Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, I did search I promise. All I came up with were for sale threads.
Im just trying to educate myself a little bit and clubrsx is awesome with info.

Aside from the obvious "different metal" that I'm sure someone would post on here if I didn't say this, what are the differences/pros/cons for the steel and titanium retainers?

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,225 Posts
depends on what you are looking for.

the advantage of titanium retainers is the weight reduction which can allow for higher rpms due to lower mass being moved by the rocker arms

one potential problem is wearing or 'galling' of the titanium retainers due to the steel valve springs, which is a harder metal, rubbing on the retainers. it's happened where the retainer wears enough to allow the valve stem to break free and grenade the motor. search for 'dropped valve'.

unless you have a set-up that allows for power to be made in the 9000+ rpms band, I wouldn't bother. I have stage 2 cams, aftermarket valve springs mated with the stock retainers and keepers and rev to 8600 with no problems at all. just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aftermarket. Over the next few months I'm doing a little top end build w/ stage 2 cams most likely and I noticed that most companies offer ti-retainers but there are a few of steel in the crsx store. Just trying to find out why.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
depends on what you are looking for.

the advantage of titanium retainers is the weight reduction which can allow for higher rpms due to lower mass being moved by the rocker arms

one potential problem is wearing or 'galling' of the titanium retainers due to the steel valve springs, which is a harder metal, rubbing on the retainers. it's happened where the retainer wears enough to allow the valve stem to break free and grenade the motor. search for 'dropped valve'.

unless you have a set-up that allows for power to be made in the 9000+ rpms band, I wouldn't bother. I have stage 2 cams, aftermarket valve springs mated with the stock retainers and keepers and rev to 8600 with no problems at all. just my opinion.
Thats exactly the type of stuff I was looking for:thumbsup::bow:

any recomendations on which company I should go with? I'm not lookin to be baller status or anything:rolleyes: but i'm not looking for the cheapest either. I was originally planning on giving skunk2 a chance with everything but thank god for this website. Apparently aside for TCT issues which i was ready to upgrade that and deal with it, the cam lobes eat themselves and now I know ti-retainers are not necessary and can cause problems.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
IPS K2 cams are popular
That's what I've been reading over the past couple days. I'll probably go with those since I havn't found anything negative said. Supposedly has a good midrange which won't hurt at all:) I think those would be considered baller status though lol. They are almost double in price of all the other cams out there. How about recs on the supporting vavletrain to pair it up with?

·
i got killer fish
1,318 Posts
Thats exactly the type of stuff I was looking for:thumbsup::bow:

any recomendations on which company I should go with? I'm not lookin to be baller status or anything:rolleyes: but i'm not looking for the cheapest either. I was originally planning on giving skunk2 a chance with everything but thank god for this website. Apparently aside for TCT issues which i was ready to upgrade that and deal with it, the cam lobes eat themselves and now I know ti-retainers are not necessary and can cause problems.
i got the skunk2 proseries valves, springs and ti retainer combo in my head and its worked perfect thus far for many many miles...as far as the cams go u cant go wrong with anything from ips:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok based on that stuff i probably will go with just the oem retainers and sk2 pro springs and valves. i dont know what it is but their advertising makes it like all their stuff has been blessed by a tibetan monk and forged from pure crystal from the deepest, most secret place on earth.:dontknow:

·
I WILL DESTROY YOU!
2,176 Posts
The Ferrea "bee hive" style valve springs are supposedly really good. Apparently they give you all of the benefits of a dual valve spring package with none of the reliability issues.

·
k > b
1,010 Posts
i've been using supertech titanium retainers for over a year without any problems thus far. my car is daily driven btw.

::knocks on wood::

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah those beehive springs just came out not too long ago right? has anybody actually tried them yet? just wondering b/c they do sound good but theres gotta be something that makes ppl still buy the duals

i put about 100mi a day on my car so definately need longevity no doubt..
as far as ti retainers being wore down faster than steel, does the smae concept apply to ti vs. steel valves?

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
OMG DC5
7,012 Posts
Sorry guys, I did search I promise. All I came up with were for sale threads.
Im just trying to educate myself a little bit and clubrsx is awesome with info.

Aside from the obvious "different metal" that I'm sure someone would post on here if I didn't say this, what are the differences/pros/cons for the steel and titanium retainers?
titanium is better if you have stage 3 cams

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's some info on the Steel vs. Ti issue in this thread, and also some general info about some of the different retainers that are available, and of course lots of opinions about what to use:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=625019&highlight=Retainer

:weeeeeeeeee:
wow thanks for chiming in with that. not sure why none of my search attempts pulled that up but whatever:dontknow:

ok so far out of my searching im going to bite down and do ips k2 and most likely now going to try out the ferrea beehive/retainer/seat kit since i havn't come across anyone who has used it yet. i just cant tell if the retainers are steel or ti- it doesn't specify (anyone know?). also as far as valves go, for a dd that will see a track 1-3 times a year at the most, is it better to go ti- or steel?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Titanium has low weight,its density is 4.51g/cm3,but its tensile strength can reach to higher than 1000Mpa,it can save weight for the auto engine and output high performance.
We are from Baoji HOSN Titanium Co., Ltd,we are specialized with our titanium retainers production.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts