Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Can't believe it's been ten years since I got my 2004 Type S, and a good many years since I spent most of my disposable time here....

Anyway, I need tires to replace the 10 year old 225/45 R17 Falken Azenis RT615s that never really made me happy in the first place. I rarely drive the RSX these days (just 25k miles on it!) and haven't gone to the drag-strip in a while. But when I do take the car out, I would like traction.

Sooo..., what all do you guys recommend these days for CTSC car with about 290 at the weeks and 200 pounds of torque?

·
mod bug got me
564 Posts
I run bfgoodrich g-force sport comp-2 245/40/17 on my summer wheels and it hooks in second gear. I'm at 310/228 so just a bit more power than you so I would highly recommend these. Plus the tread life is above 300 so they will last longer than those Azenis. Of course if you are not looking for a pure summer tire I run the continental dws all season when it gets cold here in NY. Both are great options.

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts
damn it it's good to see you around conrad, how have you been?

i probably won't be much help, since for daily driving tires i always get something cheap/higher mileage-lower traction, like kumho ecsta (pa31?)

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are things a lot more quiet around here these days?

Agent Smith!!! Good to hear from you. I've been doing great, but life got busy. Got married, got heavily into scuba (and even wrote a book on it), my business took off, and so on. So I kept the RSX, but stopped racing after the tight belt ripped the alternator right off the block during a burn-out.

I hope things have been going well for you also. I need to stop by here more often to see who of the old 2003-2006 gang is still around.

Fight'n 3rd. Thanks for the tip. Like your handle -- like you I am constantly fighting for traction. As is, with the Azenis (which by now may be hard as a rock) I am spinning wheels all through 2nd and into 3rd. I am not much concerned about tread life since I don't drive the car much at all. Do you have an opinion on the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival?

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts

Agent Smith!!! Good to hear from you. I've been doing great, but life got busy. Got married, got heavily into scuba (and even wrote a book on it), my business took off, and so on. So I kept the RSX, but stopped racing after the tight belt ripped the alternator right off the block during a burn-out.

I hope things have been going well for you also. I need to stop by here more often to see who of the old 2003-2006 gang is still around.
none of the regulars from that time are still around. mateo drops by occasionally, and i believe razathorn still posts in his regional chat. there may be a couple others, but i can't think of any. there's really not even enough activity in the supercharged subforum for any real drama to start like we constantly had in the mid 2000s lol. i guess you were all too familiar with that since you were one of the supercharged mods during the biggest issue. anyway, glad to hear things are going well.

·
mod bug got me
564 Posts

Fight'n 3rd. Thanks for the tip. Like your handle -- like you I am constantly fighting for traction. As is, with the Azenis (which by now may be hard as a rock) I am spinning wheels all through 2nd and into 3rd. I am not much concerned about tread life since I don't drive the car much at all. Do you have an opinion on the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival?
I've never had a set of rivals So I can't really give an opinion on them. If you don't care about tread wear then pick up a set of dunlop direzza star specs. Just fyi the sidewall is very large and a 235 starspec looks very similar to my 245 bfgoodrich. They are basically like drag radials and very sticky. Also look into the hankook rs3's. They are the cheaper option but I have seen lots of people praise them for autocross.

·
+ Displacement
599 Posts

Since 2005, I went through Yokohama S-drive(not bad, quiet at first but once its worn, its noisy), Hankook Ventus V12(probably the best of the bunch), BFgoodrich(not bad either).

currently on the cheapest tires I can find which is Champro GT. burn the crap out of them on the K24 and just about to move into Continental DWS.

For street and 290-350. You want something cheap, if you get something sticky, could break tranny parts in the long run.

I am at around 350HP, K24 frank, JRSC with aftercooler and Meth injection. So, NO tranny parts breakin.:fistbump:

I know that Dunlop Direzza is real sticky.

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts
damn, missed another one... how's it going phil? it's phil ain't it? been so long, lol. maybe we can get lancem to post next since his wife is still around.

-Lance

·
Banned
31,134 Posts
If you want to do it right, get a set of 15x7 Team Dynamics, with some 235/60/15 M&H racemasters.
At your power level, you'd dead hook even in first gear. Plus, you get to keep your street tires for every day use... and just swap to these other wheels when you are going to the drag strip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts