Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I would be able to put in a toda engine kit and then a JRSC later down the line when I acquire more money... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I think your best bet would be to sell your Toda cams when you decide to go FI b/c I don't think they'll give you much power over stock cams on an FI application. Plus you could put some of that money towards things you will need, like a clutch or lsd.

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
BlindOne said:
I was wondering if I would be able to put in a toda engine kit and then a JRSC later down the line when I acquire more money... Thanks.
I am sure you will see someone trying out that combination in the next few months.

·
Registered
506 Posts
the key to this will be the hondata k pro with a baseline map as a starting point

quite a challlenge to mix these 2 almost diametrically opposed approaches

but then sometimes u gotta leave all that theory behind :) to push the envelope

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
It'd be a really nice setup. Toda said that it was possible with the Spec A's, but definately not with the N+'s since their timing is advanced to much for F/I. With a hondata programmable you should be able to manage that setup quite well.

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
rsxmachine said:
according to Toda it has already been done with their Spec-A cams.
It has, in a limited way. The problem, and it was a nice problem, was that it flowed so much air, the boost level dropped from 5 to 3.8 pounds. Lots of additional fuel was needed and the 440s were not big enough. Much more testing was needed, but there was potential.

At the time the test was done, bigger injectors and smaller pulleys for more boost were not available. Nor did we have a boost mapped ECU, so the testing went no further. Next week I expect there to be all of these available.

Doug

·
Registered
506 Posts
looking forward to that r and d!

whilst the nitrous on top of the jrsc produced super power -i would prefer to buld in the power across the board with a s/c

theoretically this will produce more power than a stand alone jrsc one would expect and maybe the best upgrade path for toda spec a users

keep up the good work doug-thers always a new challenge!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hondata said:
It has, in a limited way. The problem, and it was a nice problem, was that it flowed so much air, the boost level dropped from 5 to 3.8 pounds. Lots of additional fuel was needed and the 440s were not big enough. Much more testing was needed, but there was potential.

At the time the test was done, bigger injectors and smaller pulleys for more boost were not available. Nor did we have a boost mapped ECU, so the testing went no further. Next week I expect there to be all of these available.

Doug

any update on this?

·
i-VTEC, Do you?
973 Posts
JRSC and Toda would just be the meanest combo ever

·
Meow?
3,940 Posts
Naturally aspirated cams are horrible for superchargers. You really need application specific cams.

NA cams, specifically high RPM NA cams, are all about exhaust scavenging. As a result, the intake and exhaust cams are open at the same time during part of the intake stroke.

On a supercharger, this would mean wasting precious boost - and therefore horsepower - by simply blowing the compressed intake charge down the exhaust. This would in turn result in increase compressor speed, sapping more power from the engine, as well as increased heat.

With a turbocharger, this isn't that bad except with truly extreme NA cams. Any air that's blown past the engine simply spins the turbocharger faster. You don't lose any boost, but your turbo does have to work a tad harder, and thus your intake charge may be hotter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts