Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my RSX since 2009 and enjoy driving it. I have done some mods as listed in my signature and yes, it's a base.

I have been living away from home for the last 3 months, and will for another 4 months due to a job I took in the south. I go home once a month and just drive my RSX on the weekend. So I don't use it much up there. Here's my dillema:

1) The RSX rear brakes or rotors seem to be bad and need to be replaced. When I freely spin the rotor, it rubs against the pad at certain parts on BOTH sides. Hopefully I don't need new calipers too, but I'm sure brakes & rotors are needed at least

2) Either a transmission problem or clutch & flywheel problem. I had my trans rebuilt with the CTR 5.1 FD, TSX 6th, & Quaife LSD. Over time, I get this wierd power delay when shifting and hitting the gas. There is also buzzing with the clutch pedal not depressed, when at idle. The transmission is getting more stubborn when shifting gears, and sometimes I can't get it out of reverse. The rebuilt trans was apparently not rebuilt correctly, if it's not the clutch.

3) I get a clunking from the rear of my car. Maybe the suspension top hats have to be replaced? IDK.

4) A branch fell on the hood of my car, and there is a slight, not too noticable dent near driver's side headlight.

5) Car has 120,000 miles.

I do not have the space or resources to do these myself so I will have to pay to get them done. It will most likely cost thousands of dollars. With my car in great condition what could I get, like $6,000 for it? Selling it with these issues, I could get what, $3,000?

I test drove the 6-speed ILX and liked it, but I think it's overpriced, plus no LSD. WTF Honda?
Then I test drove the 2013 Civic SI sedan and really like it. I can get it for $1,000k or so off sticker and it already has TORQUE, great gearing, LSD, backup camera, more space, lots of tech features, etc. It's still that boy ricer image though which I'm not too fond of.
Unfortunately the FRS was just a tad too small for me, and the 6-speed was very nochy. I didn't get to really open it up.
Used 350z didn't seem powerful enough for being a bigger motor. Trans was not as good as Civic's.
Used 370z was plenty powerful but blindspots EVERYWHERE. My feet were too big for the small pedal space. Trans was not as good as Civic's.

I hate to blow money on a new car though, which I never bought in my life. I would buy it in Louisiana and drive it on the weekends. My company pays for gas :) In November I would use a week of vacation and drive it home, driving through the east coast which would be exciting since I've never done that before. The RSX would probably last a while if I fixed it and am home for good to drive it.

What should I do?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
first off you really shouldnt buy a car new. there is no reason to spend the money on something that is going to depreciate immediately off the lot. find a good used car from an owner that genuinely cares.

if your into the two seater thing i would definitely swing towards the s2000 especially with you being in the south.

the rotors are warped from sitting. since its a base, it will prob be like 80 bucks max for new rotors and pads that you can do yourself with hand tools. the transmission could be another story.. clutch/throwout bearing... perhaps CMC?? you dont know till you take it apart sometimes.

it really is going to come down to what you want to do based of your finances and likes. for a business car the 08ish acura TL S is a pretty fast car with phenomenal brakes, and a relatively spacious cabin for road trips. though, you might be more at home with a tsx and keep the k series roots.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
I bought a new Si a year ago. Tried to 'get used' to the rev hang and 'whiplash' drive by wire throttle. Hondata fixed the rev hang; but the on/off throttle drove me nuts. Plus... IMO; the car was just a huge taxi cab. Yes... it had low end torque out the yin yang. And I really hated the profile view. Toward the end; I referred to it as 'the roach' (it was black and looked like a huge cockroach).

But this took a couple of months of me driving it to realize.

I ended up selling it (for a loss) and grabbing up a RSX-S with 58,000 miles. No regrets.

Just my story. Good luck whichever way you go.

-scott

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Umm OK I'm now thinking of a new plan.

When I last test drove the FRS it was a while ago, and I didn't know the steering wheel telescoped out. It was basically hitting my knees on that test drive. I also pretty much just went in a straight line and back.

Tonight I passed by a different Toyota dealership that had a few out front. The salesman was cool and he actually told me to take it out on these windy rounds. He told me to to 60 around this turn. HOLY CRAP. This car is amazing!! THe transmission was smooth too. Maybe the 1st one I drove had some issue from the factory.

I'll have to check out insurance rates, etc. but I'm probably just going to fix the rear brakes on the RSX and use it as my winter car. It works surprisingly well on winter tires, and hope the transmission holds up.

How do I keep the rotors from warping if I just let it sit out under a car cover, for the future?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
cars are made to be driven. if you just let them sit in an uncontrolled place stuff starts to go bad.

brz or bust... scion is tacky man.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cars are made to be driven. if you just let them sit in an uncontrolled place stuff starts to go bad.

The RSX will have a car cover on it. I would also start it up every 6 weeks or so and drive it for 10-15 minutes around the block, during the off-season.

And I agree that "Scion" is tacky, but I don't like the front fascia of the BRZ. I would probably just replace the Scion Badges with Toyota ones. Good enough for me. The car is addicting ... wish I was driving it now haha.

·
Spouse of RSX-S owner
209 Posts
Tough Choice: Fix & Keep RSX, or Don't Fix & Sell for New Car
Maybe one way to look at it, if you want to be objective about it (and car purchases are so rarely objective) is to estimate the resale value of the car, and the cost of these anticipated repairs and then the value of the car after they are done... if you can handle the ratio between the cost of repairs and the possible improvement in the car's value, take that into consideration.

By comparison, our RSX-S, bought new, is creeping up on nine years old and 61K miles, my wife's "baby" and despite my warnings that we should start making plans on when we'd replace it (I'm suggesting a BMW 128i or a BRZ although neither are perfect), she wants to hold onto it and spend money on it (see my thread in Interiors on Katzkins, for instance). Like I said, not always an objective choice.

·
#MoneyTeam
1,187 Posts
just recently bought a brz and I have zero regrets. It is a great car to drive. I did however make the upgrade from a base rsx to the brz...so not sure how it compares to a type-s

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
After looking into the FRS/BRZ a little more, there are A LOT of common problems. I am going to have to hold off for now, until they fix these problems. I don't want to buy a year car known for many issues - it could hurt resale value down the road. My addiction will have to wait :(

A used S2000 sounds better and better ... but I can't buy one down here to drive home in November. All my luggage won't fit lol.

·
Functional Member
529 Posts
After looking into the FRS/BRZ a little more, there are A LOT of common problems. I am going to have to hold off for now, until they fix these problems. I don't want to buy a year car known for many issues - it could hurt resale value down the road. My addiction will have to wait :(

A used S2000 sounds better and better ... but I can't buy one down here to drive home in November. All my luggage won't fit lol.
I'm in a similar dilemma. My RSX-S was stolen and wrecked.

I will get almost enough to buy one with slightly lower miles but had an accident.

But I also have a 1999 Miata and was thinking of selling that then buying a BRZ.

And I can't deal with 2 2-seater roadsters with little practicality so no S2000

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm in a similar dilemma. My RSX-S was stolen and wrecked.

I will get almost enough to buy one with slightly lower miles but had an accident.

But I also have a 1999 Miata and was thinking of selling that then buying a BRZ.

And I can't deal with 2 2-seater roadsters with little practicality so no S2000
you wrecked your type s? i bought some stuff off you not to long ago.

·
booty inspector
2,641 Posts
If you got all that done to your rsx I wouldn't sell it for $3000. I'd keep it for that much and just make it a toy. I really don't like the new ILX but the 09 to current TSX is pretty nice. Interior is sick and you get xm radio haha. I'm thinking about upgrading to a white 09 6spd tsx myself for about 16k or 17k. Payments would be like $300 a mo with like a g down.

edit: I had a rear clunking noise couldn't figure out what is was but it went away when I replaced the rear coilovers.

