Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
The B and C cams are VTEC killer cams and require removing the VTC function as well as installing new VTEC killer rocker arms. Kinda expensive and not really streetable cause it's gonna idle like shit (If it even idles) with those radical lift and duration specs. Not to mention Toda also recommends everything else they have to run those cams and a programmable ECU setup like the Hondata K-Pro.

·
Registered
811 Posts
First off seach, this topic has been covered several times. And no, to my knowledge noone has these yet. This is mostly due to the facts that toda reccomend use of VTC killer pulleys( a feature most people are not eaher to get rid of) and until now there has been no meadium with which to tune for these cams. Toda's flashed only cover the N2s and the Spec As. With the new k-pro though use of these cams without the VTC killer pulleys might be possible. I would guess that some of our more experimentative(word?) members have this on there to do list. With the B's i dont think the gains would be much over the N2's since i believe they use the same profile on the vtec lobe.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Davidt, the B's and Cls are not Vtec killer cams. Toda simply reccomends the use of VTC killer pulleys since the ecu's ability to control cam timing might posibly cause issues with piston to valve clearence.

·
- - - - - - -
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the equipment is finally available to use these cams, just wondering if anyone stepped up to the challenge. Just curious, why would removing the intelligence from our engines be so scary? Wouldn't the power just not be as gradual, but more like the sudden power of the B series engines?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes, the powerband would be more similar to the b series, very narrow by comparison. Its not that you are just removing intelligece from the engine, you are removing complete variable control of cam timing. Something that helps give our cars the very broad, by comparison, powerband we enjoy. IMO its not worth it for a few hp up top. Just wait and see if the issue can be resolved with the k-pro. If it cant then wait for some cams that have near stock off vtec profiles and super agressive profiles on the vtec lobes.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
thatguywiththersx said:
Yes, the powerband would be more similar to the b series, very narrow by comparison. Its not that you are just removing intelligece from the engine, you are removing complete variable control of cam timing. Something that helps give our cars the very broad, by comparison, powerband we enjoy. IMO its not worth it for a few hp up top. Just wait and see if the issue can be resolved with the k-pro. If it cant then wait for some cams that have near stock off vtec profiles and super agressive profiles on the vtec lobes.
Not just that, but The VTC is what also helps our engines get the Super LEV stamp of approval. So I am sure that in Cali an engine with these cams might have trouble passing emissions thanks in part to the every so popular CARB standards.

Luckily I live in Georgia :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts