Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very super tiny chip on my door from opening and hitting something very lightly :crying: . Minor, but still noticeable from several feet away. Should I get the touch up paint brush or the pen from Acura? And is there any special way you guys put the treatment on. Thanks dudes :bow:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got mad rock chips on my hood and along my doors. I guess thats what happens when you rally hardcore. I suggest you stongard your entire car.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Team Late Apex said:
I've got mad rock chips on my hood and along my doors. I guess thats what happens when you rally hardcore. I suggest you stongard your entire car.
dudeeee! you are so hardcore dude :laughing: :wavey:

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
Frosty said:
Get the brush, but buy a finer brush from a hobby shop or art store.
The pen and brush from the dealer are too big that it's hard to do a good, precise job.
:iamwiths:

Remember to work slowly...light layers will give you better control and a more even look.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Actually you can use a toothpick if the chip is really small. It works really well, and you get get it right in the small chip without touching the good paint, making it blend better. Try it on a piece of paper or something before attempting it on the car to see how it works for you.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm sure you could...just press it down on like a plastic lid or something...and then dab the toothpick with it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Frosty said:
Get the brush, but buy a finer brush from a hobby shop or art store.
The pen and brush from the dealer are too big that it's hard to do a good, precise job.
What kind of brush is good to get? Any pics?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
EternalBlue said:
:iamwiths:

Remember to work slowly...light layers will give you better control and a more even look.
if you take you time you can almost completely fill the chip. just dont put to much paint at one time or it will drip.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Young_RSXS said:
What kind of brush is good to get? Any pics?
you need a medium stiff synthetic brush about the size of the third one from the bottom. if you get a brush that is to soft it will not stay pointed. you need a good point for small chips so you can control the paint better. you can find these at hobby lobby.

Attachments

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
ADAMRSX said:
you need a medium stiff synthetic brush about the size of the third one from the bottom. if you get a brush that is to soft it will not stay pointed. you need a good point for small chips so you can control the paint better. you can find these at hobby lobby.
Are you an artist? Just curious since you seem to know your stuff. I wish I had a nice neat brush set like that...all I have are some random sizes that I used in art school. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
EternalBlue said:
Are you an artist? Just curious since you seem to know your stuff. I wish I had a nice neat brush set like that...all I have are some random sizes that I used in art school. :laughing:

you might call me a paint chip artist, but other than that i have 0 artistic skill. i have alot of parctice with painting chips because my car has 103,400 miles on it and their is a gravel pit on the same road that i take to work. needless to say i always find myself behind a dump truck. my poor car's front end looks like it has been sprayed with a rock shooting machine gun.

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
ADAMRSX said:
That's the stuff :D

I keep a good brush set for chips and I made little model kit cars (got a lil airbrush set too).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
what if the chips are starting to rust on the hood? Can I put the paint over it or would that be a bad idea. Its only a little rust spot but I dont wnat it to spread. Any suggestions

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
aurilleous said:
what if the chips are starting to rust on the hood? Can I put the paint over it or would that be a bad idea. Its only a little rust spot but I dont wnat it to spread. Any suggestions
I wouldn't seal in the rust if that's what you mean. I think there is such a thing as sand paper pens...try to get your hands on one of those...regular sand paper is too risky unless you mask off the area. Even then the masked off area can get shredded down if you use the sand paper over it.

In any case, sand it out...then you can dab a little bit of rustoleum on it if you have some handy. That should prevent further rust. Then top with touch up paint. Make sure the area is clean before you do any painting.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
"I wouldn't seal in the rust if that's what you mean"

I use the tip of a knife to scrape the rust out of the chip and then apply paint. for those who thought they had alot of chips check out this small section of my hood and most of you will feel better. everyone of the spots in the pic are chips not bugs or dirt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
aurilleous said:
You gotta sand it out.

3M spot sanding pen:

Excel precision sanding stick

Sand out all the rust before painting it, preferably apply a rust inhibiting primer first.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
ADAMRSX said:
"I wouldn't seal in the rust if that's what you mean"

I use the tip of a knife to scrape the rust out of the chip and then apply paint. for those who thought they had alot of chips check out this small section of my hood and most of you will feel better. everyone of the spots in the pic are chips not bugs or dirt.
My bumper and front kit look close to that. :( However, a lot of touch up paint has been used to cover them up. Luckily my hood has not really been affected by the rocks and junk.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
"My bumper and front kit look close to that. However, a lot of touch up paint has been used to cover them up. Luckily my hood has not really been affected by the rocks and junk"

i only touch up chips if the metal is exposed or else i would be doing touch ups for days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts