Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a question for the longest time and i was wondering why you spend like $3500 on a supercharger and only make arond 250 h.p when you can go to Cn and buy the stage I kit for $4000 and have more h.p then that. Im not trying to hate or anything but just a lil question.

·
My butterfly bit me
1,344 Posts
not a bad question. ????? i know theres instant boost, easier install, more reliability and upgrades to come. Im seriously thinking about going with the JRSC race kit by the summer. but id like to hear why the owners picked it over turbos.

·
You really paid for that?
2,045 Posts
Something to say about reliablity, With a superchanger, you have to put more stress on the engine to turn the pulley and that is connected at all times, with Turbo you are not sending extra air into the motor at all time. HP is HP, no matter how you acheive, you are putting the same amount of stree on the motor. 250 NA 250 s/c or 250 turbo, is all putting the same amount of stress on a motor. Turbos are producing more HP therefore get the reputation of being less depenable.

·
Registered
417 Posts
DragRacerRSX said:
I have had a question for the longest time and i was wondering why you spend like $3500 on a supercharger and only make arond 250 h.p when you can go to Cn and buy the stage I kit for $4000 and have more h.p then that. Im not trying to hate or anything but just a lil question.
If you don't know how to tune a car, you probably shouldn't be driving a turbo'd car (aftermarket of course) if you're going for a lot of power. The JRSC kit is pretty much plug and play, so it's a lot less hassle than a turbo system. Turbo has the potential to make the most power, though, but a couple of missed steps or not watching your EGTs, and your car goes "boom!" Now, I'm not saying that turbos are unreliable, because they're very reliable provided you know what you're doing. You can screw up a JRSC'd car just as much as you could a turbo car. It's less likely to happen, though.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
A turbo is constant boost, constant stress on the engine. The JRSC has a bypass valve so you are only boosting when you are 80% throttle no matter the RPM. It also depends on the application. Turbo=Drag racing JRSC=Auto-X or Road Racing. They both put extra stress on the engine, just in different ways and each one has it's own benefits.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Steve Lloyd said:
A turbo is constant boost, constant stress on the engine. The JRSC has a bypass valve so you are only boosting when you are 80% throttle no matter the RPM. It also depends on the application. Turbo=Drag racing JRSC=Auto-X or Road Racing. They both put extra stress on the engine, just in different ways and each one has it's own benefits.

?????????????????????????????

Anyway, do some research on the roots style supercharger and you will understand the cost differences..There have been SIGNIFICANT advances in the supercharger that Jackson Racing develops over the years..These superchargers have amazing tolerances and machining..This R&D does not come cheap for them, let alone mass producing a supercharger kit..

Also understand that for the 3500.00, you are probably getting the RACE version of the Jackson kit for this vehicle, which comes w/a flashed Hondata ECU..Hondata and Jackson probably spend many, many hours on the dyno to produce an awesome map for this ECU to use for this kit..So, you can add up more hours of R&D there..

Then look at every single part that comes with this supercharger kit..You do not have to modify anything that is provided to you for the install (here's where a true bolt-on is actually true)..The parts that come with these kits are of very high quality, and are very well thought-out. The machining involved in the production of the entire kit should be applauded as well; very high quality :thumbsup:

As for the style of driving, there are some very successful drag racing vehicles that utilize the roots blower; traction control is going to be number one in your setup for hard launches with the almost instant boost the JR supercharger can provide..

Not to pick on the turbocharger, it is also amazing; I own a turbo vehicle, and will be turbocharging the Type S we've bought as well..But I've also owned supercharged vehicles as well. Its all in the tuning; these Jackson kits you've been reading about are only pushing 5 psi..

Just don't be so quick to play the who's better than who game when it comes to forced induction; they both have downfalls if not properly tuned..

·
Registered
340 Posts
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/blowers-and-howto.html

Here is a good article on some of the modifications that can be performed to a roots style supercharger system. Mind you, this article was geared towards a B-series Honda/Acura as far as injector and fuel pump stats go, but all in all, a great article..

Don't think that all you can get is what you buy; if you are willing to spend the money, these superchargers can be modified to accept high levels of boost..

This article was from Endyne; they've done many beneficial mods to these superchargers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Steve Lloyd said:
neither turbos or superchargers deliver constant boots. they both have bypass valves or wastegates which only deliver boost when the engine is under load or full throttle.

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
I went with the supercharger on my daily driver because of better drivability and because it is more consistant than a turbo for bracket racing which I do a lot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
jdub12 said:
neither turbos or superchargers deliver constant boots. they both have bypass valves or wastegates which only deliver boost when the engine is under load or full throttle.

haha, that was the reason for my question marks :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
jdub12 said:

The CN torbo'd RSX I drove was making boost at cruising speeds at 4000RPM. My car doesn't make boost even at 75ooRPM unless I've got my foot into it. If the car was operating improperly which caused me to make an incorrect statement, sorry, but that was the only Turbo'd RSX I've had experience with.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Steve Lloyd said:
The CN torbo'd RSX I drove was making boost at cruising speeds at 4000RPM. My car doesn't make boost even at 75ooRPM unless I've got my foot into it. If the car was operating improperly which caused me to make an incorrect statement, sorry, but that was the only Turbo'd RSX I've had experience with.

Its all about engine load for a turbo to boost..

·
Registered
115 Posts
im going with a custom turbo because i know i can tune it just for me. since i have confidence in tuning it i have no hesitations about turbo. it is true that its all about tuning with a turbo. you can run your car with minimal loss to life as long as you dont over stress it.

·
PIMPIN AINT EZ
155 Posts
I like the JRSC just because its street legal. Car is too new for me to be pulled over and get ticketed for just having turbo. Plus I want to be able to smog it without having to pay under the table every single time or taking off the turbo every single time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Steve Lloyd said:
Thank you for pointing that out and you are completely correct. When the engine is in part throttle/vacuum (which is like 90 percent of real-world driving) the SC puts almost no load on the engine.

Road racing is another story and you need to keep an eye on the engines vitals, particularly intake & oil temp, but I have seen MANY turbo engines blow up at the track. I have a great video somewhere of a turbo Miata barfing up a few con-rods at VIR last summer. I'll have to post it.

Anyhooo, It really comes down to personal taste and driving style. One isn't necessiairly better than the other although each have their strengths and weeknesses (and this F'in question never seems to go away)

My personal preference is for the great throttle response of a supercharged engine.

Mike

·
My butterfly bit me
1,344 Posts
ok good reasons guys. for the people with the race version. I cant have a race header and a cat right. so if i just went with another header non race my gains would most likely suck right. or be about 20 hp less ??

·
You really paid for that?
2,045 Posts
rSaTvEeVrE said:
So far nobody has blown up their engines with a supercharger.
Countless engines have blown from turbos.
Only reason i'm going with a supercharger.
I never did think it was possible to blow up a motor with only 240HP.

I have yet to see a S/C k20 put up decent numbers with out sparying

1 - 20 of 29 Posts