Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1801 - 1820 of 1855 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
LOL @ grip nation in the context of RS3s =P Come join us in RE71R land.

In other news, I did some VTEC tuning last night. God damn this car rips. I went down on power, but it certainly doesn't feel that way from where I'm sitting. Then again, I'm using the same timing map; although, I have had to scale the fuel down by about 30% at peak on every map.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
LOL @ grip nation in the context of RS3s =P Come join us in RE71R land.

In other news, I did some VTEC tuning last night. God damn this car rips. I went down on power, but it certainly doesn't feel that way from where I'm sitting. Then again, I'm using the same timing map; although, I have had to scale the fuel down by about 30% at peak on every map.
RE71R is an autocross tire, with track use it fades after 5-6 laps and heat cycles out after 2-4 track days...

·
Registered
493 Posts
warmmilk, do you ever frequent miataturbo.net? One of my favorite forums. Not a turbo guy but they are very innovative.

While I'm here, what are some of the lightest dc5/ep3s around that any of you know of? I had found a thread that a couple of you were on a while back that mentioned a couple of dc5s but can't find it. Shooting for 2150( no cage) and would like to find some tricks that I may have missed. I'm under 2400 and have about 260 more that I know of to remove.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
warmmilk, do you ever frequent miataturbo.net? One of my favorite forums. Not a turbo guy but they are very innovative.

While I'm here, what are some of the lightest dc5/ep3s around that any of you know of? I had found a thread that a couple of you were on a while back that mentioned a couple of dc5s but can't find it. Shooting for 2150( no cage) and would like to find some tricks that I may have missed. I'm under 2400 and have about 260 more that I know of to remove.
I'm on the Miata.net forum, miataturbo is mostly na/nb cars... so I don't really go there. I keep posting here cause I used to have a DC5, I asked a while back if I was getting annoying with my Miata posts, the few people that replied said it was fine.

As far as the lightest DC5, I think "Jordan Dc5" prolly has one of the lighter ones around here, although his has a cage now

·
Fat Free
559 Posts

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
didn't fade for me on 20 minutes sessions. I thought it would but I was surprised. Cut close to a second on a 60sec laptime with 245 40 17 compared to my old 255 40 17 rs3
Maybe, maybe not... I'll go with the majority for this one. For every one guy that says they don't fade there are 20 that say they do

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
From what I've read, if you give them a lap or two to cool down then they will regain their grip again. Also, they're a 10 point tire in Spec Miata. I doubt they'd be a 10 point tire if they got greasy after one lap and weren't competitive.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
From what I've read, if you give them a lap or two to cool down then they will regain their grip again. Also, they're a 10 point tire in Spec Miata. I doubt they'd be a 10 point tire if they got greasy after one lap and weren't competitive.
Yeah, but I don't wanna waste track time cooling down tires...

And I didn't say 1 lap, I said 5-6

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have had RE71Rs for over a year, 8 track days, 3 time attack days, 2 circuit crosses, some street driving, and they are still gripping fine.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
all the s2k guys disagree... few people I talked to at the track with these tires also disagree...

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1162022-rc1s-vs-re71s/

too late anyway, already have the tires. local guy with an NC got a set of 245 RE71R's, he's a fast driver, I'll see how they work for him. if they last I'll get some of them for my next set...

·
Registered
814 Posts
all the s2k guys disagree... few people I talked to at the track with these tires also disagree...

too late anyway, already have the tires. local guy with an NC got a set of 245 RE71R's, he's a fast driver, I'll see how they work for him. if they last I'll get some of them for my next set...
That thread is comparing them to a 100tw R-compound "slick". I wouldn't put the RC1 in the "street tire" category with the RS3.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
That thread is comparing them to a 100tw R-compound "slick". I wouldn't put the RC1 in the "street tire" category with the RS3.
linked that thread more for the feedback on the RE71R a few people posted about how its been treating them, not really for the comparison. sorry, prolly should have noted that...

I mostly went for the RS3 cause I know for a fact it doesn't fade, it may not be RE71R fast but its still a fast tire...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

That thread was a bunch of dudes comparing a 200tw street tire with shaved R comps. No shit the 200tw street tire is going to feel like it falls off fast. Replace RE71R in that thread with RS3s and they'd be saying the same thing.

