Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my windows tinted (20% on sides, limo on rear). The tinter guy told me beforehand that the dot matrix would probably cause some problems. The side tints turned out perfect as did the majority of the back except for the dot matrix. There's random patches of white and it looks pretty bad. I'll post pics later. I watched the guy do it, all he did was tint over it, nothing else, I guess that's what u get for a 120 dollar tint. Anyways, now that the damage is done, what should I do? I was thinking about either going back and having him cut out the dot matrix tint and put black vinyl on the inside, or just put a layer of black vinyl on the outside (I dont like this idea because the vinyl isnt shiny and glossy like the rest of the window). Another possibility is to just take out the whole rear tint, apply vinyl to dot matrix, then tint over it. The last choice is to stop bitching and deal with it. But I'm a perfectionist so i dont think i can do that. Anyone with other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I just want yall opinion on the situation. I tried searching but no one else was really in the same situation. Thanks

·
ClubRSX Chef
31 Posts
I saw mad RSX's with the same problem until I found this one place in NJ that does it, computer printed and cut, and the had a solution to the dot matrix, at least it seems to be workin so far. So I went to this place on wednesday last week, I had no where else to go so I just watched the guy do it...took about 2 hours, but for precaution, he waited here and there just to see if any bubbles would pop up. For the dot matrix, they had a liquid solution that he put on it, acting to fill in the spots where the dot matrix is not present so that the window film would stick flat. So far it looks good compared to anyone's tinting I've seen. I paid $135 for my back three at 20%. It was definitely worth it! If you're around the area, the site is called, www.samswindowtinting.com

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had this same problem on my last car (haven't tinted the rsx yet). Anyway, what I did was to apply a small amount of heat with a heat gun on the outside of the window. Then on the inside I used a credit card like a squeegee and woked almost all the bubbles out. Worked well and I never had a problem after that. If you do this becareful not to overheat the window and not to scratch the tint while you are working the bubbles out. My only other suggestion would be to put the vinyl strip on the inside over the dot matrix like you mentioned. I don't like it on the outside.

·
Registered
435 Posts
GoTrSx56 said:
i payed $120 and it was a great job...for the dot matrix all he did was spray paint it back...
Did your tint shop use spray-on window tint? Or did they just simply spray paint it???? I really hope it was the first.

·
Banned
9,529 Posts
lol but i got robbed - 220 for everything 20% except windshield

·
Canon Crew
12,127 Posts
Mine is like Just2Smooth's....looks fine, no probs so far. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I had a black vinyl strip put on my dot matrix from the inside, it looks great

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had a black vinyl strip put on my dot matrix from the inside, it looks great
same here , the professionals from my tint shop said that's look the greatest

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I had a strip on the outside over the dot matrix and it looked really good for awhile .. but now it looks terrible it's kinda splotchy and reddish dots. it's wierd but i'm gonna take it off and just have the dot matrix show i guess

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
it happens because of the space in between the 'dots' w/e, i've actually never seen a 'perfect' one where it's consistent all around. i'm sure it's possible through different methods, but at the tinting shop i was at, it was inconsistent cuz it was somewhat old school.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts