Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so my motor jumped timing this morning, so i will be needing to replace my timing chain and its components.

I have a few questions regarding this.

1. Are timing chain kits such as http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2561416&cc=1432639&jsn=394 this one okay?

2. Is it best to go all OEM as far as water pump, timing chain, guides, water pump, or is it safe to go aftermarket? The reason i ask is because i can get a whole kit such as the one listed above for around $150 where if i go with OEM parts, the chain alone is close to the price of the whole kit.

3. Is it easier to pull the motor to do this job? From what I have read it is very difficult to do it in the car. My clutch seems to be on its way out as well so if i did pull the motor/trans i would be knocking out two birds with one stone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I did some searching but couldn't come across much as far as the brand of chains people use.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I personally won't cheap out on timing chain.
While I have not seen first hand of cheap new chains being defective out of box, I have seen lots of people talk about it.
I would say guides are better OEM as well.
For me, the only part I would cheap out on was water pump. I got a Gates pump instead of OEM.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did this last year, I only replaced the chain, tensioner, and top guide (I used oem). I didnt pull the motor, it wasnt too hard. My motor was only at 100k so the guides were in good condition still (I replaced the top one with the wider k20z1 guide just because). The job isnt too bad if you take the abs box out, take the motor mount out, and have a jack supporting the engine so you can raise and lower it. You'll need as much room as possible to get all the chain case bolts. The trickiest part is getting the harmonic balancer bolt out; if it has never been removed it will be insanely tight.

·
noobs
13 Posts
I did this last year, I only replaced the chain, tensioner, and top guide (I used oem). I didnt pull the motor, it wasnt too hard. My motor was only at 100k so the guides were in good condition still (I replaced the top one with the wider k20z1 guide just because). The job isnt too bad if you take the abs box out, take the motor mount out, and have a jack supporting the engine so you can raise and lower it. You'll need as much room as possible to get all the chain case bolts. The trickiest part is getting the harmonic balancer bolt out; if it has never been removed it will be insanely tight.
Would you recommend doing this as part of maintenance or just wait for it to fail? My mechanic quoted me 5 hrs. It seems doable but at the same time still hesitant to do this project.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Would you recommend doing this as part of maintenance or just wait for it to fail? My mechanic quoted me 5 hrs. It seems doable but at the same time still hesitant to do this project.
Probably something you shouldnt wait on till it fails, but then again, my car had been sitting in my neighbors yard for 3 years cause the tensioner went out and he assumed the motor was destroyed. It worked perfectly with a new chain and tensioner, so it probably wouldnt be the end of the world if you waited.

It's totally do-able in a weekend if you're mechanically inclined have the special tool to lock the cams and the tool to take the harmonic balancer bolt out. I had to take it to a local shop to loosen the balancer bolt (It took around 250 ft lb of force to loosen), and I didnt have the cam locking tool so I had to have a friend hold them in place while I put the new chain on. The whole project took me a week, but I had never done a timing chain before.

It's a time consuming project cause you have to bleed the brakes once the abs box goes back in, and you have to wait for the hondabond to cure once the chain case is on.

·
noobs
13 Posts
Probably something you shouldnt wait on till it fails, but then again, my car had been sitting in my neighbors yard for 3 years cause the tensioner went out and he assumed the motor was destroyed. It worked perfectly with a new chain and tensioner, so it probably wouldnt be the end of the world if you waited.

It's totally do-able in a weekend if you're mechanically inclined have the special tool to lock the cams and the tool to take the harmonic balancer bolt out. I had to take it to a local shop to loosen the balancer bolt (It took around 250 ft lb of force to loosen), and I didnt have the cam locking tool so I had to have a friend hold them in place while I put the new chain on. The whole project took me a week, but I had never done a timing chain before.

It's a time consuming project cause you have to bleed the brakes once the abs box goes back in, and you have to wait for the hondabond to cure once the chain case is on.
What if I just do the tensioner first? I don't need to remove the timing chain case if I just do the tensioner?

·
Registered
68 Posts
What if I just do the tensioner first? I don't need to remove the timing chain case if I just do the tensioner?
No you dont have to, theres an access cover for the tensioner. I recommend doing the chain though cause the one that came out of my car was really stretched compared to the new one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts