Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It almost seems as though it was all rushed. So basically the TODA engine kit does about 50whp but at 8K with bolt ons. Does anyone know if TODA is making an intake manifold for the K20???

I read that the ITR manifold does like 5whp to a stock Type S. Well what can we expect to have with the ITR IM with the 8K+ breathing capabilities of the cams???

I'm not sure if its the same case with the K series but with all other camshafts from TODA, the greatest (peak) power of the camshafts is realized @ that last thousand rpms-redline. Does anyone know if this will also be present in these camshafts???

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take whatever I can get man. You can never have enough power. Some members mentioned that the reason that it stopped making power @ 7900 is because the intake manifold's flowing abilities were not suffice.

I think that aking for $2,300 and still not show the actuall power that the cams could make is kinda of interesting. Unless if they were not desinged to make any more power. But then again why else would they go through the trouble of making a 9K redline? Kinda weird...:confused:

·
Registered
487 Posts
1320-DC5 said:

I think that aking for $2,300 and still not show the actuall power that the cams could make is kinda of interesting. Unless if they were not desinged to make any more power. But then again why else would they go through the trouble of making a 9K redline? Kinda weird...:confused:
You can't expect to put in a more aggressive cam (higher lift and duration) and increase HP without increasing the ability of the engine to ingest more air/fuel and evacuate the exhaust more efficiently than what the stock manifolds, ecu, fuel pressure, exhausts and intake allow. This is why TODA states the HP with the I/H/E/Chip. I guess the best way of showing what the cams gain would be to see what a car with I/H/E/chip does with stock cams and compare it with the same setup +cams. That juxtaposition (I just wanted to use that word) would allow you to see what the cams gain. It's like when I was in HS and we put a set of 390 cams into my friend LS integtra (ah the days before LS/VTEC) with a stock header. Sure, the car idled like shit and it sounded cool..which made us cool :laughing: , but it did crap fro performance. Now...when we put on a DC header (only game in town then)..the car flew... It did this because the header allowed the exhaust to flow much better..taking advantage of the more aggressive cam. (Even more so since it was a 91 LS, which had the worst exhaust manifold designed ever!!) Does it make sense?

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Z4_LSVTEC

Yeah makes sense.

Dont you think that TODA should of probably made their engine kit include an Intake Manifold for like $2600-$2700 and bring out that latent potential of the cams? Unless if there was not much power to look forward to after 8k, but who knows...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Re: Z4_LSVTEC

1320-DC5 said:
Yeah makes sense.

Dont you think that TODA should of probably made their engine kit include an Intake Manifold for like $2600-$2700 and bring out that latent potential of the cams? Unless if there was not much power to look forward to after 8k, but who knows...
What? Have you ever heard of TODA making intake manifolds before? It takes time to do the R&D. If anyone makes a manifold it will probably be Skunkworks. Just get the ITR manifold it will make power. You want more power port the head. TODA has never make parts with cheap prices so what did you expect for $2350 100whp increase.

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I guess they could of shown what the cams can do with the itr manifold. If its got a 9k red line, it'll be good to put it to use. And if not in the package, atleast show what it could do if it actually had a better manifold.

GreenR - Thanks for your input, but please put your sarcasm aside and save it for your 6th grade class tommorrow at middle school. If you are not in middle school, you sure are acting like an idiot. My questions might seem like they are ignorant, but its okay I'm asking to learn about it. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to these posts please dont, and leave it to others who do condone my lack of knowledge in this topic.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Quote from a TODA e-mail

"As of now, most people who will buy this kit will still be using the stock type-S intake manifold, so the dyno on our site is representative of the mass market.

But the ECU is designed with a 9000rpm redline in case you do add an ITR intake manifold, then you'll be able to make power close to 9000rpm. "

·
Registered
206 Posts
1320-DC5 Sorry I hurt your feelings but it seems like you want TODA to give you a complete engine package. Realistically I wouldn't want a complete package that every other DC5 owner is going to purchase. If you know that the ITR manifold makes more power, then get it. But don't complain that TODA didn't do everything for you. Test and Tune is part of the fun. SInce you live in Fairfax, why don't you come out to Budds Creek track and we can settle this like men on the track. I've have less mods than you do all I have is a DC CAI and Buddy Club Spec III exhaust. We can talkabout mods and such.

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GreenR - Its cool. To me it looked like your posts were against me and not to me. You actually seem like a cool headed guy. If you wanna go to budds creek I'm down, its all good. What's your best time man. I've been looking for someone to head down the track with me. I've been down to the track once and I can tell you I need some practice (15.9 too much oil/water on launch area). Let me know if your down.

MugenDC2R - thanks for finding that out man. Thats what I was wondering so it does make power close to redline! Man thats alot of power to be had even after you install cams.

MugenDC2R - do you recommend to go with an aftermarket IM when one comes out, or go with the ITR? How much do the aftermarket ones cost? In the past did they out performed the DC2R's manifolds performance?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would love to go this Sunday $15, but I checked the weather and its scheduled to rain. If it changes I'm down. My best time to date, which was last sunday is 14.63 @ 97 mph. I've been practicing for two weekends. I still have to work on my reaction times .762 to .809 and my 60 foots 2.3 and 2.4 suck!

G

·
Did anyone notice how TODA makes only spec A cams for the DC5 so FAR.... Who wants to bet spec B cams are around the corner??? So don't start dissing on TODA just yet.... Remember the import industry is a shady one and manufacturers are only looking to maximize their profits... They're holding out on us... :firemad:

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GreenR

I email ya. Try to meet up at budds creek when ever you want bud.
My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
487 Posts
import tuner status said:
Remember the import industry is a shady one and manufacturers are only looking to maximize their profits... They're holding out on us... :firemad:
I think most companies attempt to maximize profit, it's their raison d'etre.

·
Registered
327 Posts
1320-DC5; I would get the ITR intake manifold. I highly doubt Toda will make an intake manifold since all their mechanical upgrades are for the Type-R.

Import Tuner; from what my friend who is a dealer for Toda told me, don't think about the spec B's unless you're gonna spend a shit load of cash. VTC will have to be removed by using Toda VTC killer cam gears, and because B's are so aggressive that variable valve timing will cause the valve to hit each other. Toda pistons with deep valve reliefs need to be used because of the high lift. And since this is geared for the serious racer, Toda won't offer an off the shelf ECU. Their thinking is if someone is serious enough to go for the B's, they'll have no problem tuning their own engine management. If you're not, then you shouldn't be asking. The A's and their engine kit is enough for most of us.

And no shit they're trying to maximize profits! they're not a charity, they're a business. Any business out there is trying to maximize profits, if you think other wise, well.....

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MugenDC2R thanks!

how much do ITR manifolds go for???

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
anyone ever think of trying the venom intake manifold?

·
Registered
239 Posts
toda engine kit

I emailed Toda and they told me that it would be useless to add any upgrades in addition to their engine kit. i.e pullies and cam gears would result in a loss of power with the toda engine kit as a result of the specifically programmed ECU they include in the package

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: toda engine kit

Officer said:
I emailed Toda and they told me that it would be useless to add any upgrades in addition to their engine kit. i.e pullies and cam gears would result in a loss of power with the toda engine kit as a result of the specifically programmed ECU they include in the package
You're mistaking pulleys with cam gears. Toda for some reasons calls cam gear "campulleys", so they're telling you that adjustable cam gears aren't needed with their ECU since they control cam timing thorugh the ECU.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.