Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there everyone,

i have been around this board for a little while now and have read all the posts i can find on turbo'ing the RSX. Is it just me or is the information on these posts all over the map??

I will read a series of good posts and get excited and start mentally committing to installing a turbo and then i will read a couple bad posts and get discouraged.

I mainly need to know the following:

1) If i run CN stage 1 will the life of my motor suffer at like 7psi??
2) is greddy or sfp any less harsh on the engine?
3) I am not an expert on motors and i dont want to constantly have to fix stuff. Should i not turbo my RSX then??
4) I have seriously been considering buying an EVO since it is already fast as hell out of the box....should i just dump the RSX and move to the EVO? Has anyone done that and if so what has your experience been like?? Would you do it again?

comments/input please.

I am so damn confused....

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
1. Yes. Just about anytime you mod a motor (add more power) engine life will suffer because of more stress caused on various parts of your engine/drivetrain. However, you can always upgrade part of your car to handle more power. (clutch/flywheel/sleeved block ,etc)

2. Which turbo you use is not really going to matter the thing that will matter is size and amount of PSI.

3. Any F/I is going to always take constant tuning and constant monitoring of various gauges. Stuff like oil will be need to changed EVERY 3,000 miles. There is much more maintenence and things you need to watch for when going f/i, this is especially true when u r adding f/i to a originally n/a motor.

4. Scotty Yamaha traded his supercharged RSX for the Evo. Do a search under his name for threads started and you will find it. The Evo is better in every possible way related to performance. I almost traded my RSX for one but i just hate the fact it looks basically just like a regular Lancer and I dont care for the interior. The Evo was the best handling car I have ever driven in my life. I also dont care for Sedans (4 doors) I like the sporty look of the RSX.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. I need to not turbo the RSX then because I am not into constant tweaking and tweazing.... I want it to just run like crazy and not have to worry about it. The only thing keeping me from trading to the EVO is exactly what you said, the interior isnt that great ..... but maybe i can get a carbon fiber interior kit and get a bitchin stereo system and it will look better... hmmmm.... decisions decisions....

anyone else have input?

·
6,734 Posts
I don't like tweaking either. That is why I run what I run. 7psi of instant boost is crazy fast. You want reliability with zero maintenance the JRSC is the thing. Traction is an issue if you do contstant clutch dumps, but for daily driving it is a blast.

·
twoplustwo
3,172 Posts
wdsonny said:
I don't like tweaking either. That is why I run what I run. 7psi of instant boost is crazy fast. You want reliability with zero maintenance the JRSC is the thing. Traction is an issue if you do contstant clutch dumps, but for daily driving it is a blast.

:iamwiths: ....

This is one of the main reasons I decided to get the JRSC because there is little maintence. Just install and go :driving:

·
Registered
107 Posts
lanman2000 said:
hey there everyone,

i have been around this board for a little while now and have read all the posts i can find on turbo'ing the RSX. Is it just me or is the information on these posts all over the map??

I will read a series of good posts and get excited and start mentally committing to installing a turbo and then i will read a couple bad posts and get discouraged.

I mainly need to know the following:

1) If i run CN stage 1 will the life of my motor suffer at like 7psi??
2) is greddy or sfp any less harsh on the engine?
3) I am not an expert on motors and i dont want to constantly have to fix stuff. Should i not turbo my RSX then??
4) I have seriously been considering buying an EVO since it is already fast as hell out of the box....should i just dump the RSX and move to the EVO? Has anyone done that and if so what has your experience been like?? Would you do it again?

comments/input please.

I am so damn confused....
I traded my RSX TypeS for an EVO in January. I purshased a used EVO for $25,500. I would say get an EVO if you want an engine that was designed for a turbo. The EVO engine has been around for TEN years and will last for a longtime.

EVO modded for 25K

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60440

So far I have put $1200 into my EVO and have 300WHP with 300 pounds of torque. That is 60WHP gain from stock. Car with my mods are running 12.5 to 12.9 with a turboback exaust,boost controller, Intake

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Products/Evo8Index-US.shtml

My car currently is running at 21PSI and I have 310WHP and a 12 second car.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but i want the BOV sound !!! hehe

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
1) the internals can handle 7psi on cn1 just fine. in the long run, any f/i will wear out your internals (i.e lose compression, weaker valves, weaker piston rings). how long is "long run"? i can't really answer that...it could be a few years to many years.

2)all f/i is the same, your car will last longer or handle any turbo as long as you have the internals to handle the psi you are boosting. not to mention your turbo needs to be tuned. anyone can slap a turbo on to a car and it will run faster, but tuning your ecu is the main key to avoid lean a/f ratios and thereby preventing quick, serious damage to your engine.

3)yup, unavoidable. need to change oil more, check compression, tires wear out faster, change spark plugs more, clutch wear, must monitor a/f ratios more frequently and adjust them as needed

4)who cares what other people do. do what you want to do. if you want to go turbo, then do it. if you dont, then dont

·
I Don't Even
9,180 Posts
jnavarro said:
1)
3)yup, unavoidable. need to change oil more, check compression, tires wear out faster, change spark plugs more, clutch wear, must monitor a/f ratios more frequently and adjust them as needed

Quick question: How can you check you compression? and if you loose compression..i thought turbo's benefit from lower compressions? :dontknow:

·
Honda4Ever
7,580 Posts
You're a lot like me so here is my take.

Jackson Racing Supercharger with pulley upgrade K-pro ecu and 50 shot of nitrous.

The K-Pro will handle EVERYTHING. All you do is bolt it all on and take it for a drive. YOU MUST set it up properly though so I recommend professional installation.

The only thing you'll have to do with the SC is check the belts (very easy) and change your oil every 3k. spark plugs are a joke to change if you have to. The rest is history.

Upgrade your tranny, get clutch, fly, lsd minimum. I would also suggest either Type-R final drive (4.7) or ATS final drive (5.0) for quicker acceleration. Not necessary though.

You'll be running 12's with this setup.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
rEDlinEDc5 said:
jnavarro said:
1)

Quick question: How can you check you compression? and if you loose compression..i thought turbo's benefit from lower compressions? :dontknow:

im sorry. i meant to say you lose some compresssion over time. yes, some turbos have lower compression piston (i.e. 8.5, 9.0...etc), but over time you will start to lose compression. you use a device, that you can buy at sears, to check your compression.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts