Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
these questions are particularly aimed at those of you who have run auto x events with an rsx.

what mods provide the best improvement per dollar (other than tires)?

do you have a set of track wheels/tires and another for daily driving?

if you had to do it all over again, would you mod your rsx or try a different platform?

TIA

little a

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
little a said:
these questions are particularly aimed at those of you who have run auto x events with an rsx.

what mods provide the best improvement per dollar (other than tires)?

do you have a set of track wheels/tires and another for daily driving?

if you had to do it all over again, would you mod your rsx or try a different platform?

TIA

little a
The best mods for your car is LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IT.
Go to a driving school and practice. Best mod for your car would definately be a good set of tires other than that.
You will be able to shave more time by learning how to drive better, than getting more mods for your car. When you feel you have reached the car's potential then it's time to mod. For now get some tires and practice. The RSX is a good platform for autoX with the right mods.
I have a set of race wheels and another set of street wheels. I wouldn't get another platform if I were to do it again.

·
behind your rearview
9,244 Posts
As said with mugenhonda, other than seat time and instruction w/ tips, and tires.... an alignment helps as well....

since I'm in STS, I just use my rota slipstreams with azenis, but since I do a lot of autox, and track days, I'm in need of some daily driving rims and tires as well...

otherwise I'd probably like to autox an evo 8 or something rwd....or if I was staying in sts... a 89 civic si (proven sts winners)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: track/auto x competition

MugenHonda said:

I have a set of race wheels and another set of street wheels. I wouldn't get another platform if I were to do it again.
what type/size wheels are you running on the track? also, what tires are you using?

for track days (hopefully soon!) i'd like to get tires. the stock tires are so horrible i'd like to keep them for street driving only where they are decent.

little a

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zeroryde said:
since I'm in STS, I just use my rota slipstreams with azenis, but since I do a lot of autox, and track days, I'm in need of some daily driving rims and tires as well...
what size are you using? i'd like to keep my stock wheels for daily driving and get something else for track days.

little a

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Re: Re: Re: track/auto x competition

little a said:
what type/size wheels are you running on the track? also, what tires are you using?

for track days (hopefully soon!) i'd like to get tires. the stock tires are so horrible i'd like to keep them for street driving only where they are decent.

little a
Race = Rota Slipstreams with 205/55/16 Falken Azenis tires
Street = WORK Emotion CR bronze wheels with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE040 tires

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: Re: track/auto x competition

MugenHonda said:
Race = Rota Slipstreams with 205/55/16 Falken Azenis tires
falken azenis sport? it seems like everyone says falken azenis but there are several models (or am i dilusional?) maybe both ;)

little a

·
Registered
235 Posts
what are you going to be doing with the car? track? autox? both? is there a specific class you want to compete in or do you just wanna go out and have fun?

first of all forget the falken azenis for track days. its a good tire for autox, but they tend to get too hot, loose grip, and get greasy on the track after a few good hard laps. if you want a performance street tire, the kumho mx will serve you better for track duty. just realize neither are true race tires, which is fine because you should really learn on street tires anyway.

that said there is NOTHING wrong with the stock tires on the RSX. if you have never been to a track day before you will be amazed at how well they grip, you never get close to it on the street. granted there are much better tires out there but your first time on a road course you will be more then happy with the stock tires, i promise.

for the money, crash bolts are by far the best mod. you need 4 of them $4 each from acura, put as much camber in the front wheels as you can. it will completely transform the car, for only $16. in theory shocks should be the next best price/performance mod. followed by springs, ect...

ive "instructed" at a few track days and the biggest problem ive seen is people who dont know how to heel-toe downshift. practice it on the street, at every stoplight, until it becomes second nature. if you can get that down perfect you can concentrate on the actual corner more. LEARN THIS BEFORE YOU DO A TRACK DAY!! it will make you a better, faster driver.

hope that helps...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RussTypeS said:
what are you going to be doing with the car? track? autox? both? is there a specific class you want to compete in or do you just wanna go out and have fun?
excellent questions. i'd mostly like to track (i've done a few autox events in the past but i prefer the track). i'd like to stay in the class closest to stock as possible but i also want to loose the 4x4 look so i'm probably not going to make stock.

the kumho mx will serve you better for track duty. just realize neither are true race tires, which is fine because you should really learn on street tires anyway.
that sounds exactly like what i need. these tires would most likely end up on an extra set of stock wheels (or rota slips) in the garage to be used for events only. i really want to learn on stock tires 'cause as someone else mentioned in another post i don't want to mask my weaknesses behind race tires.

for the money, crash bolts are by far the best mod. you need 4 of them $4 each from acura, put as much camber in the front wheels as you can. it will completely transform the car, for only $16.
i tried searching for crash bolts and you seem to be the foremost proponent. how about a posting a sticky? ;) seriously, can you explain that a bit more?

i've "instructed" at a few track days and the biggest problem ive seen is people who dont know how to heel-toe downshift. LEARN THIS BEFORE YOU DO A TRACK DAY!! it will make you a better, faster driver.
believe me, i've practicing my heel-toe for years, even with a bigass diesel truck i drive for work :thumbsup:

thanks Russ!

little a

·
Registered
235 Posts
if you dont have to prepare the car for a specific class i would get a real camber kit (eccentric bolts) as opposed to crash bolts. the crash bolts can slip, which really sucks.

not sure how much you know about suspension, but basicly when your in a corner you want your tires to be close to perpendicular to the ground (obviously). when your car rolls and the suspension compresses when your cornering, it will push the top of the wheel out. if you have no camber you will end up only using the outside of the tire to corner. the rsx gains very little camber when the suspension compresses due to the strut design, so you need a good bit of static negative camber if you want to keep the tire flat against the pavement in the corner. thats what crash bolts give you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would agree, with the RSX the most important factor is proper suspension setup and alignment (well, after tuning the driver.)

My suggestion - pick up a copy of the book: "How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn - It does a great job of explaining how to setup your car.

In my opinion, the most challenging problems I have had with the RSX suspension is bump-steer in front and roll-steer in the rear. you can approach these in a few different ways but the easiest is with stiff anti-roll bars, stiff spring rates, adjustable dampers and most importantly - not lowering your car too much.

There are a few ways to determine where your camber should be - but with the stock suspension there is so much body roll that you would have to go seriously negative before anything you do will make a serious difference, besides too much negative camber will reduce straight line stability and can seriously increase how long it takes to brake. But here is a good way to start determining if you need more or less camber . . .

after running at the track / autox whatever take temp readings for your tires (nothing fancy is required, I use a craftsman infrared thermometer) - measure the inside, middle and outside on the tire treads

if the inside and outside differ greatly that can be tuned by adjusting camber or roll-resistance - optimum is equal temps across the tire. If the outside is higher than inside you could use more negative camber, or more anti-roll resistance.

The center measurement should be the average of the inside and outside - this indicates improper tire pressure if its higher you have too much pressure, lower not enough.

Having the wrong tire pressures will negate proper suspension tuning - the problem with most street tires is sidewall strength. Many require that you overinflate just to prevent rolling onto the sidewall. If you decide to race on street tires it is important to choose a tire with stiff sidewalls (the azenis are a good example.)

Even if you don't want to modify your car I still suggest reading the book - it is really easy to make alignment changes to your car that will actually make it slower, but feel faster.

·
Registered
235 Posts
camber will make a HUGE difference on stock suspension. prolly more so then on a modified car, because of the body roll (which is really not that bad).

braking is not anywhere near as important as cornering is, i dont know of anyone who tunes there suspension to brake well over cornering, its just not that important. too much camber can hurt your accelleration on corner exit but the rsx doesent have enough power for that to really be a factor.

infrared is not adequate for taking tire temps, use a probe so you get the temps close to the cord (you should feel cord with the tip of the pyrometer). all the manufacturer reccomended temps are given this way. with a infrared pyrometer you are measuring only the very outside of the tread which will cool off quite a bit during your run down pit lane and since the last corner.

also you dont want equal temps all the way accross the tire, you really want the inside to be a little hotter. how much hotter will vary from car to car and what end of the car the tires are on.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What would you suggest for a cost-effective (cheap, but reliable) pyrometer? If I am doing it wrong it is better to find out now before I start working on weight jacking and then have two things to worry about . . .

And as far as center temp being higher - I hadn't heard that before, what difference do you try for?

·
Registered
235 Posts
i use the $100 longacre pyrometer, works great. the infrared is good for taking air and track temps, as well as brake and intake temps, so for sure keep it around.

not much hotter on the inside, maybe 5-10 degrees hotter on the inside, progressivly getting cooler at the outside of the tread. espically in the front, when your on the gas hard at the exit of a corner, you will tend to get the inside a little hotter if you have the right camber for maximum cornering grip.

·
Registered
563 Posts
My RX for a first track day: Front camber bolts - $30, Type-R rear sway - $100, Razo pedals for toe heel - $50, Motul or similar brake fluid - $30, and some better front brake pads so you don't cook your stock ones - $100+. The stock tires will do ok, just raise the air pressure 4 or 5 lbs. front and back. The stock suspension does just fine. Better is always better, but I think you'll be surprised how well the stock suspension handles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts