oil...I'm leaning more towards the injectors.

The B Series motors were loud and noisy also. These new K Series motors are a little more refined---but I'm beginning to see that they too make noise from time to time.

I'm willing to bet everything is fine...as you rack up miles your engine will moan and groan every once and while. Hell, I listen to mine all the time, and if I were to stop and try to diagnose every little sound I heard----I would never go anywhere.

It's okay to be a little paranoid w/ the sounds...can't be too cautious I guess. For only 36K miles, your engine should be solid as a rock.

Like stated above, it could possibly be your P/S pully kinda squeeling or ticking---but I doubt it w/ your low mileage. Mine is just starting to make a little noise sometimes and I'm over 100K miles....I'll probably replace my serpitine belt soon.

I'm gonna go w/ my gut and say it's the injectors making that ticking sound.

For most cases---it's totally normal.

-J

·
unknown
74 Posts
Pull your valve cover and check your exhaust camshaft lobes. My 'o2 base started ticking before I hit the 40k but I ignored it thinking I needed a valve adjustment. Long story short, I finally got a friend to adjust my valves and ended up finding out one of my exhaust cam lobe was galled. And I was out of warranty too. This is only a possibility though.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=405409&highlight=defected

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Definitely not the oil...I'm leaning more towards the injectors.

The B Series motors were loud and noisy also. These new K Series motors are a little more refined---but I'm beginning to see that they too make noise from time to time.

I'm willing to bet everything is fine...as you rack up miles your engine will moan and groan every once and while. Hell, I listen to mine all the time, and if I were to stop and try to diagnose every little sound I heard----I would never go anywhere.

It's okay to be a little paranoid w/ the sounds...can't be too cautious I guess. For only 36K miles, your engine should be solid as a rock.

Like stated above, it could possibly be your P/S pully kinda squeeling or ticking---but I doubt it w/ your low mileage. Mine is just starting to make a little noise sometimes and I'm over 100K miles....I'll probably replace my serpitine belt soon.

I'm gonna go w/ my gut and say it's the injectors making that ticking sound.

For most cases---it's totally normal.

-J
:iamwiths:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts