Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suprisingly I didn't find a thread like this. When do the brakes usually need to be changed on average? I'm at 37,000 miles and to my knowledge they havent been changed unless by the previous owner. They are squeaking, not hideiously or 100% of the time, but enough to be noticeable. Maybe it's time to do a brake job?

I know I'd answer my own question by going out and looking at the brake pads + rotors, but im in class right now, not listening to a word my teacher is saying :)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
squeaking is the first sign... its in the design to let you know it's getting time to change (at least the pads) and if not, then both. :thumbsup:

the noise will only get worse...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yeah noise is likly the first sign they are starting to wear, but the only way to know for sure is to go out and measure the pad thickness. Squeaking could just be they are in need of servicing

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked them out. Theyre only slightly more worn than my rears... I've probably got a couple thousand more miles left before i need to act on it. I'll probably get some Hawk pads through crsx.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Yeah, when I need to do my pads, I'll get the hawk pads, and I'll change the lines, as well. I was just wondering, are the hawk pads safe enough to use on the stock rotors? Some pads can damage the rotors. Also, do rotors need to be serviced/changed at only 30k or so?

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, when I need to do my pads, I'll get the hawk pads, and I'll change the lines, as well. I was just wondering, are the hawk pads safe enough to use on the stock rotors? Some pads can damage the rotors. Also, do rotors need to be serviced/changed at only 30k or so?
Good questions i'd like to know the same...

·
thats what she said..
74 Posts
ya my brakes just started squeaking as well friends said it could be brake dust but still squeaked after power washing especially when it gets hot

·
Awww Yeah...
4,217 Posts
pull the pads and check em. Glad I did at the beginning of this yr. for the first change I let some shop do the job and I think they put some really shitty pads on. They would overheat much faster than the factory set, plus the damn things didn't even give me a wear indication when they got low ( only sign was brake performance would go south after 10 min of normal driving). I put the oem pads on myself this time and haven't had an ounce of trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts