Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i ran a total of 18 times in the hour and a half that i was there...whenever i go to the track in arizona, i get 3 or 4 runs in on an emptier night...so this place is sweet

anyways, i wasn't planning on going to the track but a couple friends went so i went as a last minute thing so unfortunately i had 3/4 tank of gas along with a full interior...by the time i was done with all of my runs i had a little over 1/2 tank of gas

best time of the night was a [email protected] with a 2.424 60'

i have gone to the drag strip many times in different cars, but this was the first time in this car...i've got my shifting down perfectly but i can't launch this car for shit...i might go back tomorrow to just practice launching...i pretty much beat all the cars i went up against except for a BPU supra tt (oh...so sweet)

so i basically can't hookup in 1st on my launch...i've tried walking the clutch, slipping the clutch, dropping the clutch, nothing worked...i can do just fine on street launches but at the track i either get too much spin, wheel hop, or both...after about 8 or 9 runs i let out about 12psi from my tires (was running about 32psi stock and got them down to about 20psi and that did the opposite of helping me...i got even more wheel spin and wheel hop

so what does everyone reccomend? if i can get my 60' down to a 2.3 i should be able to pull an easy 14.5 (my goal with my current mods) which i think can easily be done...i had about 10gallons of gas in my tank when i started = 10x7 so 70 lbs. of gas, plus spare and bose sub...i'm figuring i can reduce the weight by about 100 lbs. by driving it around for awhile and taking out the back seat/sub/spare and possibly the front passenger seat if i have time

so with 100 lbs. less and a better 60 ft. time i should be able to pull easy low 14s i'm thinking

i've looked all around on all different threads...what is the best launch technique you guys have found with the stock rubber? i should be getting my neuspeed springs in the mail soon and hopefully those with help slightly with my launch (and then once the damn s03 pole positions come in i'll slap my 18s on and run consistant 15 second passes)...so any input is appreciated

i consider myself to be an excellent stick shift driver/shifter and all of my friends think so too...i have about 15 friends that drive stick and they all consider me to be the best driver out of all of them just as a reference point

i went up against a tt rx7 that was running best times of mid 16 second passes...the supra i went up against was running consistant high 12s...my friend with a probe with i/e was running constant mid 16s, i ran a v6 mustang with a passenger that ran a mid 16 second pass and thats all i can remember running

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i know...it had wheels and a big aluminum gtr style adjustable wing...stock exhaust and it had 2 guages on the pillar...when i raced him i beat him by over 2 seconds and he ran a 17.4 or so...i've heard stories that he goes there a lot and can't drive for shit

·
i'm always right
3,831 Posts
new tires is what you need, that's the best pointer i can give you.

as for the TT rx-7 guy, he's an idiot if he can't get that car to outrun yours or my type-s. that car puts down a lot more power than ours and is a hell of a lot faster.

G

·
hey MrBurner, ever raced at Firebird in AZ? If so, ever heard of or met Nick Riley? Just wondering. He runs a blue neon.

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Autox5 said:
hey MrBurner, ever raced at Firebird in AZ? If so, ever heard of or met Nick Riley? Just wondering. He runs a blue neon.
yeah i used to race at firebird in my maxima all the time...i get back in town in 3 weeks and i'll probably race a few times in my rsx over the summer since firebird isn't too busy and is open almost every weekend...don't know nick riley offhand...might know him or the car if i saw them...no blue neon's i can think of that stick out though

G

·
Nick and several other neons go out on thursday nights (i think thats the import/compact night). When you get back, look out for him and his buddies. Hes running 13.3 on slicks (bolt-ons and mucho weight redux), and i believe 13.8's on street tires. I like your maxima.

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'll look out for him when i get back in town...i live in scottsdale, you? im me if you have aol imer at AZMaxima

thanks for the complements on the maxi but its all parted out and gone now...working on my new project

i thought firebird was open on friday nights? well thats always when i went...maybe they changed their times around

the track here was so sweet because i got 18 runs in an hour and a half...at firebird, even in the empty summer weeks i'd get maybe 5 runs in a couple hours and even thats pushing it...during the summer usually its not so crowded for the first few hours until it gets really dark out...starts getting crowded around 9 or 10

G

·
sorry, i made it sound like im in AZ. I actually live in chicago. Nick Riley is a well known guy in neon circles (i drive a neon), and he frequently posts (neons.org) about racing at firebird. There are a lot of quick neon guys down in AZ.
I'm not sure about the day of the week. Im probably wrong.
Anyway, if you see a blue neon stripped to the metal in the interior, running 13's, and hanging out with some other neonites, thats him. Good luck with the RSX.

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright, i'll look for him when i get back

where in chicago do you live? i used to live in evanston before i moved to arizona

G

·
Where are you shifting? From my experience (none with RSX but plenty with other cars) going full RL is not the key.

Trick is to keep your HP/tq in the "highest average" and judging by the stock dyno's I've seen here on RSX's, looks like our highest 'average' through a complete cycle of a gear would mean dropping out at say 7500 or so. That should put you into the next gear just before vtec kicks in making sure you aren't waisting any of the good powerband by dropping into it and loosing the first 2-300 RPM of that vtec goodness.

But since your time is good and you say your an awesome shifter, I'd be interested to know what points you are using.

As for launch, looks like you know all the tricks, and if nothing is working it's not your skill.

Best you can do is heat up your meat, and feather (walk) a big start (5000-5500 seems ok to me but maybe a bit high?).

Are you passing 6k before you grip?

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
XS-RSX said:
Where are you shifting? From my experience (none with RSX but plenty with other cars) going full RL is not the key.

Trick is to keep your HP/tq in the "highest average" and judging by the stock dyno's I've seen here on RSX's, looks like our highest 'average' through a complete cycle of a gear would mean dropping out at say 7500 or so. That should put you into the next gear just before vtec kicks in making sure you aren't waisting any of the good powerband by dropping into it and loosing the first 2-300 RPM of that vtec goodness.

But since your time is good and you say your an awesome shifter, I'd be interested to know what points you are using.

As for launch, looks like you know all the tricks, and if nothing is working it's not your skill.

Best you can do is heat up your meat, and feather (walk) a big start (5000-5500 seems ok to me but maybe a bit high?).

Are you passing 6k before you grip?
first let me say thats a sweet pic in your sig

on most cars it is good to shift at redline especially high revving cars like ours...although you may be missing out in the first couple hundred rpm of vtec, our powerband constantly goes up so the higher rpms you can get it to the better...i have heard that theory before about shifting where the torque and horsepower both average out but i have seen it proved wrong...don't remember exactly how but the rsx defenitely has pickup until redline...high revving engines like ours and s2000's need to be taken to full redline...i have beaten s2000's in my maxima which was in no way faster than the s2k but they shifted at like 8500 or so and didn't use all their power

i basically just get in there and am completely focused when i shift...i have been told i get this weird fierce look on my face every time i shift, too...basically take it right to fuel cutoff right before it hits it i shift...i've chirped 4th before when my tires were really really really hot and i have people that can testify to that :D

but on the launch...i tried a ton of different techniques so yeah...a few times it didn't hookup until after i shifted from 1st...i'd take 1st to redline and it would still be spinning yet when i shift into 2nd it drops it down to like 5k or so rpm so i'm not in vtec and it lags a lot and i get low 15 second times

assuming it doesn't rain this saturday i'm going back to the track for a few hours so i'll try to perfect my launch...i'll be taking out my spare, the sub, keeping my front tires at 20psi and probably raising the rears upto 40 or so with about 1/4 tank of gas or less

i'll post back in this thread whether or not i go and what the results were if i go

btw just picked up my shift light today so that should keep me more focused...i'll be installing that tomorrow along with my apexi rev/speed meter (assuming that comes in the mail tomorrow like they said it would)

G

·
Fuel cutoff is when?

I too get the evil stare at the Tach when powershifting, to the point I sometimes drift a bit to the side. :p :p

I know I've passed 8.0 to maybe 8.1 on the factory tach...

It just seems to me that 2nd doesn't last as long as it should and maybe it would help to get into it at say 5800 or so...

If you are running 18 runs, do me a favor and try shifting into 2nd at 7800-7850 just once. See what happens.

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright, assuming it doesn't rain and i go saturday, i'll try to shift around 7500

fuel cutoff is supposed to be around 8100 i think but the factory tach shows about 8300 or so...maybe 8350 before it hits the fuel cutoff...i've only hit the fuel cutoff once and i take it upto ~8300 before every shift (when i'm racing that is)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts