Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the next couple months when i get a Type S i will be looking for a good cheaper tool set to pick up that will have mostly everything i will need in it that can complete some of the basic RSX modifications like Exhaust, CAI, and Racing Headers. Just looking at what you guys suggest, any decent sets out there for say less than $200? I don't need any huge set just something small that would get these jobs done. I will also purchase a torque wrench seperately (of course not included in the $200). Thank you in advance for suggestions.

·
Spicy Raccoon
28,537 Posts
I got this tool set and this torque wrench from Sears. The toolset was a little cheaper because I bought it around father's day (was 179 i think) and the torque wrench was $60. Watch for circular ads in the news paper as this stuff goes on sale regularly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions will definately keep my eyes open on craigs list, and if i don't really see alot that intrests me i will probably pick up that tool set.

·
The power of Dreams
528 Posts
to install i/h/e all you need are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm wrenches, and 3/8ths sockets, with ratchet, the basic set of hand tools at sears for like 50$ should include all that plus more

·
I LOVE HATERS!
1,167 Posts
For Honda's not alot of tools are required for working on them.

8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 22mm, 32mm, 34mm will suffice most things on a Honda.

If I were you I'd go to Sears and buy a Craftsman set of the following.

- 8MM-19MM Wrench Set
- 8MM-19MM 3/8" Set
- 3/8" Extensions in numerous sizes
- Allen Key Socket set for when you have to tackle that sway bar; if neccesary.
- 3/8" Ratchet small one and medium one

Then for a breaker bar find an aluminum pipe that will fit over the ratchet and there's also a trick you can use with wrenches to get more breakaway torque. PM me if you want to know that one.

I personally don't own any 1/4" tools at all. I prefer 3/8" for everything I do and I do have 1/2" sockets, but those are for my impact gun.

If you want to be a big baller search these sites for tools; otherwise go to Sear's for Craftsman. I personally use a variance of Matco, Mac, and Snap On. They are worth every penny as tools for me are an investment since I work on cars for a living. The tools will pay themselves off.

matcotools.com
mactools.com
snapon.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks for all the suggestions, well I will probably install header CAI and Exhaust myself but when I get my Buddy Club N+ I will probably bring it by the shop and let you guys handle that install haha :thumbsup:

·
Sleeping...
2,274 Posts
and believe me this... ratchet wrenches are a must... I love those things and you can find some cheap 'gear wrench' brand on either ebay or most surplus tool stores.
also if you are going to be doing a lot of small stuff... definitely get 1/4"... much easier to manuever than the 3/8" in the tighter spaces, you will definitely understand.
one more thing, get one of these sets (doesn't have to be this brand): Definitely needed in any tool set...

·
KD
4,547 Posts
working on honda cars is too simple..

1. wrench
2. 10, 12, 14 mm socket
3. breaker bar
4. extensions 6inches, 10 inches, 4 inches, 2 inches
5. swivel socket
6. phillips and flat head screw drivers..
7. jack stands
8. PB blaster
9. o2 socket

... i used the above tools and have done exhaust, intake, RBC Intake manifold, Hondata IMG, and Race header..

·
Section 8
1,556 Posts
working on honda cars is too simple..

1. wrench
2. 10, 12, 14 mm socket
3. breaker bar
4. extensions 6inches, 10 inches, 4 inches, 2 inches
5. swivel socket
6. phillips and flat head screw drivers..
7. jack stands
8. PB blaster
9. o2 socket

... i used the above tools and have done exhaust, intake, RBC Intake manifold, Hondata IMG, and Race header..
TORQUE WRENCH and torque specs guide

I guess this is the set you guys bring to steal $h!t off my car at night?

·
Spicy Raccoon
28,537 Posts
and believe me this... ratchet wrenches are a must... I love those things and you can find some cheap 'gear wrench' brand on either ebay or most surplus tool stores.
also if you are going to be doing a lot of small stuff... definitely get 1/4"... much easier to manuever than the 3/8" in the tighter spaces, you will definitely understand.
one more thing, get one of these sets (doesn't have to be this brand): Definitely needed in any tool set...
TRUTH!

My next investment is a set of ratcheting wrenches.

·
KD
4,547 Posts
TORQUE WRENCH and torque specs guide

I guess this is the set you guys bring to steal $h!t off my car at night?
I know i should use a torque wrench more often then I do.. and yes :shady:

·
austins golden shower
3,721 Posts
whats the equivalent of a 12mm socket? 1/2 socket?

·
The power of Dreams
528 Posts
i love my ratcheting wrenches, i have both the regular 8mm-24 and the newer extra long ones from gear wrench only 8mm-19 though, they are double box end and on end is ratcheting, i wish they had them in 20-24mm though, anyone know if they are even making them, they would kick ass for alignments?

·
The Architect™
7,444 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts