Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im going to buy the n2 engine kit very soon i was wondering if i also
get the toda head gasket that raises my CR from 11.0 to 1
to 11.4 to 1 would i knock or have any problems running 91 octane?
or is it fine and not worry about it becuz if i can i want to get the head gasket

·
Banned
446 Posts
Biga27110 said:
get the toda head gasket that lowers mr CR from 11.0 to 1
or is it fine and not worry about it becuz if i can i want to get the head gasket

well first, it would RAISE compression. and yes, you may have some troubles on 91 octane.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
I'm pretty sure a few people are running ITR pistons (11.5:1 CR) on 91 octane.

I know for a fact that people are running the Toda headgasket on 91 octane.

Wether or not it will work with the N2 cams on 91 octane, you'd have to ask Toda. Email them.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glimpse said:
I'm pretty sure a few people are running ITR pistons (11.5:1 CR) on 91 octane.

I know for a fact that people are running the Toda headgasket on 91 octane.

Wether or not it will work with the N2 cams on 91 octane, you'd have to ask Toda. Email them.
will do thanks
but i was just curouis if any one on here knew

·
Registered
252 Posts
Biga27110 said:
get the toda head gasket that raises my CR from 11.0 to 1
With an 11.4:1 compression ratio, you'll be perfectly fine running pump gas. Once you you go into the 11.5:1 and above range, that's when you should start being concerned with running low octane. But as mentioned, a lot of people are running ITR compression so it's possible, but definetly won't help in reaching the motor's potential. The .3mm Toda Head Gasket would be a great way to achieve a conservative increase in compression and still keep it very driveable. I personally think the TR head gasket is a great mod.

-Rommel

·
1 of 1
5,669 Posts
how high of a compression could u run on 93-94 Octane?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"The .3mm Toda Head Gasket would be a great way to achieve a conservative increase in compression and still keep it very driveable"

thats exactly what im looking for ill check it out and hopefully incorperate it into my engine kit

·
Registered
77 Posts
that's a good question...i would like to know too. the toyota celica gt-s is running a 11.5:1 compression stock. so i assume 11.5:1 compression is fine on pump gas? correct me if i'm wrong please.

·
Registered
252 Posts
ayosaint said:
that's a good question...i would like to know too. the toyota celica gt-s is running a 11.5:1 compression stock. so i assume 11.5:1 compression is fine on pump gas? correct me if i'm wrong please.
I suggest that, if possible, try not to exceed a compression ratio of 11.5:1 on (93 Octane). As I mentioned in my previous post, I personally would be content with a compression ratio of 11.4:1, but if you really have to have that extra .1, pump gas(93) will still be very much acceptable for 11.5:1. Good luck.

-Rommel

·
Registered
906 Posts
anything over what we have already is pushing it,
I have the Type R flash, and it is retarded timing at 3k rpms so we can run 91 octane,
something to think about.

·
Registered
573 Posts
iam runnig 12.3.1 on my ls vtec on pump gas its fine...makr great power to...in the process of building a 12.1 k24 vtec....almost done guys...................275whp sleeper.............

·
Registered
252 Posts
hotbox said:
which option is best option to raise comp considering price didnt matter type or aftermarket pistons or headgasket including install
For race application , I would suggest looking into the TR High Compression Piston kit, High Power Connecting Rods, as well as the already mentioned .3mm head gasket. This setup will result in a compression ratio of 12.9:1 and will compliment the N2 engine kit very well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i know tons of guys where i live running 12:1 in there B18c5's on regular pump gas. the k series is so much better, but no one has unlocked its tru potential, and we all know that its the electrical side of things. if u can tune the car with the right electronics, u can easly release hidden horsepower. jus no body but hondata has figured it out.

·
1 of 1
5,669 Posts
well i thought 11.5:1 would be fine seeing how the ITR can be run on pump gas...but could we run 12:1 or higher on pump gas? It seems like we can...also what kinda gains does uping the compression usually give?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Importtuner said:
well i thought 11.5:1 would be fine seeing how the ITR can be run on pump gas...but could we run 12:1 or higher on pump gas? It seems like we can...also what kinda gains does uping the compression usually give?
But remember, the ITR can run on pump gas in Japan because the pump gas in Japan has a higher octane rating(100) compared to what we are offered(93) here in the US. As for power gains, the average I've seen personally with the TR head gasket range between 6-8 WHP on RSX's with stock baselines of 170-175 WHP. With the price set at $220, the gasket is atleast worth the consideration.

Slowdelsol
I don't doubt that you are running such high compression, since I myself have witnessed it done with my friend's B18c1. But lets remember that the K-Series is a totally different motor. In the case of the DC5, the motor (w/ comp. ratio of 12.3:1)will detonate running 93 octane gas. The knock sensor will provide some assistance, but ultimately will retard the timing once it senses detonation, resulting in the loss of power.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Japan and various other countries use the RON (Research Octane Number) rating whereas in the US it is an averaging method ((RON+MON)/2). 100 RON fuel in Japan is about the same as 93-94 octane fuel here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts