Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This question goes out to those who had a RSX (or something with similar mileage) that purchased a TSX or TL....

Im currently looking to sell my RSX-S due to various reasons (found out it was in a accident, many repairs starting to come up, tired of standard driving, car is to small for me, and i need 4 doors) - But i LOVE the car... Still think its a great sports coupe

Im looking to get a TL or TSX, ive driven them both, but still cant decide which one i like more...

Option 1 - TSX
I like the TSX because it feels almost exactly like our car with softer suspension.. It also has great gas mileage (like our car)... But i dont know if i want to spend all this money to get something that feels so similar. For me, it would have everything i currently have PLUS everything i want

Option 2- TL
Driving this thing was like sitting on my lazy boy sofa equipped with rocket launchers... I loved the experience/feel it gave, plus the extra room was great.. Needless to say, this car also fills all my 'needs'

To get a idea of repair costs......
Called the Acura parts department, costs about 1550 for TSX suspension, and 667 for TL suspension. I asked for a few more quotes and the TSX seemed more expensive for part repair... When i asked why, they said it is the 'sportiness'

Other things to consider....
-I can get a used TSX in my budget with about 40-60,000KM OR a used TL in the same price range with about 70-80,000KM....

-Im just looking for a long-term car that wont be expensive to 'upkeep' - this is why i ask about mileage and repair costs... the fact that the TL seems cheaper to repair is surprising to me. AT the same time, the TL would have about 20,000 more KM, which would mean i have to repair it sooner

-Im 6'5, so both cars are fine on room, TL is better for passangers though

-Can anyone comment on the gas mileage between the RSX and the TL? Noticable difference? Ive seen the mileage from fueleconomy.gov but i wanted personal opinions...

Ive never been so confused... when i test drove cars for my first purchase i KNEW i wanted the RSX... this time, i keep weighing the different options

·
PC Load Letter?
8,345 Posts
I dunno, whenever I take my car in for service and they give me a loaner TSX I always feel so disappointed. It's like it kinda wants to be the RSX, but it just isn't.

The TL I feel is more of a mix between the too - with some extra room. I'd def go with the TL.

And TL Type-S FTW

·
Registered
113 Posts
Go TL or TL Type-S. I've had the TSX loaner car on several occassions. Great car, I like it alot, but if I'm gonna go the 4 door route, I'm going with the TL. Fast, comfortable, roomy, and the navigation system is sick on that thing. The Type-$ is gonna be $$$, so if you can afford that, you might want to consider a used m3. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
I would go with the TL over the TSX ne day...

regardless...i dont know what repairs need to be done on a Honda?

besides regular oil change and maintainance it should be virtually bullet proof

Looks like your talking used... so idk why people keep throwing in the price of the new TL Type S into the equation

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
yeah people read this guys post... he needs something used in his price range and is considering repair costs and gas mileage...

I dunno man, thats a tough one. I personally like the looks of the tsx a smidge better... the speed of the TL is much better tho... both have navi (dunno if its in one that you were lookin at or not)

I'd probably research what it takes to make the TSX a lil quicker but still reliable (I think you can get hondata for it :dontknow: ) and go from there... I'd def. say TSX if it were just a smidge faster...

Either way I'd probably have to put a factory lip kit on...

so in conclusion, I'm just as confused as you and absolutely no help :laughing:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was able to test drive the acura vehicles out in a track along with ACURA professional drivers that flew in here.
It was such a great experience... anyways. ..

I'd get a TL over a TSX.
-A lot more power than the TSX. -Luxurious yet still feel the power
-Roomy

I just can't find the exact words... but yeah in all the models that I test drove
TL, RL and MDX... is what I like.....

The RDX wasn't as what I expected it to be even with a Turbo on it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've had a loaner TL and was pretty let down. My mother has an Infiniti M45. (direct competitor, well M35 is)
The Infiniti, in my opinion, is 10000000x times better, way more fun to drive, and lots of cool tech stuff the Acura lacks. (My mom liked the car so much she traded in her twice as expensive Cayenne TT for it)
It hasn't been in the for service once (except oil changes) yet. 8000 miles.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the posts... (especially the people that read my choices)

TL-S is nice, yes.. but way out of my budget... If i had that much money i wouldnt even be considering choices

So far it looks like ill be getting a 2004 white TSX with 45,000KM for about 5 grand cheaper then any TL out there (and 40,000KM less)...

Personally, i think about the TL more, but maybe ill get that when im older (im already 6 grand out of my budget, so buying a TL would make me 11 grand over)

TSX feels like the sedan RSX... so im a happy camper

Ill keep ya updated

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
^ I agree with you. It's not worth it right now to go over so much money on a car. It'd be smarter to put it towards something more important in my opinion.

Splurging on cars is for later down the road :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
id get the rdx. its big, its roomy, AWD....BOOST! nuff said
i definatly agree it is conforatble as hell to drive has... power for a sedan

but if you looking for a car tl-s ftw....gotta have some power behind the luxury and tl-s has it.... i work at acura i drive them all the time
but then again their are alot of other cars you can get for the price of these

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
TSX is junk in my opinion, its needs more Tang in it. I think moving from a RSX is the same, cuz its still K20 motor! if your still a boy racer and want to shift, I guess TSX. TL is the way to go. its got V6 and rides real smooth.
No it doesnt... it has a K series... but its 24 not 20 :thumbsup:

anyway...

The TL is more of an older persons car... Not old... but middle aged. The TSX is more of a late 20's early 30's car...

Get the TSX and do some performance mods to it. plus white TSX = :drool:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a TL 6 speed with Brembos, I found that it was twisting itself into knots on backroads and the FWD is too much for the engine. Torque steer even with the LSD it has. It is not meant to be driven on a twisty road.....Great car for open road cruising, but thats it. In fact the RSX, feels much more stable above 90 that the TL. Maybe the TL-S is better now. I make runs on I-79 in Wva, itsa great interstate that you can cruise at 100+ with all kinds of carving turns and elevation changes. The TL simply could not hold the road the way the RSX-S does. Too big and Too heavy. ITs not a sports car and for a sedan is a cruiser too. In summary......it was a boring, but luxurious, car, for me anyways.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have an RSX-S and traded my '04 TSX 6MT for my crrent RL. I had the TSX for 70XXX miles and nothing expensive to fix - a reliable car. The mT was smother than the RSX-S and was very sporty although not quick. 0-60 was 7.2 with no mods. A very comfortable car. TLs are everywhere - a TSX (mine had the body kit, too) is just so uncommon. My vote is for the TSX. A CAI and exhaust would help with acceleration - the current header is fine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.