·
Banned
3,213 Posts
I would try to squeeze 5 grand out of the car if you do plan on selling it

and if you leave a car unused for long period of time don't start it, either throw it on jacks or spin the tires to different positions so it doesn't develop flat spots. Also don't start it every 6 weeks because I can guarantee your battery will die in 1 month. Remove the neg cable and let it sit in peace until you decide to use it again.

my friend has a 9th gen SI and it is a great commuter car. torquey but isn't fun and high revving as other hondas

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I would try to squeeze 5 grand out of the car if you do plan on selling it

and if you leave a car unused for long period of time don't start it, either throw it on jacks or spin the tires to different positions so it doesn't develop flat spots. Also don't start it every 6 weeks because I can guarantee your battery will die in 1 month. Remove the neg cable and let it sit in peace until you decide to use it again.

my friend has a 9th gen SI and it is a great commuter car. torquey but isn't fun and high revving as other hondas

technically you want the battery tended or pull it and keep it inside

·
I <3 My RiceRocket
574 Posts
You looked into the Genesis coupe at all? Obviously Hyundai's used to be P.O.S's back in the day, but they really have made a strong comeback. I've heard lots of good things about the gen coupe

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I always disconnect the battery after I'm done with the car, since I'm only home once a month or so. I'll have to figure out how to put it on jackstands. It currently sits on the ground under a car cover.

The late model TSX is 3,400 lbs. Way too heavy IMO. That's why the ILX and Civic SI interested me. The civic has the same engine, 450lbs less, LSD etc. Not as classy looking and boy ricer image I know, but more fun to drive to and from work. Plus the stock wheels are 23lbs. Putting my RPF1s on that car would shave off 8lbs per wheel. And of course that will be a very noticable performance boost during driving . Then Hondata after the car is broken in, with intake and dynotune. But supposedly Honda will be implementing their earth dreams engines into the civics in 2015. I'll bet the Civic SI will get the same treatment with direct injection, better technlogy, etc.

Not interested in the big Hyundai.

The more I think about it, the more I want a fun summer car though, with the RSX dedicated for the winter. I'm stuck driving automatic rental cars down here, and it's real depressing.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
first off you really shouldnt buy a car new. there is no reason to spend the money on something that is going to depreciate immediately off the lot. find a good used car from an owner that genuinely cares.
There are plenty of reasons to buy a car new. You can still get a good deal on a new car. Every car will depreciate, whether you bought it new or used, but buying certain cars new is a huge advantage that gives you peace of mind (which you can't always put a price on), knowing that you don't really have much to worry about since you're the only owner. It's not a big deal if you're talking about a Toyota Corolla, but when dealing with more performance-oriented cars, it's not always clear if it was owned by someone responsible who drove the car like a commuter or if it was by someone irresponsible who beat on it and didn't do proper maintenance on it. And it's not like people who fit the latter description will always admit it, and you can't really speak on the habits of prior owners of a car with multiple prior owners.

Personally, I would also pick the BRZ over the FR-S nine times out of ten. But at least for the 2014 model, they are coming out with the FR-S Series 10 or whatever it's called, and it's more or less a Toyota GT-86 with Scion emblems, so it has the nicer bits and pieces rather than the downgraded Scion stuff. So if your beef with it is the Scion interior, that will be solved with the Series 10 model. Though I'd still pick the BRZ, but that's just me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
god the BRZ is a stupid ass car, I dont get why so many people are ditching their cars and buying them. literally like EVERYONE has one now, so it is the absolute least original car you could buy right now, and you wil get completely smoked by so many other cars its not even funny

In for seeing a BRZ with an inline 4 swap and toyota to treat us americans like adults and call it a GT-86 over here too.

also I dont find any reason to buy a new car, especially one that is gonna depreciate tremendously due to the ammount on the road already (BRZ/FR-S)

and Hyundai is absolute Korean crap. so is Kia. go and actually DRIVE a genesis, plastic junk, nothing more.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I don't think people are expecting BRZs to "smoke" cars when it has only 200 hp. That's not the point, just like how people don't buy Miatas to "smoke" people either.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts