Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I called Vortech Engineering today and it turns out they won't be making a supercharger kit for our car as of right now. They don't have plans for one yet, but that in a year or so they would look into developing one. As you all probably know, their S2000 kit makes like 96hp more than stock to the wheels (299whp vs. 203whp according to Sport Compact Car April 2003), which is pretty awesome. I was thinking that the similarities between the F20C (S2000) and the K20A engines would make adapting an S2000 kit to fit our cars something to consider.

I think this is a better alternative to the Jackson Racing Supercharger because you have the ability to use an intercooler/aftercooler, since they use the snail type compressor. The power possibilities are much higher with this design vs. roots type blowers.

So do you guys think this is a feasible idea? Custom piping will be needed, and choosing the best way to tune the A/F ratio and stuff will take some research. Any suggestions on the best way to do that?

How similar are the designs of the pulley systems on the F20C and the K20A? Mounting up the S/C to the engine block, and then attaching the pulley is going to be the biggest obstacle if the two cars are different

Am I reaching too far on this one, or do you guys see the posibilities in a setup such as this. I am not going with a turbo system, so don't tell me to just get a turbo.

Thanks

L

·
0 Posts
i dont think it will work. but then again, they were able to put an NSX-R motor into a Civic HB. so it seems anything is possible as long as money is not problem.

The ONE

W

·
0 Posts
no space

The thing is, there is no space near enough or easy enough to run a belt or a rod to run the vortech.. maybe you can do a procharger setup and put the charger around the front of the wheel well like the procharger unit on the 99-00 Si as seen here

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like how that procharger setup looks. I think I just figured out how to do this thing.

Whoopass: where did you get that picture from, and are there any more pictures. I guess I can go to the Procharger website and see what they have.

I will let everybody know what happens if I try this thing. I have a rebuilt Vortech unit already so it makes sense for me to at least research the possibility of using it before I go spend $4000 on Jackson Racing S/C or go Turbo.

·
It tastes like BURNING!!!
1,359 Posts
Actually, that sounds like a pretty good idea! Keep us posted on how it develops. I'd be curious to see....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoopass, thanks for that link. I am calling procharger today to see what the possibilities would be. It is like a sleeper setup, since all you would see from the top of the engine would be a pipe coming from down where the CAI is now to the throttle body. Does anybody have a shop manual picture/diagram of the pulley system on the RSX Type S? I was thinking of doing some measurments today to see where I have room around the passenger side pulley area (down low like the procharger setup) so I can figure out where I could mount a bracket with which to mount the SC and be in line with the pulley system. Any suggestions on where to tap into the pulley system. I was thinking right between the alternator and the AC pump.

Motab: thanks, I just have this Vortch unit here and was thinking "WTF" why not see what the possibilities are. This kind of supercharger has much better high end boost, similar to a turbo, but with much less lag since it is off the drive belt.

I will keep everyone posted, and I will be talking to Procharger and Vortech today.

Any skematics of the engine area, maybe with clearances would be awesome. I will be investing in a repair book (Helms I think) and will have this bitch planned out by the end of this weekend.

Paul

·
Registered
81 Posts
That is one sweet ass setup. How much.

C

·
0 Posts
so do you plan on buying a kit, or buying seperate parts and then pieceing it together?

i forsee a lot of fabrication and headache in the near furture.. but it will undoubtedly be sweet! at least you guys have a fuel controller option.. seems nothing agrees with the celica ecu..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is the company that makes the books for the dealers.
www.helminc.com or call them 1-800-782-4356.
I bought a repair manual from them for $75 bucks. they will sell to anybody. Good luck on that. I have looked into that and called vortech and they told me that their is not enough room and that they are not going to make a kit for it would require cutting the body and they are against that. But if you can plumb it, the only major problem I see you have is the ecu. Check with cybernation to see if their blak magic would work with that system. They are the only ones that have figured out the ecu and getting the engine to run with out any engine lights.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to purchase the manual, and then do some measuring to see if there is enough room to do this. I am thinking of running a setup like the Integra's with the long bar from the pulley to the other side of the engine where there is room. I don't know if this is going to work though. I will have to do alot of imaginative things to get this setup to work, but I am not going to give up yet. I already have the S/C so I might as well try to use it right? Thanks for your input guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts