Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Tough bolt on DCRH, Tips?

1K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  madru17 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my buddies and I have been trying to remove one bolt for about 2 hours now. Disregarding the fact that they have extreme mental disorders, this should have been quick process. Anyway, we are stuck on the bottom right bolt that goes into the motor(we realize we took them off in the wrong order). We've tried PB blaster and it's not helping. We're having troubles getting leverage on the bolt because it's such a tight space. Do you guys have any recommendations? U-joints? Thank you in advance

#10 ·
Welp we're gonna call it a night and I'm back home now. In all honesty, we took the bolts off the header in the wrong order (I didn't think that taking it off in a random order would matter as compared to installation pattern going from inside to outside, kinda like taking lug nuts off in any order). However, the header was COLD at the time so I don't see how that could have impacted the pressure placed on the one bolt all the way on the passenger side. I've tried reinstalling the other nuts and bolts to 33 ft/lb as factory spec and it hasn't done anything for us.
Don't see how that weak little bolt gave us so much trouble. Tomorrow we're tightening the subframe bolts back and driving the car to an exhaust shop open-header and see if they'd loosen the bolt for us with air tools and know-how.

#14 ·
I have a 1" Steel pipe I use as a breaking bar, I just slide it over whatever ratchet I'm using at the time. Stuck nuts & bolts dont stand a chance.

It's very important to go into every job with the right tools, make your life sooooo much easier.

#15 ·
All of the bolts are accessible from the top, thats how i pulled mine off, just use a breaker bar.

#16 ·
um since this thread is old, i thought I'd just ask since it's related. The bolt that connects the lower arm and the rear shock is stuck. I mean STUUUCK. I have a breaker bar, have room for the breaker bar, but this isn't going anywhere. What can i do? I've been tapping it and oiling it, but this thing isn't budging. And I'm afraid to strip the bolt. PLease help...i only have this one side left and this is causing major delays and headaches..

#20 · (Edited)
? Never heat up the bolt. Heat forces the metal to expand making the bolt even tighter. If you're going to heat something up, heat up the surrounding area, not the bolt.

um since this thread is old, i thought I'd just ask since it's related. The bolt that connects the lower arm and the rear shock is stuck. I mean STUUUCK. I have a breaker bar, have room for the breaker bar, but this isn't going anywhere. What can i do? I've been tapping it and oiling it, but this thing isn't budging. And I'm afraid to strip the bolt. PLease help...i only have this one side left and this is causing major delays and headaches..
Any mechanic will tell you that jarring something loose is the best way to go about removing stubborn hardware. Just keep hitting the breaker bar with the palm of your hand and it'll break loose eventually.

#21 ·
Yup i did heat up the surrounding area, and i had hope when the bolt wiggled, but there's something else wrong with the bolt....gonna have to take it to the shop tomorrow morning (if any is open) because the nut is pretty stripped. I don't want to do more damage. I would've been done 8am, but I spent 10 hours on that stupid bolt...what a fuckin waste of time.

Oh yeah two trips to Lowes because the two sockets split...yeah there's something wrong with the bolt. It's only 46 ft-lb...:dontknow:

#23 ·
yeah there's enough for the breaker bar, it's just that there's gotta be something wrong with the bolt, because it budges, and I moved the wheel up and down and up and down. When it budges, it goes back, like it was on a spring or something. :dontknow: i'll let the professionals take it over from here. lol

#27 ·
lol torch, heat gun, umm...next door neighbor's high-tech 5000F torch ( i was scared...) lol nothing worked. I wanted to just cut the damn bushings off with a cutting wheel. lol aye...:shakehead stupid bolt :deadhorse I already have a bolt to replace it, so i'll let the shop do it. I'm pretty sore from trying to do this shit all day. lol 10 hour work out ftw. :laughing:

#26 ·
wo do it i know exactly how it is lol that bolts nuts on older cars if its
never been removed before

we actually put a 7 foot pole onto a breaker bar and it broke through the pole

sometimes a BB just isnt enough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.