Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i correct in saying that when doing a type-r conversion from the k20a2 to the k20a by using this gasket instead of changing the pistons it will almost be the same thing? i know that the type r CR is 11.5:1 but the k20a2 with the gasket will be 11.4:1<--------pretty damn close if you ask me with half the work. is there any advantage of switching to the type-r pistons?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
You are absolutely correct. If you want to run the Type R cams with the hondata flash, this is a much cheaper option than buying the pistons(several hundred) and getting them installed (several hundred more dollars). This way when you get the cams dropped in there you can just have them use the gasket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,250 Posts
pints99 said:
You are absolutely correct. If you want to run the Type R cams with the hondata flash, this is a much cheaper option than buying the pistons(several hundred) and getting them installed (several hundred more dollars). This way when you get the cams dropped in there you can just have them use the gasket.
The head does not have to be removed to replace the cams. You don't have to run the pistons with the K20A flash anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that wasn't my question bigdawg. the k20a reflash with the type-r pistons runs better, hondata said this when the flash first came out. i was just wondering if the toda gasket would effectively do the same thing. which now i know that it would. and when installing the cams, it is very easy to remove the head, thats what pints99 was trying to say
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,250 Posts
master22 said:
that wasn't my question bigdawg. the k20a reflash with the type-r pistons runs better, hondata said this when the flash first came out. i was just wondering if the toda gasket would effectively do the same thing. which now i know that it would. and when installing the cams, it is very easy to remove the head, thats what pints99 was trying to say
Actually, it would not be very easy to remove the head when installing the cams. You will need to remove the exhaust manifold, remove the intake and any fuel connections, remove the throttle body and then remove the head and intake manifold together. Don't forget about the intake manifold bracket that is a bitch to get to.

You are talking about several hours more work.

Yes, the Toda gasket will do the same thing, but you are talking about a LOT more work for maybe 2 or 3 horsepower. And since you have the head off, you might as well replace the valves while you are in there. While you are at at, replace the head studs too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, maybe you misunderstood me, i will be putting on a new header and the itr manifold all at the same time, so it won't be that much more work, trust me, i'm not some newby troll lol ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,250 Posts
master22 said:
ok, maybe you misunderstood me, i will be putting on a new header and the itr manifold all at the same time, so it won't be that much more work, trust me, i'm not some newby troll lol ;)

Oh, I understand you aren't a newbie. I have seen a lot of people though that think if you have the valve cover off, you can take the head off in 5 minutes. If you top end will basically be disassembled anyway, then go for it.

While you are in there, upgrade your head studs to ARPs or CNs. If money permits upgrade your valves and retainers too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,250 Posts
master22 said:
yea i'm thinking about doin that, what valves should i do?
Have you heard about IB yet? They have their own, which from what I have are good parts. Of course IB also carries Supertech and Ferrea. Also, you can't exclude Skunk2. If you go with Skunk2 you can get the valves and retainers at the same time, but they are a bit more expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if i get skunk2, the only benefit from the valves i would see is a lighter top end right? unless i get my head worked and get the oversized ones right? i found the titanium skunk2 springs for like 150 bucks but i can't seem to find anything else
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,250 Posts
master22 said:
if i get skunk2, the only benefit from the valves i would see is a lighter top end right? unless i get my head worked and get the oversized ones right? i found the titanium skunk2 springs for like 150 bucks but i can't seem to find anything else
You mean the retainers for $150, right?

www.skunk2.com lists the valves for $435.20 for the set. They also list the retainers at $170 though, so I am sure they can had for a bit less that that. You are correct about the benefit of the valves being lighter. You also have the extra piece of mind with the stronger Ti retainers. Are you replacing the valve springs also? I replaced my valve springs because I knew not only would I being taking that extra precaution now, but I would also most likely upgrade down the line. Smart move because I plan on purchasing the Toda N cams and K-Pro this summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea i ment retainers i'm in class in france so i don't have time to think lol
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top