The few people who gave feedback were also comparing them to their slicks. Yeah, when you're used to driving around on R comps, street tires aint going to feel all that great.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
That thread was a bunch of dudes comparing a 200tw street tire with shaved R comps. No shit the 200tw street tire is going to feel like it falls off fast. Replace RE71R in that thread with RS3s and they'd be saying the same thing.

The few people who gave feedback were also comparing them to their slicks. Yeah, when you're used to driving around on R comps, street tires aint going to feel all that great.
see post 1814 for why I posted that link.

and I don't see why comparing it to a slick makes a difference... if a tire falls off it falls off. my 215 RS3's are street tires, they're stick just as well on the last lap as they do on lap 2. the 235 Dunlop ZII's I had on my RSX fell off on a hot day but they were fine on most other days. thats comparing the same tire to itself...

also, the few local guys I talked to at the track that have the RE71R always had street tires. one of them said he'll be going back to the RS3 cause even though its a little slower it lasts the whole session. All the local guys I talked to with these tires were driving s2k's.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
see post 1814 for why I posted that link.

and I don't see why comparing it to a slick makes a difference... if a tire falls off it falls off. my 215 RS3's are street tires, they're stick just as well on the last lap as they do on lap 2. the 235 Dunlop ZII's I had on my RSX fell off on a hot day but they were fine on most other days. thats comparing the same tire to itself...

also, the few local guys I talked to at the track that have the RE71R always had street tires. one of them said he'll be going back to the RS3 cause even though its a little slower it lasts the whole session. All the local guys I talked to with these tires were driving s2k's.
It does make a difference because your driving style is much different when you're used to driving on slicks. Slicks are also designed to take heat without fatiguing because well, they're slicks. When a 200tw tire compound is so soft that it marbles, and runs faster lap times than some R compounds, the tire is obviously going to wear at a much higher rate. Do you want grip or do you want tire life? You can't have both and even Formula 1 has to make that trade off.

ZIIs or ZII Star Specs? ZIIs are a much harder compound than the RE71R and Star Spec.

BTW, joke still stands. LOL @ grip nation in the context of RS3s. :laughing:

I actually was going to buy some RS3s for the Integra, but I can't use a tire that has a sidewall so soft that you can flex it by hand when it's a 225 mounted on a 9J.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
It does make a difference because your driving style is much different when you're used to driving on slicks. Slicks are also designed to take heat without fatiguing because well, they're slicks. When a 200tw tire compound is so soft that it marbles, and runs faster lap times than some R compounds, the tire is obviously going to wear at a much higher rate. Do you want grip or do you want tire life? You can't have both and even Formula 1 has to make that trade off.

ZIIs or ZII Star Specs? ZIIs are a much harder compound than the RE71R and Star Spec.

BTW, joke still stands. LOL @ grip nation in the context of RS3s. :laughing:

I actually was going to buy some RS3s for the Integra, but I can't use a tire that has a sidewall so soft that you can flex it by hand when it's a 225 mounted on a 9J.
the local people I talked to run only 200tw street tires, same feedback.

they were the standard ZII's. the only reason I brought them up is cause I noticed them fall off a on hot day without any other tire to compare to. not comparing grip or anything else to any other tire.

its like 1 second slower over the span of a minute... #GripNation still stands. I mean I was pull 1.2 g's on my 215's... just cause its like the 2nd or 3rd stickiest street tire doesn't mean its not sticky at all

I know RS3's are typically known for their soft sidewall, but I can't flex my 255 on the 10" rim by hand. didn't have any issues with the 215 mounted on the 8" rim either, even got video on track, minimal distortion. I'll do the same with these new wheels and see how it is. Miata is also really light, so soft sidewall isn't as big of an issue as it would be on other cars.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks, WM. Wicked looking Miata. I had 94m hardtop set up for track days.

As far as tires go I daily with 245/45/15 RA1s. They are purportedly slow on the straights by a few miles an hour and they can get greasy. The reason why I like them as street tires is the grip gets better until they are on the cords (the only track tire that does this afaik), 9 1/2" tread, warm up fast, very good in rain to a point (decent track rains), and have a sweeeet slip angle. They are also very happy at -3 or more camber. I feel as one with the tire, enhancing the feel that our cars are lacking in. fwiw.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I start the RE71R's at 26 psi cold. Maybe thats why they don't get greasy on 20 minutes sessions.
Even at that pressure, I don't ride on the sidewalls, I can still see the little triangles at the end of the tread.

1801 - 1820 of 1855 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.