Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mech. Eng. Tech.
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just finished installing the Revo short shift kit. So far so good, I only took a short drive with it so I'll give it a few days before deciding if it was a good investment or not :)

Anyway, one thing I noticed is that I expected it to take out a lot of the play in the shifter. It did help a little, but there's definitely still some play. Like if I'm in gear I can shake the shifter forward/backward and side/side a little. Is there any way to tighten that feeling up?

·
Mech. Eng. Tech.
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the condition of your shifter cables, that's where I'd start.
Ok thanks. I read about cable bushings for the transmission side, might pick some up.

Get a K-Tuned or Hybrid Racing short shifter.
...thanks. Yeah I'll just throw out the one I installed yesterday and spend an extra $450. Genius! :shakehead

·
Premium Member
23,895 Posts
The Revo is just a cheap add on. It will not change anything that would eliminate the sloppiness. That slopy feeling is in the cheap plastic OEM housing holding the ball, the light wound spring they have for shifting, and the factory cables.

You want to tighten that feeling up you need to buy the big boy products :) Shifter cables and a real short shifter assembly.

Just replacing the bushing to the metals ones won't eliminate the slop either. It helps with the feeling when you go into gear but not overall "slop"

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm going to install my Hybrid Racing shift cables and mtec spring tomorrow. I'll let you know how much this set up will reduce play in the stock shifter.
I hope my Hybrid Racing shifter ships out this week :x:

·
Mech. Eng. Tech.
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a little update. I kind of made an impulse buy and bought some aluminum shift cable bushings. Read into them more afterwards and thought I probably made a mistake...

However, good news: They are great! Now, the most likely reason is that the stock rubber ones are 12 years old, but regardless, feels nice. There is still play when in gear, but shifting through the gears is now much smoother and easier. It used to sort of "click, click," say, from first to neutral then second. Not that it made a sound but that's the feeling I had through the shifter. Now it's just one smooth move. I'm sure new OEM rubber would have had a similar effect but whatever, I'm quite happy with it all now.

Just waiting on the stupid boot adapter now :rolleyes:

·
I don't care
843 Posts
I have the revo with the aluminum bushings in the shifter base and on the linkage I also have mtec race springs. They helped but I still might invest in the jtc ss or hybrid racing

·
Stupid Long Manatees
5,695 Posts
I have the revo with the aluminum bushings in the shifter base and on the linkage I also have mtec race springs. They helped but I still might invest in the jtc ss or hybrid racing
Did you seriously just compare the JTC Short Shifter to the Hybrid Racing (and on that same level, Ktuned) Short Shifter?

LETS COMPARE!
JTC SHORT SHIFTER:
-Shortens Height
-Replaces ball and arm.
-Shortens Throw.
-90% Certain that its a rip off of Pspec.
-R/D Time? Probably about 5 hours.
-Cost to make? In bulk, about $30

Hybrid Racing Short Shifter.
-Adjustable Height
-Adjustable Throw
-Replaces entire shifter assembly
-Completely new approach to the spring style on RSX shifters
-R/D time >3 Months
-Cost to make? I'm guessing about 250-350.

Completely different levels here buddy.

G

·
Well, I get that you might not that does not mean it might not be an important part of the decision to everyone else.

I have no firsthand experience with either product, for the record.

·
I don't care
843 Posts
Did you seriously just compare the JTC Short Shifter to the Hybrid Racing (and on that same level, Ktuned) Short Shifter?

LETS COMPARE!
JTC SHORT SHIFTER:
-Shortens Height
-Replaces ball and arm.
-Shortens Throw.
-90% Certain that its a rip off of Pspec.
-R/D Time? Probably about 5 hours.
-Cost to make? In bulk, about $30

Hybrid Racing Short Shifter.
-Adjustable Height
-Adjustable Throw
-Replaces entire shifter assembly
-Completely new approach to the spring style on RSX shifters
-R/D time >3 Months
-Cost to make? I'm guessing about 250-350.

Completely different levels here buddy.
:stfu: seriously I never said I was "comparing" the two now did I? I know the hybrid racing or k tuned one is better. I'm not new to the "tuning" scene. My car is 11 years old and has 212k on it. Maybe I don't wanna put a shit ton of money into it. I'm 23 and have a 160k dollar house I have other priorities then spending 300+ on a ss shifter. I don't race I just cruise around and have fun with the car.

G

·
Do with this what you will: I have had the (long-discontinued...) P-SPEC shifter in my car for about five years, now. Love it, cannot imagine how the shifter could feel any "better" than it does now. I believe the JTC-one is a clone of the P-SPEC but have never put eyes on one, personally, so couldn't comment. It appears that the other shifter being discussed here is 2.5X the price of this JTC one. Assuming the JTC handles anything like my P-SPEC, I cannot see how it would handle "2.5X" better but again, I do not buy for bling/brand-value, so?....

One thing I will say is that if you want a severely shortened shifter, where it is a lot lower than stock, then it might make more sense to buy the Hybrid Racing one since it appears to have a much greater range of articulation than the P-SPEC design. I personally wanted a tightened, more positive feel more than any change in shift knob height, so that would not be a benefit for me but I understand that some folks want a really low shift knob.

Just my 2-cents, accept or reject as you please.

·
I don't care
843 Posts
Do with this what you will: I have had the (long-discontinued...) P-SPEC shifter in my car for about five years, now. Love it, cannot imagine how the shifter could feel any "better" than it does now. I believe the JTC-one is a clone of the P-SPEC but have never put eyes on one, personally, so couldn't comment. It appears that the other shifter being discussed here is 2.5X the price of this JTC one. Assuming the JTC handles anything like my P-SPEC, I cannot see how it would handle "2.5X" better but again, I do not buy for bling/brand-value, so?....

One thing I will say is that if you want a severely shortened shifter, where it is a lot lower than stock, then it might make more sense to buy the Hybrid Racing one since it appears to have a much greater range of articulation than the P-SPEC design. I personally wanted a tightened, more positive feel more than any change in shift knob height, so that would not be a benefit for me but I understand that some folks want a really low shift knob.

Just my 2-cents, accept or reject as you please.
Thanks for that post. I'm willing to try the jtc because of the price. And I've heard good things about it even though its a replica. And thanks again for the more positive response

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.